Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gigafactory 3 developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
China will likely to continue to support Tesla because China wants to become an exporter of EV. This is why they allowed TEsla into China without a local partner. China doesn't want their companies to be restricted when operating outside of their home market.

But it's easy to forget that China has almost no major brands sold in the developed world. It going to be interesting how China navigates their branding. The ability to make complex stuff is ubiquitous in the modern world. Making the right stuff and branding it successfully is uncommon and not not an area where China has experience.
You are probably correct about motivation but quite in error about branding. China has a number of globally known and distributed brands, although only a few of them have been major direct players in the US. A handful of examples are useful:
Haier- globally well known in air conditioning and appliances
Lenovo- formed from the ashes of IBM's PC businesses
Anker- my guess is that everyone on the board has at least one Anker product
BYD- maybe not a US household name but well known to US bus buyers and many car/bus buyers around the world. (of course non-US helps, since i do note that nobody is surprised by the BYD I drive frequently.)
Alibaba- pretty close to a household name in much of the world.
Then there are London Taxi, Volvo, MG, Rover all acquired brands, of course.
BTW, As for "...China wants to become an exporter of EV." They already are, with BYD busses and cars and some others too. As the world's largest EV producers they're pretty quickly growing the exports, following their global dominance in Solar Panels, among other things.

If you had said China strongly desired to have the reputation for excellence in EV's that Tesla already has I would have agreed without reservation.
It is indeed sad to have so many people still underestimating China.

5m5 minutes ago
Now Chinese News channels largely report Tesla China GF3 is in 1st stage of construction:

1. Assembly-line will ready 2H2019 for production
2. Ahead of schedule by 1yr
3. Save $3600 trans cost per
4. With local supply chains & labors, can lower 1/3 sales price.

Vincent on Twitter
He should have also noted explicitly that the 2H 2019 production will be CKD with full manufacturing to follow thereafter. For some reason many Chinese and foreign reports missed that one although China Daily got it. That is an important reason for being able to enter production in less than a year start to commence production.

You are probably correct about motivation but quite in error about branding. China has a number of globally known and distributed brands, although only a few of them have been major direct players in the US. A handful of examples are useful:
Haier- globally well known in air conditioning and appliances
Lenovo- formed from the ashes of IBM's PC businesses
Anker- my guess is that everyone on the board has at least one Anker product
BYD- maybe not a US household name but well known to US bus buyers and many car/bus buyers around the world. (of course non-US helps, since i do note that nobody is surprised by the BYD I drive frequently.)
Alibaba- pretty close to a household name in much of the world.
Then there are London Taxi, Volvo, MG, Rover all acquired brands, of course.
BTW, As for "...China wants to become an exporter of EV." They already are, with BYD busses and cars and some others too. As the world's largest EV producers they're pretty quickly growing the exports, following their global dominance in Solar Panels, among other things.

If you had said China strongly desired to have the reputation for excellence in EV's that Tesla already has I would have agreed without reservation.
It is indeed sad to have so many people still underestimating China.

You made my point. For the worlds largest manufacturer and the worlds largest country the list of brands couldn't be smaller.

In the EV space China will eventually have their Hyundai which sells against world class auto makers. But they don't have that today.

Reactions: dhrivnak
You made my point. For the worlds largest manufacturer and the worlds largest country the list of brands couldn't be smaller.

In the EV space China will eventually have their Hyundai which sells against world class auto makers. But they don't have that today.
Oh, now I understand. Countries such as the US, Japan and Korea, have been at the global branding name for 120 years, ~70 years and ~50 years respectively and have developed widely global recognized brands only after roughly 30 years of systematic effort. China began their efforts only after ~25 years of development and have been seeking wider brand recognition during the last 15 years or so. In any event the old-fashioned branding value is diminishing rapidly in several sectors, even in motor vehicles and retailing the most highly valued global brands are relative newcomers, notably Tesla, Amazon and Alibaba. Thus China certainly is not trying to emulate old-fashioned brands.

The matter of consequence is competitiveness and value-added in terms that apply to the prime consumers. Oddly, even stellar banding icons such as LVMH have recognized the need to move towards services and experiential value, thus buying Belmond.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
That's not good at all. I really hope all the important stuff on Giga 3 is elevated at least 3 meters from ground level!
Somebody please tweet Elon!!!!!!!! This is probably one of the worst locations for future climate change. Typhoons and torrential rains are commonplace and will only get worst. this area will be under water (how much under is the question) every year.
111-62.jpg

This is probably one of the worst locations for future climate change. Typhoons and torrential rains are commonplace and will only get worst. this area will be under water (how much under is the question) every year.

I also am concerned.

That was previously discussed up-thread.
Consensus was that

1. the building would be multi-level , first floor wouldn't be housing critical infrastructure, mostly storage
2. there is a water way exit to ocean nearby where water would be pumped
3. very close to major transportation/distribution
4. relatively warmer temperatures good for battery prep/storage (you don't want battery cells sitting around in sub-zero temps)

Anyone else notice there is not any visible development for a test track? I'm wondering if they'll test inside and then load directly onto haulers parked at the angled loading docks.

Could just be planned for later in the year too. A parking lot is simple compared to what has already been done.

• Helpful
Reactions: immunogold
Anyone else notice there is not any visible development for a test track? I'm wondering if they'll test inside and then load directly onto haulers parked at the angled loading docks.

Could just be planned for later in the year too. A parking lot is simple compared to what has already been done.
The test track in Tilburg is inside the building, they're possibly doing the same:

Those two guys who post the weekly YouTube videos of Gigafactory 3 are probably staking out the facility right now to catch the first Model 3 to roll out and hit the newly installed Supercharger outside the building. Even if they wait until the end of the week, the overhead shots of the large lot outside should provide evidence of actual production start.

That should get some media traction...

Here is the 10-11 update video:

RT

Last edited:
Reactions: SmartElectric
We have seen spy shots of quite a bit other operations, but nothing on the paint booths. And automotive "experts" like Bertell Schmitt who claims to have 180+ years of industry experience have claimed in Twitter that it is impossible to get a plant up and running in less than 5 years.

Paint is less easy to access so less likely to have leaked photos. (Clean room type protections).

Yeah, I'm gonna go with he doesn't know Schmitt. No way any single piece takes more than a few months to install. Supplier lead times, planning, and dependencies cause long timelines. If you have your orders in and plans done, no reason they didn't compress the buildout to a year.

Reactions: Electroman