Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The appearance of the all glass roof is very aesthetically pleasing to me. I'll seriously consider it when configuring mine. Now as for "Fixed" vs "Non-fixed(?)," I'm not sure.

I'll add my dislike of the (what appears to be) very small opening for the (what appears to be) very large rear trunk on these prototypes. I really did want a hatchback, like so many of you... but I'll give that up for a really neat feature like the rear glass window being as large as it is.

Hmmm ... if it's anything like the Model S panoramic roof, which I think it is, heat, sun, and cold is not a problem. I live in sunny California and I've driven my up and down the entire West Coast. I sometimes park outside in the summer in the Central Valley where temperatures reach 100F. The glass is formulated so it is heat rejecting and also bounces 100% of UV. This is not your regular moonroof glass ... it's highly engineered.

That's very handy to know as I'm in the Bay Area as well.

I assume they'll turn the trunk into a hatch after this prototype. No way they're going to go from an already perfectly implemented and superior hatch on the Model S to that totally impractical hole in the rear.
I hope so, but someone else pointed out that if you look at the skeleton on the screen in the reveal video, there's an obvious structural member running across the top of the trunk/under the glass. It may be hard to turn that into a liftback.

Reactions: Az_Rael and 808?
Remember part of the function of the glass is to allow more headroom to seat 3 adults in the back. I'm pretty sure glass has a better cd number as well. This was discussed ages ago on the forum I think about the S.

• Informative
Reactions: ibdb

If this Tesla employee is correct, there will be fixed glass, metal, and pano (w/sunroof) options -- mentioned at the 20 second mark.

Listening to that quote, it kinda sounds to me like he's talking about only the center section of the three - over the driver and front seat passenger. That could still be compatible with all of Elon's emphasis on the advantages of the glass over the rear seats and the wireframe he had behind him for that.

It'd be a bit odd having a car with glass over the back seats and metal over the front, but it's certainly doable and would explain the two quotes.

Listening to that quote, it kinda sounds to me like he's talking about only the center section of the three - over the driver and front seat passenger. That could still be compatible with all of Elon's emphasis on the advantages of the glass over the rear seats and the wireframe he had behind him for that.

It'd be a bit odd having a car with glass over the back seats and metal over the front, but it's certainly doable and would explain the two quotes.

I think you're right and it does seem odd to have metal up front and glass behind. I'd go with all glass or pano for sure.

It'd be a deal killer for me, and a lot of other Canadians. It goes down to -35 and even down to -40 degrees here. An all glass roof would be incredibly cold.

I am not sure why so much concern. I drove my model S with Pano roof in both -20F (~ -28 C) and +100F (~ +38 C), never had troubles. I did not drive at -40 or +120, but I imagine the difference cannot be all that much bigger. In extreme weather I find the more inconvenience comes from the very cold/very hot driver side window, similar to other cars. Also never had problems with glare.
After having had the Pano roof with the awesome sensation of space, I would not buy a car with a puny sunroof or metal alone.

The glass rear roof is part of eliminating the c pillar to gain headroom. It also makes the hatchback design impossible. I suspect those that really want something like that will want the Model Y, which would likely have worse aerodynamics which necessitates a bigger battery for the same range. If they built that with the same tech as the Model 3, it would be more expensive and have shorter range like the X versus the S.

Reactions: PaulJB and MP3Mike
I like the glass roof option. But will probably look into getting all three parts tinted to cut down on heat.

I've had ceramic tint on my last few cars and it helps quite a bit with reducing heat. For an EV, not running A/C does increase range so tint will help reduce A/C use. It also seems to help retain cabin heat in the winter, but not to a large degree.

The Photosync tint, while a bit pricey, gets good marks and is likely what I get on my 3 (scroll down a bit for an S owner's heat testing):
Model S - Window Tinting

I don't even want to think what the replacement cost would be. I would guess at least $1,000.
I think it'd be crazy. I also would be concerned for an even greater chance of stress fractures due to body/chassis flex. Some people w/the S initially had windshield stress fractures.

Remember that convertible versions of cars typically have less rigidity than their non-convertible versions and automakers generally have to add extra bracing/reinforcements, but often, that's not enough to totally mitigate things. If there's no metal roof....
. I personally love it so long as we don't bake in the car on a hot day. :)
Yes. To me, the extra glass makes the car even more a of greenhouse either both when parked and in when driving w/the sun out.
I figure that Tesla has already addressed temperature and glare issues and that they wouldn't be selling it this way without making it work really really well.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. People w/the rear kids seats in the Model S found it was too hot back there: Really hot for the rear facing seats.

I'm digging the all glass roof of the 3. My kids will love looking at the clouds, mountains and trees through their glass bubble when on road trips. From the driver perspective a glass ceiling has limited benefit unless of course the car can drive itself. A metal center is going to look goofy with a glass rear and front, not sure why they would do that. I'm going to opt for the pano roof to allow for opening on those few nice days we have here in Seattle. Sun, heat or glare is not much of problem here in the cold and cloudy pacific northwest.

Meet the maker of the Tesla Model X windshield. Based on the new factory these guys built I would expect they will be the manufacturer of glass roof for the 3. Trying to find a web site for them but they appear to be a private company or part of larger group.

Meet the maker of the Tesla Model X’s “Big Sky” panoramic windshield

v-oid architecture completes AGP eGlass factory in lima

To everyone that does not like the all glass, would smart electronic glass fix any issues you have with it?

If you are not familiar, this is a film that you can adjust the amount of tint. It can go from clear to 100% dark and anywhere in between.

Hot areas could have it automatically darken and block 100% of rays on all windows including to windshield. Much better than a metal roof.

Cold weather could have it go clear to warm the interior. Again that would be better than a metal roof.

Everyone could have it auto adjust based on a set temperature when you are not around. You could also set it to black out for security.

Love the all glass roof. Real differentiator form other cars. Beautiful looking, more headroom, futuristic, did I mention beautiful.

I'd be tempted by an opening roof bit in the middle but only if it didn't spoil the look. I am sure the aircon and the design of the aircon vent (singular) across the dash will keep us all cool as well as the super insulated glass. This roof really makes the car in my opinion.

"I find it odd that a piece of glass is a dealbreaker."

I've been driving 49 years and have replaced 5 windshields, all broken by trucks throwing rocks. In some cases, my insurance covered a new one, in some cases, I paid most of the cost - upwards of $1000. None of those were a fifth the size of the glass top that has been shown. I suspect replacing the top will be so expensive that a 5-yo Model 3 with cracked glass would just be totaled by an insurance company. At the very least, I can't imagine getting the work done anywhere other than the factory or a very specialized glass shop, because speaking from experience again, the people that typical auto glass shop employs would not be able to do the job.

I might add, I keep vehicles a long time. In those 49 years, I've only owned 6 cars and two motorcycles.