Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from 2022.20.8 to 2022.24.5 – radar removal or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking around and can't find a straight answer as to whether it's being removing in the UK or not. I thought that there was some EU law about requiring TACC cars to use radar, which is why it hasn't been removed before. But it sounds as if updating beyond 2022.20.9 will remove radar worldwide (I've not seen anything to the contrary).

I'd agree with EVRider in being very surprised if radar is gone in .20.9 but not in .24.x

didnt the i3 use TACC via vision only?

How does that work? the autohighbeams are essentially unusable as they are blinding other cars routinely? Does AP just have to stay off permanently?
Kicking the car into autopilot also turns on auto highbeams. You can force the car to stay in low beam mode by tapping forward on the stalk, but if the car thought the conditions were appropriate for auto highbeams, the brights will kick on for a split second before you can turn them off. And since the car tends to be very poor at predicting when highbeams are appropriate, you end up flashing people whenever you enable autopilot. And since changing lanes forces you out of autopilot, you can end up flashing people very frequently if you want to use autopilot.

What's also annoying is there's no way to force the high beams on when in autopilot. It's either low beams only or auto highbeams. There are instances where there are zero cars on the road and I want high beams on. But the car gets confused at signs lighting up and then turns them off. Then turns them on again. Then turns them off again. And so on.

So at this point if it's dark, I just don't use auto pilot.

Will avoid the update as long as I possibly can. Have been ignoring it for the past week. At some point, I know I will be forced to install. For now, I am not happy with the forced removal of radar inputs for AP. A supply chain problem that Tesla had last year shouldn't force all of us to lose the functionality of radar. All legacy car makers use radar for their drive assist systems (I have owned/test-driven Toyota, BMW, Subarus, Audi, Mercs, Volvos before deciding to go with Tesla back in 2017). There's nothing like Tesla AP so far and all others are far behind for auto steer . But wouldn't want to put myself in a situation where my experience potentially degrades. Safety of my family is more important!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikecm1
My question runs against the grain of this thread. Does switching to Tesla Vision only result in AP improvement? I wonder if radar + vision was a stack they weren’t bothering to improve because it had no future? Does getting Tesla Vision imply it wasn’t using it before when it had cameras and radar? I have a 20 M3P and just installed 2022.20.9. I’m also in the queue for beta FSD.

My question runs against the grain of this thread. Does switching to Tesla Vision only result in AP improvement? I wonder if radar + vision was a stack they weren’t bothering to improve because it had no future? Does getting Tesla Vision imply it wasn’t using it before when it had cameras and radar? I have a 20 M3P and just installed 2022.20.9. I’m also in the queue for beta FSD.
Some would argue that switching to Tesla Vision will result in AP degradation, which is why they're reluctant to upgrade. Tesla Vision just means the cameras are now used exclusively, but they were always used, just not without radar.

Well after approx 1500 miles without the radar (per update), here is my experience:

This is in a 2021 refresh model S. Most highway driving and with AP engaged.
- high beams are not mandated
- auto wipers are not mandated
- no phantom braking (buy only had a few times in last 47k miles with radar)
- reads speed signs different: if truck speed sign and pass car sign are side by side, it reads the lower truck speed
- school signs read at 25mph now
- overall seems as smooth as with radar buy I am paying more attention
- seems more sensitive to vehicles in right lane approaching lane dividers near me

At this point, I do not regret updating to the no radar software.

Does kind of suck for you 3 and Y owners with the auto mandates.

Could not edit my post above but should say approx 2500 miles.

Also, did notice one thing bit not sure if vision v radar based:
In construction zone, it struggled to follow a barrel run where they did not put down any lines. I intervened before I could tell if it would have hit or not. Would this have happened with the radar on?

Middle of 5hr trip today. No real difference - been perfectly smooth. Very happy so far.

For giggles, I started with a camera calibration. Car has 47k miles and lots of bumps on camera do thought it could not hurt when changing to vision only.
FWIW: the use of that in car camera calibration option removes long term calibration “biases” while letting one begin using the ADAS‘s with a short time span “coarse” calibration, followed by about 500 km worth of “fine” calibration.

If one used the camera calibration option, then uses the ADAS’s and then can get a mobile repair chap to read the live state of the camera calibrations, one will get things like, “your pax side B pillar camera is still only at 65% calibration, etc, etc)

It like old fashioned airborne inertial navigation units. They could be spooled up quickly (about 90 seconds) and set into “navigation“ mode, but if left in the pre-navigation mode (alignment mode) as long as possible, the unit became less prone to errors over the following flight…

• Informative
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Kicking the car into autopilot also turns on auto highbeams. You can force the car to stay in low beam mode by tapping forward on the stalk, but if the car thought the conditions were appropriate for auto highbeams, the brights will kick on for a split second before you can turn them off. And since the car tends to be very poor at predicting when highbeams are appropriate, you end up flashing people whenever you enable autopilot. And since changing lanes forces you out of autopilot, you can end up flashing people very frequently if you want to use autopilot.

What's also annoying is there's no way to force the high beams on when in autopilot. It's either low beams only or auto highbeams. There are instances where there are zero cars on the road and I want high beams on. But the car gets confused at signs lighting up and then turns them off. Then turns them on again. Then turns them off again. And so on.

So at this point if it's dark, I just don't use auto pilot.
Gosh, this sounds like the auto high beams in a 1974 Lincoln Continental.