Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This misunderstanding of the "2/3 orange" rear window actually being fully coated has got to be one of the most questioned things I have seen on the forum in a long time.
It just isn't that intuitive that another layer of partial tint causes the IR coating to reflect vs "pass through" the light that causes the interesting colored water beads.

For what it is worth, on my back window, when it is coated in dew, and I see the top 2/3 showing the (mostly orange) colors, if I stare closely as the lower 1/3 at a sharp angle I can see a little bit of the colored effect there too.
So even though many still seem to question/doubt it, I think it is probably true that all of those older rear windows are 100% IR coated and it is true that a different layer of (polarizing?) tint causes it to look like the bottom part isn't coated the same way.

So I think the colored dew drop effect is mostly due to 2 different layers of different kinds of coatings interacting with the light and water drops.

(Phew)

hah! i think you politely called me out on my improper use of refraction. Yeah I was thinking the stuff that isn't reflected is refracted, which probably ends up in the cabin.

To be refracted the light needs to be transmitted. You didn't use the term correct but the rest was correct. You opponent on the other hand did make factual mistakes. For example he got the dependency between color and the properties backwards.

There's difference between engineering 'truths' and scientific 'truth' as in many cases engineers do not need to care about distinction either because it is close enough or in practice they will never encounter contrary cases.

And scientific truth is not absolute either as it is just some theory that happens to work very well and that manages to predict unknown effects. That's why if you are scientist you ideally need to doubt everything. This is unfortunately not practical all the time...

And there's absolute truth - mathematical :)

(You could probably tell that I'm a mathematician by education)

Well, I don't know. I think I always see mine looking the same and don't recall ever seeing the whole thing look colored. Here are some other pics of my car when it was damp outside:
View attachment 332987
View attachment 332988

So what you are saying is that there is an IR reflective coating all over the whole thing, but some under tint only on part of it that changes how light reflects?
I have seen other Tesla where the whole window had the orange glow, but never seen the backmost part of mine do that.

Actually your pictures demonstrate the effect nicely: the top picture has virtually no glow on the bottom but on the bottom one you could see it but muted. Try putting some temporary tinting under part of the bottom part of it and it is likely that the part with extra tinting will be more like top part but no the part without it. You may not even need temporary tinting but just press some black clothing against the lower part of the window.

• Informative
Reactions: EVnut
You didn't use the term correctly but...

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

Yes, I wrote it differently at first and when rephrasing didn't catch that part :(

I could also blame it on English being my 4th language although in practice it is closer to being 3rd... The thing that gets me the most is the usage of 'the' and 'a/an' - I tend to use them much less than native speakers do (I skipped the 'the' before the 'most' at first :) ).

• Funny
Reactions: EVnut
Yes, I wrote it differently at first and when rephrasing didn't catch that part :(

I could also blame it on English being my 4th language although in practice it is closer to being 3rd... The thing that gets me the most is the usage of 'the' and 'a/an' - I tend to use them much less than native speakers do (I skipped the 'the' before the 'most' at first :) ).
Thanks for generously accepting my humor in the spirit that it was intended. I can barely manage with one language, so you get great respect from me!

Cheers,

Actually your pictures demonstrate the effect nicely: the top picture has virtually no glow on the bottom but on the bottom one you could see it but muted. Try putting some temporary tinting under part of the bottom part of it and it is likely that the part with extra tinting will be more like top part but no the part without it. You may not even need temporary tinting but just press some black clothing against the lower part of the window.
Agreed, @TEG

The lower picture says it all. You managed to get an angle that shows that the orange is there even when the lower glass is still clear. Putting tint film on that section would make the lower portion appear the same orange color as the rest of the top glass. At least that's how this works with 100% the other cars with "partial" orange on the back.

I was trying to decide whether to tint or not so I purchased a small bit of 3M CR70 Crystaline series. I cut it into strips and applied an "X" on each window. Using a FLIR, I then imaged the heat coming off a black card stock inside the cabin. For the windshield, side windows, and lower rear, the "X" showed clearly on the card stock in the thermal image (was cooler where the tint was applied). Under the top and the upper part of the rear, the "X" could not be seen in the image (tint added no discernible additional reduction in the IR getting through). My model 3 has no orange tint on the rear window at all but this test suggests it *does* still have IR blocking for the top portion of the rear window.
Windshield:
WindshieldIR.jpg
WindshieldVis.jpg

Sunroof:
TopIR.jpg
TopVis.jpg

Rear top:
RearTopIR.jpg
RearTopVis.jpg

Rear bottom:
RearIR.jpg
RearVis.jpg

Side window:
SideIR.jpg

Attachments

• WindshieldVis.jpg
    WindshieldVis.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 72
That is rather interesting if new production has indeed reverted back to the prior glass design.

BTW, I had the non-iridescent glass, had it replaced with the iridescent glass, but it is pretty hard to see out of it with the defroster on due to being distorted. Is that how the non-iridescent glass is as well?

That is rather interesting if new production has indeed reverted back to the prior glass design.

BTW, I had the non-iridescent glass, had it replaced with the iridescent glass, but it is pretty hard to see out of it with the defroster on due to being distorted. Is that how the non-iridescent glass is as well?

It’s not necessarily a design thing at all. It’s more likely it’s that Tesla had to source another supplier temporarily to meet production goals.