Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Autopark ever scuffed your rims?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't had an issue, but I don't trust it and I think I probably should trust it so I'm just looking for reassurance. I used it twice today and I interrupted it both times by pressing the brake pedal because I thought it was getting too close to the kerb. But when I got out to take a look, it was nowhere near the kerb. So...please tell me to relax and let Autopark do its thing so that I can, you know, relax and let Autopark do its thing. :)

Reactions: GSP
It does park very close to the curb, but never touched yet. I have my mirrors set to tilt down when in reverse so that I can see the rear wheel, and I watch it like a hawk with my foot hovering over the brake, I've gotten a little nervous a few times, but only aborted once, and even then I just resumed without any other action and it parked fine.

Of course I get just as nervous watching my wife park it too (and I DO trust her driving!) so maybe the problem is me, and not the car.

• Informative
I have used the feature uncountable times and have NEVER been scuffed. I now trust it implicitly to the point where, although I will always look if I have nothing else to do out of habit, I would be totally happy checking emails...

I have compared it with the BMW i3 autopark and the Prius iTech autopark and the Tesla is the only one that gives me 100% assurance. I add that the i3 did hit the kerb once or twice and I never used it since...and then I gave the car to the wife.

The Tesla reassures you at every stage:
1. The speed at which it goes in is a comfortable speed, not too slow, not too fast;
2. The diagram on the centre console shows the spot and the proposed manoeuvre;
3. The reversing lines on the centre console show precisely where the wheels will go;
4. The dipped external passenger mirror shows the gutter;

And last but not least

5. This post should reassure you that the feature works like a charm! So rest assured my good man... it's out of the Standard Book of Spells, Chapter One.

• Helpful
I haven't had an issue, but I don't trust it and I think I probably should trust it so I'm just looking for reassurance. I used it twice today and I interrupted it both times by pressing the brake pedal because I thought it was getting too close to the kerb. But when I got out to take a look, it was nowhere near the kerb. So...please tell me to relax and let Autopark do its thing so that I can, you know, relax and let Autopark do its thing. :)

Homer - I've never used it for exactly the same reasons you bring up. Thanks for posting this as based on people's answers I think I may start using it now...

also try and have a look at how close the two cars you're parking in between are to the curb - the Tesla uses the other cars to park, not the curb. If the other two cars are REALLY close to the curb, the Tesla will probably try and park close as well to be inline with the cars..
Also if the curb is curved concave like this:
extruded_conc.jpg

the car may get confused and scuff your rims.

• Informative
Not sure I've seen that behaviour, mine parks the same distance from the kerb regardless of the other cars' postions. What I have seen affect the distance a lot is the kerb geometry, any slope inward or outward from the bottom to the top of the kerb can affect where it thinks it is, and sometimes even prevent it being sure enough of the kerb position to actually offer the spot for autoparking,

I wish I could blame autopark for the second scuffed wheel I just discovered whilst checking the tyre pressure :-( Neither I nor my wife have any recollection of doing either of them, are both really careful, and on the 19" wheels the standard tyres have scuff protection profiles! Might have to look at the rim protection options again I think.

I wish I could blame autopark for the second scuffed wheel I just discovered whilst checking the tyre pressure :-( Neither I nor my wife have any recollection of doing either of them, are both really careful, and on the 19" wheels the standard tyres have scuff protection profiles! Might have to look at the rim protection options again I think.

Lennier, rim protection is definitely worth it. I'm really careful but just noticed a very slight graze on my rim protection, which would otherwise have been my wheel...

Used autopark today to parallel park. It backed up okay but when it pulled forward it scratched the front right wheel. It also took a small chunk out of the tire. I've used autopark several times without an issue before. My MS is 5 weeks old.

I imagine there is something in the contract that says they aren't at fault if this happens? And how could I prove it anyways?

Argh. Starting to wish I didn't get the grey wheels, as great as they look. So easy to see scratches and scuffs.

• Helpful
Yep - one time, and it will cost $200 to repair.

I no longer trust Autopark, of course. What was odd at the time was that it was in a place (series of 3 spaces) that Autopark had successfully managed a few times previously. Only thing that had changed was a couple of software updates. Now, sometimes, the parking is crooked whereas before it was spot on and impressively so.

This is exactly why I would like a rolling changelog to be included with every release that at least makes reference to every functional change. This list has to be kept internally anyway - not hard to sanitize it for public distribution.

Now, of course, since that info wasn't provided, it's entirely possible no software change was made. How would we know? Could have been lighting. Could have been gremlins.

So most of the time, it does okay. But all it takes is one failure and then to not intervene manually in time, and it's time to burn cash as a result.

I haven't tried the perpendicular parking feature yet, as I generally avoid parking next to things that can create door or fender dings. The obvious concern with perpendicular parking being that unlike parallel parking, during which the damage is limited to a rim, a miss during perpendicular parking could get significantly more expensive. But I have to admit, it does look pretty cool and I hope to try perpendicular parking one day.

I love autopark and use it all the time. Still, had one circumstance where rear rim was scuffed pretty badly. it was a location where i autopark frequently, with no issue. I believe the only difference was that the car (truck, actually) parked in front of the space i was entering was much wider than the car behind it. Autopark took a very steep angle as a result and scuffed the back tire and rim. Of course, I can't know for sure i have accurately diagnosed the situation - it could have been something that made the curb appear in a different location to the autopark system or something like that, but it sure seemed that the configuration of the very wide car in front, regular car in back is what caused it.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
After 18 months of perfect rims, about 4 weeks ago autopark scuffed my front left quite badly :-(

It reversed in OK but then when going forward it steered straight into the gutter. Nice high square gutter - not happy Jan. I've lost my confidence in it - also I only used it as a party trick and the party didn't happen.

I've never used auto park, despite owning the car for 20 months now. With the sensors plus camera plus tilting mirrors its not a hard car to park. So far, perfect rims (touch wood). It's a nice party trick but I don't really trust it at all, and don't need it, especially with 30+ years of driving experience.