Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from 2022.20.8 to 2022.24.5 – radar removal or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking around and can't find a straight answer as to whether it's being removing in the UK or not. I thought that there was some EU law about requiring TACC cars to use radar, which is why it hasn't been removed before. But it sounds as if updating beyond 2022.20.9 will remove radar worldwide (I've not seen anything to the contrary).

I'd agree with EVRider in being very surprised if radar is gone in .20.9 but not in .24.x

I thought that there was some EU law about requiring TACC cars to use radar, which is why it hasn't been removed before.
Does that mean a new 3/Y sold in the EU still has radar hardware? US models lost radar hardware sometime last year.

Maybe someone who installs 2022.24.x without first installing 2022.20.9 can tell us if their release notes mention Tesla Vision.

I've got 2022.20.9 downloaded but not installed. Would I have to do something to skip .9 and wait for 24.x or will 24.x supersede downloaded 20.9 at some point automatically?
If you get 24.x, I think it will supersede any pending update. I also have 2022.20.9 downloaded but not installed in my 2018 S, waiting for more feedback from forum members before deciding whether to install it.

If 24.5 is expecting data from the camera systems only, and doesn't use the radar, leaving the radar "active" by skipping 20.9 will either still not use it, or create some kind of issue with the expected camera telemetry (like when the car is camera only, there's additional data/fidelity to make up for the lack of radar).

So I assume that updates are cumulative, and if __not__ then they could/would/have implement some kind of dependency control (i.e., you don't get x.24.5 until you've installed x.20.9)

Reactions: DerbyCityY
Read the notes on 24.6 and it looks like the ignoring/removal of radar is included. Guess I have to get on board.

One concern - the notes say -
"It will rely on camera vision coupled with neural net processing"

Does the neural net processing depend on cell connection, like voice commands? That would be a non-starter for me.

From doing some reading..

2022.20.9 moves radar cars to Tesla Vision and is mentioned in the release notes for that version.

2022.24.6 also moves radar cars to Tesla Vision, but it’s not included in the release notes you’ll see in the car when you install it. It’s hidden in earlier release notes (for 2022.20). I don’t like these “hidden” retroactive changes.

From what I’ve read 2022.24.5 doesn’t move radar cars to TV, but I’ve not been able to confirm this.

I’m not installing either 2022.20.9 or 2022.24.6.

Have fun trying to stay behind. I don't understand people's panic over using or not using radar. The important point is that the systems (AP, FSD etc) should work well, whatever they use. Today none of those systems (radar or vision only) works well, they each have problems. Since Tesla will probably not spend energy developing and enhancing two separate code stacks to do the same thing, staying on radar means you're stuck with a bad implementation that will never evolve. Jumping on the vision stack at least means you get enhancements when they are developed. Maybe eventually it will work well, who knows. At least you're moving forward.
I'm surprised they waited this long. Probably because vision was tougher than they anticipated and they didn't want us to regress too much. Vision is probably at a point close to radar now so they switch.

A couple of points.

Tesla recently filed a patent for a high resolution radar, so perhaps they're not as all in on Tesla Vision as others seem to think they are.

Also, Elon has previously said that high resolution radar is desirable:

Obviously neither of those events are conclusive, but it paints a slightly different picture than "Tesla Vision is the future deal with it!".

As things stand right now radar cars that move to Tesla Vision are forced to have auto headlights (which isn't fit for purpose) on every time you enable it, and auto wipers (in beta, also not fit for purpose) which can't be disabled. You can't have a follow distance of 1 - good luck with that in London traffic - and are limited to a slower speed (5mph less, but still). That is a straight downgrade from where those cars were prior to updating.

I don't much care about "the vision" in the context of wanting to be able to drive a car that isn't degraded by software that has promise, but isn't ready for production, sorry to be blunt. I think it's perfectly reasonable not to want efficiency and performance you're used to being degraded post-sale.

Ah, not wanting to lose functionality is a valid point. Much different than the "I want to use my radar because I have one" or "radar is better because I know it" that I hear often here. Sorry if I put you in the wrong group :) .

Yes, temporarily it would seem like we will lose a bit in the follow distance and possibly the max speed. Auto headlights and auto wipers shouldn't be a problem in themselves, IF they would work well. Unfortunately these subsystems also seem to have flaws, which I'll discover once I'm forced to use them... The alternative would be to forever stay on code that isn't maintained anymore and has its flaws, like phantom breaking for example. Not that it's eliminated in vision mind you, but we'd be forever stuck on old, flawed and unsupported code.
So the only thing we could argue for is to wait longer before switching I guess... until we are satisfied that none of the things that matter to us are removed or made worse. Knowing Tesla, we won't get to decide.