Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full matrix headlight functionality just approved by NHTSA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Full matrix headlight functionality has just been approved by NHTSA!

I’m very excited to see this approved. Can’t wait for the updates.

A0591F1A-B737-4044-93E7-158700842EC7.jpeg

(“20191122-tesla-Cybertruck-driving-lightbar” by Kruzat is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge wheels were installed on racing cars to allow additional diameter to fit larger braking systems. People putting them on street cars are mostly posers.

While it's certainly true that race cars used bigger wheels to accommodate larger calipers & rotors.. there is practically no performance braking system in the racing world that requires 20" or larger wheels. As the guy above just pointed out, even F1 doesn't go that big and they are considered the pinnacle of 4 wheel racing. I think the majority of us are in agreement in that 20" or larger wheels.. is basically for looks.

The largest rotors I have personally seen on a street-legal, production performance car is around 15" and they look absolutely ridiculous. Its looks like a pizza pan lol. I believe the Z06/Z07 Corvettes from the last generation used rotors that big.. and still used staggered 19"/20" F/F wheel setup. Considering this car did hold the lap record for a production car at some racetracks, those massive brakes weren't just for shock & awe.. the car does have credibility. Porsche may also have gone even larger with 16" rotors and 20"/21" staggered F/R wheel setup on the latest 992 GT3 RS.. but I've never seen that car in person.

That said we are still talking about looks, more than actual performance. In the actual racing world, both the Corvette C7R and 911 GT3 Cup are the dedicated race car versions of these vehicles.. meaning they are not street legal. And both come with 15" rotors, 18" wheels, and absolutely massively thick tires. I'm talking tremendously beefy setups made to take an absolutely pounding from all the heat & lateral forces lap after lap. These cars are built to withstand upwards of 24 hours of racing non-stop. The guy above is also right in that low-profile tires do nothing well.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Any one have any insight on if/when Tesla will enable the matrix/ADB function of the new headlights?

They have been on the cars for over a year now and they still just function as dumb/static headlights. Even in Europe where ADB has been legal since before the refreshed headlights came out, the function has not been enabled. And the US has approved it a couple months ago.

Seems a waste to have engineered and produced such expensive and advanced technology in the headlights just to leave it sitting dormant. At least make them adaptive side to side for cornering if the full ADB functionality isn’t ready…

Any one have any insight on if/when Tesla will enable the matrix/ADB function of the new headlights?

They have been on the cars for over a year now and they still just function as dumb/static headlights. Even in Europe where ADB has been legal since before the refreshed headlights came out, the function has not been enabled. And the US has approved it a couple months ago.

Seems a waste to have engineered and produced such expensive and advanced technology in the headlights just to leave it sitting dormant. At least make them adaptive side to side for cornering if the full ADB functionality isn’t ready…
Very well could be that their primary purpose for switching to these lights was to allow the same headlights to be used worldwide (the matrix tech lets them set the country specific beam patterns in software).

I do get the impression that lighting tech is not really a priority for Tesla otherwise. They've been behind the curve since their inception in that regard.

Very well could be that their primary purpose for switching to these lights was to allow the same headlights to be used worldwide (the matrix tech lets them set the country specific beam patterns in software).

I do get the impression that lighting tech is not really a priority for Tesla otherwise. They've been behind the curve since their inception in that regard.
Possibly true, but I feel like the cost of matrix LED tech would be more expensive than just having regional variants of headlights. Although they still use the “old” style headlight in the MYLR so they’re not using the matrix lights universally yet.

They seem to be improving with lighting though. The latest Model Y and Model S tail lights are the best tail light efforts I’ve seen from Tesla thus far. Their older lighting definitely left a lot to be desired. Big tail light housings with just a small portion used for combined brake and turn signals. Model X was the worst IMO and Model 3 was not great.

I’m a big fan of high end lighting and have always regarded Audi to be the leaders in automotive light tech. Somehow I had no idea what ADB was and had to do the google thing. Hopefully this feature will be enabled soon cause its damn cool! As I get older I’m finding it harder and harder to see the road lines at night. Especially with all the jerkoffs throwing led bulbs in their old non projected housings causing light to be thrown everywhere blinding everyone coming the other way... This would be super helpful.

Anyone have insight on timing to enable matrix?
I’m coming from a BMW M4 which I coded to enable the European “anti-dazzle” feature. I’ll miss it when my Tesla comes along… Looking forward to this feature
Tesla has not made any statements about when or if they will have software for this, so any info at this point is just speculation.

And if Tesla ever does make statements about availability, they’re probably just speculating, too;)

• Funny
Reactions: E90alex