Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to pass on AWD to get my Model 3 sooner, anyone else doing the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me personally, AWD is less about winter driving safety and more about driving performance and enjoyment. RWD/FWD cars just aren't as fun to drive more aggressively within wide safety margins.

I think most "car guys/girls" would say the opposite, at least for RWD. RWD is more of the "fun to drive" precisely because the safety margin is smaller. It's the driving dynamic bandwith, whereas AWD won't let you get as squirrely.

In terms of max performance, without "fun" in the equation, yes, AWD is generally superior.

Reactions: DR61
I grew up in Northern Ontario and never had an AWD car. My cars were a mix of front and rear wheel drive, but always had snow tires. Had no problems getting around. Even with snow tires, I would always drive slower in the snow as a precaution. Happy to report, no accidents caused by me.

I live in Seattle, am not a prior owner, and waited in line to order. I planned to get a fully loaded AWD Model 3, but considering we get snow once a year and have been reassured by other Tesla owners that AWD is not a must have, am going to get a first available Model 3. I am a little concerned about traction with our frequent rain. I'll probably put a deposit on the M3 SUV and wait for AWD with that vehicle.

I live in Seattle as well and notice that plenty of RWD BMWs, Mercedes, and Teslas seem to do just fine in our rain and minimal snow. I'm not into performance driving and have never actually owned or driven a AWD vehicle, so I definitely plan on getting a RWD Model 3. Seems like the car's low center of gravity combined with my conservative driving style will equate to it being a-ok.

Our CDN delivery timeframe is late 2018 so far. Might change depending on the ramp. At that time Dual motor will be available along with the other options. I'm getting everything except FSD. AWD will have better resale for Ontario winters.

I live in Seattle as well and notice that plenty of RWD BMWs, Mercedes, and Teslas seem to do just fine in our rain and minimal snow. I'm not into performance driving and have never actually owned or driven a AWD vehicle, so I definitely plan on getting a RWD Model 3. Seems like the car's low center of gravity combined with my conservative driving style will equate to it being a-ok.

Traction occurs at the tire contact patch. AWD doesn't create nor add traction. AWD simply provides two more wheels to assist with the convenience of forward motion in case the two others can't find traction at the contact patch. The tires are pretty much on their own to do the more critical job of stopping/turning which can save your life/limb. If you have snow, RWD with good snow tires (e.g. Blizzak WS80) will do quite well. Works fine in Michigan winters!

I think most "car guys/girls" would say the opposite, at least for RWD. RWD is more of the "fun to drive" precisely because the safety margin is smaller. It's the driving dynamic bandwith, whereas AWD won't let you get as squirrely.

In terms of max performance, without "fun" in the equation, yes, AWD is generally superior.

For me personally, at a track RWD is far more fun to drive than AWD.

However, in the real world, with the prospect of having a bit of fun in public roads, AWD is a much better choice, less chance of a mishap with the wider safety margin.

Reactions: gambit48
Originally I was inclined to get the AWD version and larger battery, but I figure 3 years down the road a number of things will happen:
1. I will be making more money
2. Battery upgrade cost will be cheaper
3. Model Y will be available, and have it be our AWD option....

My first Tesla Model S 85 was RWD and, of course, it was a fantastic automobile. After 20 months of ownership I "upgraded" to a 85D AWD, mostly 'cause I wanted to experience AWD (my first AWD vehicle) and the enhanced AP capabilities. 24 months later still totally in love with this car. Hope to take delivery of a Model 3 late this fall, with RWD, minimal AP and the lesser battery capacity. The plan is the M3 will be the around-town, commuter car in the household. Just fine for the Seattle area, with little snow, lots of gray skies and a healthy dose of rain. Leaving the added comfort and range of the Model S for longer trips, etc.

Reactions: gambit48
Quite often here in Colorado it's the AWD and 4WD vehicles you see in the ditches because the drivers think having AWD means they can drive like idiots in the snow and ice.

I think I'll be just fine with RWD and some good snows.

Agreed. I also live in Colorado and, on normal roads, 2wd with snow tires (and knowing how to drive) should get you through anything that isn't climbing a mountain (or more than 6 in of unplowed snow). So, will be putting the AWD money toward the long range battery and premium upgrades (and guaranteeing the federal tax credit).

But, I'll be first-in-line for AWD Model Y to replace my 10 year old compact SUV (still need a ski car).

Model 3 != Model S.

It has proven a dangerous precedent to assume Model 3 features, quality, performance, etc will equal that of the Model S. While I'm sure it'll be great among its peers, this car costs considerably less than the MS, and nothing is free -- so I wouldn't assume equal traction or performance in poor conditions until tested.

Tesla RWD is better than ICE RWD. Better traction control. Look at the Norway videos in the snow of the original Models S.

Reactions: kablammyman
Keep in mind that Teslas have non-defeatable stability control regardless of drive type. RWD with stability control should not be a handful to drive regardless of the driver's ability. WIth traction control on (default) the RWD M3 should work well in rain and OK in snow with appropriate tires.

I'll check those out but keep in mind that Norway is as flat as a pancake. I am skeptical of the performance of any RWD car, even with snow tires on icy hilly terrain.

14d2f8f135089c42fc5d00b7a695492b.jpg

lysevegen-road.jpg
attachment-image-d3389ada-a9cd-4577-91b6-81b6979b1f98.jpg

Model 3 != Model S.

It has proven a dangerous precedent to assume Model 3 features, quality, performance, etc will equal that of the Model S. While I'm sure it'll be great among its peers, this car costs considerably less than the MS, and nothing is free -- so I wouldn't assume equal traction or performance in poor conditions until tested.

S RWD performance in snow is a product of being an electric car and software. I think the 3 will be similar.

Originally I was inclined to get the AWD version and larger battery, but I figure 3 years down the road a number of things will happen:
1. I will be making more money
2. Battery upgrade cost will be cheaper
3. Model Y will be available, and have it be our AWD option....

I'm in a similar situation, but I'm going to go for RWD, Long Range on the 3.

I figure, when it's time to move into an AWD, Long Range Y, I'll be a "current owner" for production queue purposes, and my Model 3 trade-in will be worth more.