Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it was fixed but v12 has broken it wide open again. Here is the other instance from today and it also drove all the way in the right lane and stayed in it after it became a turn only lane and went straight across at an angle without any signal or indication (light was green). No one was in the Straight lane so I let it play out.

View attachment 1051438
Does it show it is a turn lane on the screen? (Does it know either from map data or looking at the arrow in the lane?)

Does it show it is a turn lane on the screen? (Does it know either from map data or looking at the arrow in the lane?)
Not sure since I don't look at the screen when it is F'n up. Will try the same tomorrow and look if traffic permits.

Map data can sure miss it up. I have a traffic island that when I navigate it routes around the island as if it were a Traffic Circle. Have to disengage to not look like a fool. This has been this way since 10.2 or so and v12 still does this. So weird that Vision doesn't override the inaccurate routing data.

I can't wait for the day when the highway stack goes to v12.

The v11 highway stack is usually pretty good, but it does a terrible job of merging into a lane w bumper to bumper traffic. It will slow down, speed up, turn on its blinkers, turn off its blinkers, and repeat a combination of these behaviors before finally getting into the new lane.

It's extremely unnatural and unhuman like and if I was the car behind the tesla, I would think the person driving is an idiot.

Last edited:
TBH, this looks to me like FSD isn't even engaged. Speed isn't the issue, not following the road is. I drive a highway that is MUCH "more windy" than this, and FSD has no issues with it. (BTW, definitely the 12.3.x stack) Maybe FSD was engaged, maybe it wasn't. But speed isn't the issue. FSD is far from perfect, but this just doesn't look like an FSD error to me. We know for a fact that at the very least the driver was not paying sufficient attention. Given that, and his excuses, my personal opinion is that the driver screwed up and now wants to blame it on FSD.
Agree - I just watched the videos. It’s impossible to tell since it’s just dash cam footage but it does not at all behave like FSD.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Many ex employees still get first releases. There are 2 or 3 in a FB group I am in.
That doesn't sound intentional--it could be that Tesla forgot to remove those ex-employees' vehicles from the "alpha" tester list. Seems like a potential lawsuit waiting to happen if a non-employee got a version to test with before releasing to the public and there was a problem.

That doesn't sound intentional--it could be that Tesla forgot to remove those ex-employees' vehicles from the "alpha" tester list. Seems like a potential lawsuit waiting to happen if a non-employee got a version to test with before releasing to the public and there was a problem.
My understanding is any versions that reaches employee personal vehicles are already early access Beta. Actual alpha releases would be in company owned vehicles.

Yes it was fixed but v12 has broken it wide open again. Here is the other instance from today and it also drove all the way in the right lane and stayed in it after it became a turn only lane and went straight across at an angle without any signal or indication (light was green). No one was in the Straight lane so I let it play out.

View attachment 1051438

Just for my clarity please. This is with nav set to go someplace? I've just barely downloaded 12 so haven't had a chance to even try it yet. With 11 if you don't have the navs set it does stupid stuff like that all the time. Pretty useless actually! So, just trying to make sure I understand. (Sorry if this is this blatantly obvious.)

Reactions: Yelobird
Was fsd using the highway stack or the city stack for you? I mentioned in a previous post that I took a trip to santa cruz over hwy 17 which is notorious for its dangerous and windy roads and it did great, but it was using the city stack which I found odd considering its a highway.

One thing i'll mention is that the hwy was pretty crowded so my car was just following the car ahead of me, so maybe if the road was clear, it may have taken the curves faster.
TBH I don't recall taking notice of this. I will wait to get 12.4 and take the same road and verify

...This is with nav set to go someplace?....
Yes.

EDIT: Just to add I'm still extremely optimistic and overall happy about the direction FSD is on since the v12 implementation. However it is important that this improper lane selection problem be address especially early on since it is likely that Tesla plans to at least base the Robotaxi software off of v12.

Last edited:
I can't wait for the day when the highway stack goes to v12.

The v11 highway stack is usually pretty good, but it does a terrible job of merging into a lane w bumper to bumper traffic. It will slow down, speed up, turn on its blinkers, turn off its blinkers, and repeat a combination of these behaviors before finally getting into the new lane.

It's extremely unnatural and unhuman like and if I was the car behind the tesla, I would think the person driving is an idiot.
And it didn't used to do that. I've done a coast-to-coast and two almost same road trips in my first two years ('21-'23) and it never had the lane change thrash. It boggles the mind how something so obnoxious becomes so prevalent at the "mature" end of the highway stack?

Reactions: David Wang
Not sure since I don't look at the screen when it is F'n up. Will try the same tomorrow and look if traffic permits.

Map data can sure miss it up. I have a traffic island that when I navigate it routes around the island as if it were a Traffic Circle. Have to disengage to not look like a fool. This has been this way since 10.2 or so and v12 still does this. So weird that Vision doesn't override the inaccurate routing data.
12.3 always tries a left turn from the center lane at a major intersection on the south end of our town. It is freshly painted and the traffic lights and turn lanes are clearly marked. The intersection was revised a year ago. Clearly it is following old, out of date, inaccurate maps and no way does it read lanes, lane arrows or pay attention to traffic signals other than color.

Isn't there a rumor that Tesla already has a Robotaxi specific version of FSD?

Yes. Somewhat more than a rumor; it's something Ed Ludlow has reported on seeing:

Some other (longer term) things I’ve learned about Robotaxi, in particular. There’s a small number of highly promising and viable Robotaxi-specific FSD neural nets in development. Dojo-based data center in New York is getting close. Nvidia-based data center in Austin is proving $$$ (expensive). Elon first tasked the software team to look at robotaxi-specific architecture / FSD foundation models in 2019. The barriers to progress were Dojo being behind sked. The hope was production by June 2022 but it hit in July 2023. GPU supply and compute constrains also held back FSD progress but Dojo did to some extent unlock that. The innovation that’s mattered is FSD software that is end-to-end (no c++ control Code). That’s been the key to unlocking a generation of software that could realistically power a 'robotaxi.' My understanding is that the promising neural networks are quite a secret that only a few folks have access to. But from a software perspective (because they’ll have to plan and build the specific hardware spec for robotaxi), tesla is making progress

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
v12.3.6 was bad last night. After getting into freeway 405 in Orange County to go to San Diego about 1 mile, FSD wanted to exit in .1 mile. The car was in lane 2 and it signaled and changed to right lanes to exit. I had to disengage to stay on the freeway. I am not sure it's a map problem. That section of freeway just went through a major reconstruction in the last 2 years. 1 or 2 more lanes were added and there were entrance/exit detours. The construction is complete now.

It does in some cases. An intersection I go through just had a turn lane added, and FSD saw and visualized it as soon as it opened up.
Or, your map was updated. How do you know it wasn't? If you live in a place where the maps are constantly updated and accurate, you wouldn't know.

What you are proposing, that FSD reads signs and lanes some places and not in others, makes no sense to me. How could that even be? Mind you, I agree that it used to. It's broken now.