Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD v9.0 in Australia is just a con isn't it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just want it to handle speed zone changes and stop lights automatically and dodge potholes - them I'm in! - I believe both these things are in the current plan.
Does it handle roads with variable speed limits? I don't have FSD but my Model 3LR with Autopilot does not recognise the variable speed limits on Sydney's M4, M7, M5E.

Does it handle road work zones? My Model 3 doesn't.

Does it handle School Zones consistently? My Model 3 seems to recognise maybe 1 in 4 (and I think that is via GPS more than anything else).

If it can't do these simple things, it is useless.

I imagine that Tesla have teams devoted to each country and its laws and road foibles - if they don't, then FSD will never come to Australia.
If they DO, I can't see why there should necessarily be much delay in pushing Beta and later to us. After all, the core software must be common to all cars.
However, if Tesla does roll out what is now Beta in the US but not elsewhere I can see a lot of people considering court action over the next few years. It's all very well for those of us who bought in to the brand in part as a way of helping the push to ecofriendly transport to go along with "it's going to be wonderful tomorrow", but the average joe who just wants to buy a car looks at his purchase differently.

Does it handle roads with variable speed limits? I don't have FSD but my Model 3LR with Autopilot does not recognise the variable speed limits on Sydney's M4, M7, M5E.

Does it handle road work zones? My Model 3 doesn't.

Does it handle School Zones consistently? My Model 3 seems to recognise maybe 1 in 4 (and I think that is via GPS more than anything else).

If it can't do these simple things, it is useless.

Agreed.. till it does.. and I think most feel it will, we just don't know how long that will take..

my car recognises speed signs and adjusts appropriately..
I guess you are talking about regular fixed speed signs: metal, white, red circle with speed limit in the middle.

My car does not recognise these when they are for Road Work - e.g. a 110km/h road that has 80km/h road work signs. The M4 (west of Sydney) had these fixed in place for over a year and not once did the car recognise them.

Do they have variable speed roads in NZ? This is where the speed limit signs are lights rather than metal signs. They can be on the side of the road or even above the road.

I guess you are talking about regular fixed speed signs: metal, white, red circle with speed limit in the middle.

My car does not recognise these when they are for Road Work - e.g. a 110km/h road that has 80km/h road work signs. The M4 (west of Sydney) had these fixed in place for over a year and not once did the car recognise them.

Do they have variable speed roads in NZ? This is where the speed limit signs are lights rather than metal signs. They can be on the side of the road or even above the road.
There was actually a specific question asked about the type of signs you are talking about. Tesla is working on pushing support of those signs:

Mine doesn't seem to have a problem recognising temporary road work speed signs. It does seem to in general be a bit more cautious about speed signs that have other things written on them though, and some road work signs are like that.

There was actually a specific question asked about the type of signs you are talking about. Tesla is working on pushing support of those signs:
Yes I saw that conversation too and was pleased to see it is likely to be fixed. The issue becomes obvious if you review dashcam footage of one of these electronic signs. I did wonder if the solution for this could have a detrimental effect on the rest of the vision system.

My S does recognise SOME speed signs, but "recognises" non-existent ones or signs like "80 Ahead". I always get it saying 60Kph on one section of the Pacific Highway North of Raymonds Terrace - I think it must be a sign offroad at the weighbridge but I've never been able to check that since I only notice the change until a few Km later.

Mine doesn't seem to have a problem recognising temporary road work speed signs. It does seem to in general be a bit more cautious about speed signs that have other things written on them though, and some road work signs are like that.
There were 80km/h signs on the M4 around The Northern Road for over 12 months. I would have driven past them well over 200 times in that time. Not once were they recognised by my 3. In fact, I didn't even see them come up on the visualiser - so it didn't even see they were speed signs.

So it will be in FSD but not the base Autopilot (which does other speed limit sign recognition)?
I'm pretty sure all perception parts of the FSD build will eventually be incorporated into AP. For example, they are already doing that with Tesla Vision for the radar-less cars and eventually that'll reach the other cars with radar also.

There were 80km/h signs on the M4 around The Northern Road for over 12 months. I would have driven past them well over 200 times in that time. Not once were they recognised by my 3. In fact, I didn't even see them come up on the visualiser - so it didn't even see they were speed signs.
Presumably the ones who had issue with were the variable digital speed signs often seen at road works, schools and on some freeway gantries. It is not in question that the system cannot currently read them. OTOH my car has no problem at all reading the standard non electronic speed signs that are pretty much everywhere else.

Presumably the ones who had issue with were the variable digital speed signs often seen at road works, schools and on some freeway gantries. It is not in question that the system cannot currently read them. OTOH my car has no problem at all reading the standard non electronic speed signs that are pretty much everywhere else.
Nope. I'm talking about bog standard metal non-electronic 80km/h Road Work signs on poles at the side of the road. There were 3 to 4 of these on each side of the motorway in both directions.

They pretty much looked like this: 80km ROAD WORK 900x1745mm CLASS 1 - ROAD SIGNS | Hi-Vis Mining

• Informative
Reactions: Flatbat
Cruise control (without AP) doesn't change set speed as the sign changes anyway (although it does recognise the signs) so you have to do it. AP will follow the speed limit down and up (as far up as the original set speed). I assume FSD is the same. Can't for the life of me see why CC doesn't follow speed limits, but there you are.

As to recognising, my AP1 car sometimes recognises roadwork signs, but not reliably. I think it depends on what else is written on the sign near the red circle. The 80-km/h-ahead type of sign is never recognised, I'm guessing because its circle is black rather than red. I haven't noticed what it does with variable ones.