Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I talked to my wife and despite waiting a decade for an affordable Tesla, the glass roof is definitely a no-go. There wasn't anything in Musk's presentation or any press release to make me think it's an option. Someone mentioned that it was, but nothing I've been able to find says so. Oh, well. Maybe by 2018 there will be a 5-door with a real roof.

Just curious, what are your main concerns about a glass roof? Heat, Cold etc?

These concepts all came with it, but I am absolutely sure in production pano roof will be an option. Pano roof is an option in all similar competitors and cost like 1.5k. To offer one for free is dumb for business, and also really would put constraints on other features if they want to keep the car at 35k.

I'm frankly surprised by all the negativity re:glass roofs. I got the pano for the head room. It looks fantastic on my white car. It is super easy to clean and I see no downsides expect some weight and wind noise. Presumably a fixed glass roof would have less of both downsides and I do wish I had that option for the S. But I do wind up opening the roof for a few minutes to vent the car.

To not buy a car you have been waiting a decade before over a glass roof? You will have to give me a story of how you or someone you know had a Pano S and couldn't stand it. I don't think I've ever heard that story.

The presentation by Elon suggested the glass roof is standard. They wanted the wow factor and headroom standard. The unveiling mentioned this starting about 13 minutes in, where Elon describes how it'll fit five adults comfortably. The first part of that comfort is moving the front seats forward, and the second part is the glass roof in the back seats. The front window, which is like the model X, will likely have an optional moonroof type opening, but will likely be solid glass by standard specs.

3 roof.JPG

I'm assuming a lot of you are not Model S owners. A Model S with pano roof has essentially an all glass roof.

There seems to be no issues with heat or cold. There have been no issues with cracking or chipping been reported.

Anyone with concerns should pop over to the Model S forums to read about experiences. There have been issues with creaks and operation of the mechanics, but a non-opening glass roof should resolve those issues.

What will you choose solid metal, fixed glass or retractable glass? would love to hear people thoughts.
Solid roof for me. I don't want to have to wear a broad brim hat while driving to deal with the glare. Also, a conventional roof offers some sound dampening so a glass roof figures to be noisier. Really glad to hear that the glass roof will be optional. If it turns out to be true.
That's not my video, but I'm in the car. :) I'm the guy who asks about the panoramic roof.
Thanks for asking that question! (And thanks to whoever made and posted the video.)

I think that huge glass roof will be standard. It is important for headroom and is a reason for trunk vs hatch issue. Also, it's a bad move to offer options of the defining parameters of a product. Company needs to stand behind the feature even if it means losing few customers.
I hope people won't allow themselves to come to decision to avoid Model 3 due to glass roof etc. Sometimes, we are our own worse enemy.

Did not see this mention, but keep in mind there are 3 parts of glass. Front, top and rear. Are you sure that in the video he also meant the rear and not just the one above your head where you would get a retractable glass? In the rear such an option would make no sense. They would also need another design, because you obviously still want a rear glass.

So I think when he spoke of the 3 versions he meant the middle segment and not the one in the back, which is what I guess most people are worried about.

It provides both a sense of space and actual space. The cross-beam center support is just behind the front row. So it's completely out of the way. A lift/hatchback would not be possible. Remember how much drag was better for the Model X too. The glass will block out the worst of the sun, and you could even add more tint if you are really worried. My wife has a condition that forces her to bring a wide-brimmed hat w/ her where ever she goes. But she still lives on the Gulf Coast.

m3_glass_back.gif

Tesla seems to have a good handle on shielding their glass. I have a Pano roof and even driving down the Central Valley on 100F+ days, I have never had an issue through the ceiling. The X has more shielding than the S and so far, performance of the big honking windshield has been solid on bright sunny days.

Well, I talked to my wife and despite waiting a decade for an affordable Tesla, the glass roof is definitely a no-go. There wasn't anything in Musk's presentation or any press release to make me think it's an option. Someone mentioned that it was, but nothing I've been able to find says so. Oh, well. Maybe by 2018 there will be a 5-door with a real roof.
Definitely will be optional (see above, Glass roof). My wife just wears a hat all the time. But she lives on the Gulf Coast where sun is serious.

I find it odd that a piece of glass is a dealbreaker. I don't like driving with our BMW's sunroof shade open sometimes, but I figure that Tesla has already addressed temperature and glare issues and that they wouldn't be selling it this way without making it work really really well.

Love the glass roof ! But given that amount of glass, I wonder if there's a way to close it up like you have with a standard sunroof / moonroof. On super hot and sunny days, all that glass can get pretty uncomfortable.

Hmmm ... if it's anything like the Model S panoramic roof, which I think it is, heat, sun, and cold is not a problem. I live in sunny California and I've driven my up and down the entire West Coast. I sometimes park outside in the summer in the Central Valley where temperatures reach 100F. The glass is formulated so it is heat rejecting and also bounces 100% of UV. This is not your regular moonroof glass ... it's highly engineered.

As far as chipping ... umm ... glass is actually harder than aluminum. We do get rock chips on our Teslas, but this occurs up front, not on top of the roof. If you chip your roof in a regular car, do you replace it? Yes and no are both appropriate answers, so just do the same thing you would have done.

This same discussion happened when the Model S was released. All of us were worried about dropping six figures on a car with an unproven glass roof. Well, it's proven now. :)

You'll love it. Don't worry.

- K

Last edited:
I think that huge glass roof will be standard. It is important for headroom and is a reason for trunk vs hatch issue. Also, it's a bad move to offer options of the defining parameters of a product. Company needs to stand behind the feature even if it means losing few customers.
I hope people won't allow themselves to come to decision to avoid Model 3 due to glass roof etc. Sometimes, we are our own worse enemy.
It'd be a deal killer for me, and a lot of other Canadians. It goes down to -35 and even down to -40 degrees here. An all glass roof would be incredibly cold.

It's interesting that guy said there is a metal roof option. I definitely came away from the reveal thinking glass roof was standard. Did I misinterpret? Seems like a strange move to come back in a year and say, uhm oh yea that's extra. Unless metal would be option, which seems unnatural.

The way i interpreted the video is that there are three sections to the glass: the windshield, glass over the front seats, and glass from the back seats all the way back. From the way I heard it, the options pertain to the section over the front seats. For better or worse, this makes sense because Tesla has said they need the rear glass section in order to provide enough headroom in the back seats.

So, the roof section above the front seats will be standard with a metal roof, but have various glass options, and the rear will be glass standard to create enough headroom for the rear seats.