Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat pump issues fixed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the heat pump issues fixed via a software update? The media obviously made a big deal over the fact they were still an issue this winter after Tesla said they were fixed last year. The latest I read was that it was a priority for Tesla and they were going to release another software update to fix the issue ("ignore the sensor errors"). Then there was media silence lol. Did the software update work? For those having experienced it, is the issue fixed?

Thank you

Edit: My 2018 M3 isn't at risk, but I'd like to know my parents MY won't be affected.

My 2020 Y hasn’t been affected and I would imagine the vast majority of Tesla’s weren’t affected either. The anti Tesla media funded by BIG OIL and legacy automakers will make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Has anyone actually published an exact number of cars afflicted with this issue as a percentage of total production to date?

There were several updates put out. I never had the problem, apparently it only affected people in much colder climates (Norway, Canada, extreme northern US, etc.

That said, I'm glad to have the updates. With the last update my car was making all types of noises as it loaded, more mechanical ones than during a normal update. I think it came down to a movable flap in the lower airdam which could get jammed with ice. (I could be wrong on that).

I am located north of Montreal and yes it gets rather cold here. My Y is a late 2020, never an issue so far. They did change some parts last spring when I took it in for other stuff but did not see any difference. I am not saying there was never an issue as many were left in the cold, I just never had any. That being said, the heating system in both the Y and refreshed S are amazingly hot if you want heat, no complaints there. The last month or so we have been flirting -25C+ many mornings, car is always toasty warm.

In this video from Sandy Munro in which they're doing a teardown of the Model S Plaid he talks some about the heat pump issues and shows the inside of the scroll pump from the model Y they tore apart. It had a horrible looking inside surface, a result of galling or bad machining. Sandy looked skeptical that it was fixable by software.

I don't think it is resolved. There is a thread in the Canadian sub forum discussing this.

A bunch of patches have been issued and some report a few parts have been replaced.

We will likely have to wait until another round of -25C and colder to confirm though.

I am following as I have a MYLR on order and frequently experience -30C (-22f) and lower. I am skeptical that a software update can fix the issue.

According to the thread Transportation Canada has opened an investigation.

We're all assuming Tesla didn't do sufficient cold-weather testing, so sadly, all of you extreme northerners are doing the testing for us! My speculation is the octovalve/ACcompressor/heatpump, etc. etc. are a bit more fragile than anticipated. Complex plumbing, for sure.

(Yikes...I'm driving SOUTH from DFW on Wednesday, toward Houston...Temps expected in the mid-teens, f. Better take a blanket, snowsuit,...BRRR!)

(...OR...gag...take my daughter's 2017 Prius...UGGHHHH!!!!!)

My MY had the issue on a 12 hour drive in -14C weather in late December. Had no heat for 3 hours of the drive. Since then the problem has not returned and I have the latest firmware.

Additionally Tesla took it into the shops to do a full visual inspection and a test drive and no further issues were discovered.

NH is balmy in the winter though. ;)

Sadly my delivery date was pushed from Feb-Mar to April-May so it doesn't sound like I will get a chance to test this year.
Sure is! I’ve put on 8000 miles in less then 3 months. Lots of driving in single and negative temps. My only advice is to not blast the fan past 7 or it might be cold. It does great at lower fan speeds when extremely cold.

Sure is! I’ve put on 8000 miles in less then 3 months. Lots of driving in single and negative temps. My only advice is to not blast the fan past 7 or it might be cold. It does great at lower fan speeds when extremely cold.
Use auto climate - that's what it's for. Just like a house, you set the temp you want and don't have to fiddle with anything. It will save energy and only ramp the heat pump/fan up or down as fast as necessary to maintain cabin temp. I never touched the fan speed on my M3 in 3 years of ownership.

• Love
Reactions: WhiteWi
When I had my Model Y Long Range (January 2021) in for tire rotation and the Texas annual inspection last week, the service center informed me (surprise!) that they were also going to replace the heat pump pressure sensors due to the voluntary recall. This was while I was standing at the service desk thinking I would get out of there after a few hours. Ended up Ubering home for the day since the service center had no loaners available. They did give me $100 of Uber credit, which I used up in huge tips to my drivers.

Point is, you might want to check whether your VIN is inside the recall range. If it is, and you're proactive, you can get a service center to replace those flaky sensors before you end up in extreme cold with no heat. Otherwise, don't count on Tesla letting you know. I assume they're not telling people about this because they don't want to invite any more service hours than they already have. Especially unpaid ones.

When I had my Model Y Long Range (January 2021) in for tire rotation and the Texas annual inspection last week, the service center informed me (surprise!) that they were also going to replace the heat pump pressure sensors due to the voluntary recall.
Wow! I just read the replacement procedure for those A/C sensors. I'm blown away by how good they are. If all directions were this good anybody could work on their car. Can we get Tesla to create service manuals for Audi? 🤣