Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No reason to not use GA4 once they have it up. Just take it apart and reassemble it elsewhere.

Sure there is. Once GA2 and GA3 are both capable of ~5k/week, there probably isn't capacity in the rest of the Model 3 pipeline to exceed that by much. So now reason to keep GA4. Of course maybe the GA4 equipment can be reused to make a different low volume vehicle. (Tesla Semi and Roadster come to mind.)

Reactions: dc_h and neroden
Sure there is. Once GA2 and GA3 are both capable of ~5k/week, there probably isn't capacity in the rest of the Model 3 pipeline to exceed that by much. So now reason to keep GA4. Of course maybe the GA4 equipment can be reused to make a different low volume vehicle. (Tesla Semi and Roadster come to mind.)
Oh well that's what I meant...they can use the line for model Y or whatever you want, an assembly line is an assembly line...I wasn't very clear... Or if model 3 demand surges higher than expected...or put it in Shanghai to make model 3s there.

Reactions: neroden
Shorts not showing a shred of human decency while many of them mocking Elon on the Thai rescue mission. I really under estimated how inherently evil they are.

Seriously, I’m almost expecting shorts to try to sabotage the rescue somehow.

If he does succeed, I’ll be waiting for the articles saying that Elon planted the kids in the cave in the first place just so he could distract from Tesla’s financial problems.

And why has he never rescued any females or Jews who were trapped in caves? He’s obviously a misogynistic anti-Semite.

Well, it *is* how Hitler took power; Germany was a nominal democracy at the time, but it was under very high stress due to reparations, the Great Depression, deflation, hyperinflation, and a revanchist anti-democratic powerbase of Junkers.

More recently, similar corruption of facts were used to take power by the dictator Orban in Hungary. And Erdogan in Turkey -- but there was more active civil society in Turkey, so the media and military control is a lot weaker for Erdogan. And this corruption of facts is what Putin does, but Russians are used to it, since their leaders have been feeding them obvious lies and propaganda since the days of the Tsars. Anyway, the US isn't in that bad a shape... yet. We have the advantage in the US that nobody can can have 100% control of the media, or even of the police or military (due to the thousands of individually elected local and state governments); controlling the national government isn't controlling the government here, whereas it is in Russia or Hungary (and also in Turkey but slightly less so in Turkey, which is why Erdogan is weaker).

Frankly this is small beer compared to Trump's horrific campaign of lies trying to encourage people to behave abusively towards anyone perceived as an "immigrant". Now that's a Milosevic-level problem.

Tesla and Musk have the ability to fight back against this disinformation campaign, in the courts and in the media. They are doing so.
Further, nature is on Tesla's side or at least physics first principles, along with greed on the part of longs like myself. (No dry powder, though.)

So stepping away from the craziness for a second, I have a related question.

Regarding the "tent" which we all know isn't really a tent. Given that this is California we're talking about, is there any real legitimate reason they couldn't permanently build cars in these types of structures? They can be climate controlled, cheap and easy to install, and would seem to be even more resilient to local earthquakes. Since they aren't going to get tons of snow on the roof like they would if they were in Minnesota or something, why do people take issue with this? SpaceX is currently building the BFR in a similar structure. Nobody seems to be blinking any eye about it. Are there zoning issues that would limit it's use? I just don't see the big deal...other than it never having been used in the auto industry before. (Big shock, Tesla doing something that's never been done in the auto industry before. LOL!)

Dan
They can permanently build cars in these types of structures in California. One of these structures is, IIRC, the San Jose convention center (or maybe it was another city) and has been up for decades.

Wouldn't work in Minnesota and probably not in Shanghai, but in California, sure.

Reactions: 22522
Seriously, I’m almost expecting shorts to try to sabotage the rescue somehow.
Given what they've been up to lately, I really hope Musk has good personal security.

After the wildly dishonest hit pieces, apparently suborning the auto testing agency of Luxembourg, and the paid saboteur, I wouldn't put it past these guys (whoever they are) to hire assassins!

If he does succeed, I’ll be waiting for the articles saying that Elon planted the kids in the cave in the first place just so he could distract from Tesla’s financial problems.

And why has he never rescued any females or Jews who were trapped in caves? He’s obviously a misogynistic anti-Semite.

Tell you what; pick three potential feline pics, open a poll and I’ll use what the consensus chooses for the remainder of 2018. Otherwise I’m going to change my avatar not just on the fly but also willy nilly.
I support your right (or privilege) to be independent! Your cat is way cuter than my sign anyway. I have a ferret picture somewhere, but the sign is staying.

Reactions: Krugerrand
After the wildly dishonest hit pieces, apparently suborning the auto testing agency of Luxembourg, and the paid saboteur, I wouldn't put it past these guys (whoever they are) to hire assassins!
I hope you aren't actually serious about it. You way, way, waaaaay overestimate influence and power of short sellers.
If I was to believe many comments here about them, I would see some sinister Cthulhu-like entity having it's tentacles everywhere. I mean, it is understandable you guys don't like shorts very much, but come on.

Hell, Russia hiring assassins (because of SpaceX rekting their commercial part of space industry into oblivion) is more likely - at least they have proven history of doing so for people that sufficiently displeased their el presidento.

I hope you aren't actually serious about it. You way, way, waaaaay overestimate influence and power of short sellers.
If I was to believe many comments here about them, I would see some sinister Cthulhu-like entity having it's tentacles everywhere. I mean, it is understandable you guys don't like shorts very much, but come on.
Over 10 billion dollars in short positions would indicate otherwise...
I also suggest reading @jesselivenomore 's series.

Here's a very nice writeup from arstechnica on Elon and co's Thailand efforts:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/07/elon-musk-making-kid-sized-submarine-to-rescue-teens-in-thailand-cave/

And here's a photo of what I believe is the Falcon 9 structure that they are attempting to fashion into a small submarine. In the Falcon 9 the tube is very long and runs from the bottom of the lox tank and through the middle of the RP-1 tank to supply O2 to the engines. Gives you a good idea of the diameter of the thing.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJTVkzIjXUR/?taken-by=spacex

Here's a very nice writeup from arstechnica on Elon and co's Thailand efforts:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/07/elon-musk-making-kid-sized-submarine-to-rescue-teens-in-thailand-cave/

And here's a photo of what I believe is the Falcon 9 structure that they are attempting to fashion into a small submarine. In the Falcon 9 the tube is very long and runs from the bottom of the lox tank and through the middle of the RP-1 tank to supply O2 to the engines. Gives you a good idea of the diameter of the thing.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJTVkzIjXUR/?taken-by=spacex

Looks like the rescue efforts are starting to get 4 kids out. Folks hurrying due to downpour overnight.

@yayqe on Twitter is probably the best follow if you want updates by the minute.

Edit: it's been 8 hours since Elon said it should take 8 hours. Hopefully there's an update soon.

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog
A later tweet seems to indicate Elon is refering to M.T.:
I'm not sure indicates that. If for example Lopez bribed another Tesla employee and that employee went on record about the bribe then it would be reasonable for Tesla to think that probably Trip was offered/given bribes as well. So Elon could be asking about Trip being bribed even if he wasn't the person on record saying there was a bribe.

I'd say it's not unlikely that Lopez has had dealings with other Tesla employees considering the other negative "insider" stories she's written.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and mongo
Status
Not open for further replies.