Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated steering wheel. Am I going to get my hands on one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My DS wrote me to say that the heated steering wheel will become part of the Sub Zero package 'starting early next year'. Meanwhile, the factory has 'some' of the new parts and they're being allocated to cars destined for 'highly cold places'. Didn't specify whether it was D's only that will be getting them.

Make of that what you will. I say, you pays your money and you takes your chances...

Yep, this is true. Up until yesterday new P85D orders were still showing December delivery. So I asked the question, if I cancel and re-order, when would I get my car and would it be a 2014 or a 2015? Haven't received an answer yet, but overnight the order page changed and now shows February delivery.

I love tesla, and everything they are trying to accomplish. But I think they botched this one. They should have seen this from a mile away. I can't wait until February. I sold my P85+ in October.

Meanwhile, the factory has 'some' of the new parts and they're being allocated to cars destined for 'highly cold places

I really hope Norway prequalifies as "highly cold":rolleyes: my DS havent even bothered answering my email about this sent a couple of days ago. So still unknown here. Of course my 2014-VIN might very well change into a 2015-VIN now if the delays are still having an effect.

Sorry, Norway. Minnesota reporting here. Your winter is our "shorts weather", so this "highly cold place" would like to get that heated steering wheel first. ;)

Yeah, you MNers are a looong way upwind of the Gulf Stream. Meanwhile, Denver has a reputation-by-association with the nearby ski areas for harsh mountain winters, so maybe I'll get lucky. :biggrin:

Well I wish everyone the best luck playing the Tesla lottery. Seems that every time you order you're doing so. I didn't order my 85D with the sub-zero package on it and while I might have thought about it if the heated steering wheel was listed when I ordered, I'm not going to bother with it now. No more changes!

I still don't understand why Tesla keeps doing this sort of thing. It has to cause problems for them. Creates a lot of questions from owners wondering if they're getting the new feature (during a time when their employees are already overworked trying to deliver a ton of cars at end of quarter), creates unhappy people who lose out on the lottery (who then complain and eat up employee time), and probably causes some people to refuse delivery.

[...]and probably causes some people to refuse delivery.

Wow, really? I would be disappointed if anyone refused delivery on a car that was spec'd exactly the way it was ordered.

When I ordered my P85D with the subzero package, there was no mention of a heated steering wheel (and there still isn't, as far as I know).
So if I get a heated steering wheel with my delivery, I'll be very happy - if I don't, I'll accept it gladly anyway knowing that it wasn't in my order.

Sorry, Norway. Minnesota reporting here. Your winter is our "shorts weather", so this "highly cold place" would like to get that heated steering wheel first. ;)
Hahaha, would have liked to see that in -25C which is occuring every year even here in the more warm part of Norway where I live:biggrin:

Northern Norway and longer from the coast where I live get -40-50C almost every year...

Wearing shorts in that weather would bring actual meaning to the term "freezing your youknowwhats of":cool:

Hahaha, would have liked to see that in -25C which is occuring every year even here in the more warm part of Norway where I live:biggrin:

Northern Norway and longer from the coast where I live get -40-50C almost every year...

Wearing shorts in that weather would bring actual meaning to the term "freezing your youknowwhats of":cool:

-25C is where we start saying it's getting a little chilly, should get a hat and perhaps gloves on...

Wow, really? I would be disappointed if anyone refused delivery on a car that was spec'd exactly the way it was ordered.

I know there were people that refused delivery due to the autopilot sensors. At least one of them posted here that they did so back then. Another person posted that they seriously consider it but Tesla talked them out of it.

Frankly, it's probably better for Tesla and the buyer if they're not going to be happy. Tesla gets to keep the deposit and still has a brand new car it can sell, even if they discount it by the deposit they haven't lost anything other than some time the vehicle is in inventory. If the owner takes delivery and is unhappy then Tesla ends up eating it on a trade that will probably cost them money (see Elon's comments about taking cars back in the House Always Wins blog) and that they can't sell as a new car, the buyer loses more than $2,500. Sounds like refusing delivery is a win for everyone.

I still don't understand why Tesla keeps doing this sort of thing. It has to cause problems for them. Creates a lot of questions from owners wondering if they're getting the new feature (during a time when their employees are already overworked trying to deliver a ton of cars at end of quarter), creates unhappy people who lose out on the lottery (who then complain and eat up employee time), and probably causes some people to refuse delivery.

Exactly!

When people are being handed the key fob for their Model S that they just spent low to mid six figures on, you want them to be deliriously happy about it. You want them to be dancing jigs, and to just be completely over the moon with delight. You don't want them thinking, "yeah, it's great, but the guy getting his next week paid the same price as I did and is getting something that I'd like and won't ever have." By doing things this way, Tesla is leaving that slightly sour taste in people's mouths for no reason. As I said elsewhere, possibly even earlier in this thread, it seems a simple and more elegant solution to the short supply of the heated steering wheel would have been to just schedule all the P85Ds with the cold weather package to be built for delivery at the end of the December production cycle, and to have built the cars that didn't have the cold weather package first. I say this as someone who, supposedly, has actually won this particular lottery. But I feel for those of you who didn't, and I know how upset I would be (or will be if the information I have now turns out to be wrong) if I were a lottery-loser.

You don't want them thinking, "yeah, it's great, but the guy getting his next week paid the same price as I did and is getting something that I'd like and won't ever have."

That's the price we pay for constant innovation and quick implementation of said innovations. It's similar to buying an iPhone 5S just before the iPhone 6 is announced.
Granted, it's a bit easier in the iPhone case since you have 30 days to return your "old" one and get the latest for the same exact price. But it's definitely more complicated in the car world due to so many new parts constantly being added to an existing platform.

Honestly, I really don't see the big deal with this. I know very well what I ordered and expect nothing less, but also don't expect more from what I ordered. It's a positive for those like you who will get an "extra" having not ordered said extra, but I don't see it as a negative at all for the ones who "lost the lottery".

Exactly!

When people are being handed the key fob for their Model S that they just spent low to mid six figures on, you want them to be deliriously happy about it. You want them to be dancing jigs, and to just be completely over the moon with delight. You don't want them thinking, "yeah, it's great, but the guy getting his next week paid the same price as I did and is getting something that I'd like and won't ever have." By doing things this way, Tesla is leaving that slightly sour taste in people's mouths for no reason. As I said elsewhere, possibly even earlier in this thread, it seems a simple and more elegant solution to the short supply of the heated steering wheel would have been to just schedule all the P85Ds with the cold weather package to be built for delivery at the end of the December production cycle, and to have built the cars that didn't have the cold weather package first. I say this as someone who, supposedly, has actually won this particular lottery. But I feel for those of you who didn't, and I know how upset I would be (or will be if the information I have now turns out to be wrong) if I were a lottery-loser.

This is the same for all products... especially tech heavy products. The are constantly changing and improving and if you wait a while, you will get something better. The dilemma is deciding when to buy and knowing that as soon as you buy, you will lock in the existing features and that the people who buy next month or week will get something "better". You just really have to accept that when you place your order, that is what you will get and that people who order later will get "more, better". You will get what your ordered. You might get something more but no guarantees. Other later orders will get more.
You just have to accept that this is the way it is... if you can't deal with it, then don't buy it.

In my personal case, I originally ordered an S85 for delivery in December then was able to change to an S85D for delivery in February. I ordered the cold weather package so I might get the heated steering wheel but it wasn't part of the original "deal" so I don't feel entitled to get it... if I do get it, great, if not, I won't feel cheated or upset or demand a retrofit.

This is the same for all products... especially tech heavy products.

My point was that in this case, where the P85D was just being brought to market, as the new flagship product, there was no need to have what will eventually turn out to be a relatively small number of customers feel less than 100% ecstatic on the day they take delivery of their car. If Tesla was this close to introducing the heated steering wheel they should have done whatever it took to make sure they got one to --all-- P85D initial purchasers who ordered the cold weather package and not just the lucky ones.

I understand that there will always be improvements in technology and that there will always be winners and losers. It just seems that this time there didn't have to be losers.

Exactly!

This is precisely how I feel right now. I just missed out on the heated steering wheel. People who ordered at the same as me who are paying the same price are receiving it. It might seem like a small thing, but the experience has diminished the excitement. Yes, I'll love the car. But it has left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm keeping perspective. It's just a car. I am very fortunate to be able to afford it. Not having the heated steering wheel shouldn't take away from the rest of the enjoyment that the Model S provides. But g'z.. really? Tesla couldn't see this one coming? Given the choice, I would have happily waited another few weeks.

This is precisely how I feel right now. I just missed out on the heated steering wheel. People who ordered at the same as me who are paying the same price are receiving it. It might seem like a small thing, but the experience has diminished the excitement. Yes, I'll love the car. But it has left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm keeping perspective. It's just a car. I am very fortunate to be able to afford it. Not having the heated steering wheel shouldn't take away from the rest of the enjoyment that the Model S provides. But g'z.. really? Tesla couldn't see this one coming? Given the choice, I would have happily waited another few weeks.
+1

Here's what I think about all the upgrades and the mania surrounding it from existing customers:

I read, I don't know where, that most/all improvements made by Tesla would be retrofitable to existing vehicles. Free wasn't promised, but upgradability was more or less explicitly offered. This was years ago, may have been before the Model S was even in customers' hands yet. Perhaps someone here knows what I'm remembering.

Now it seems that almost no major improvements can be retro'd to existing cars. On one hand, I certainly understand TM position that when making upgrades they needn't always consider the backwards compatibility. However, it seems wiser that they should. Nobody knows about these improvements yet (AWD, autopilot, heated steering wheel what have you) so they have time to work it out if they wanted to.

To hear that the new heated steering wheel can't be installed on existing vehicles because of the different wiring harness (the same reason provided again upgrading the sensors), means they're not planning ahead for these changes. That's a shame. Not a fault per se, but potentially a fixable issue from here on out: if the wiring harness is the issue, add in lots of aux ports at every conceivable place for future upgrades. I know vehicles use a BUS system that allows basically for sub-panels. Know that in the next 2-3 years you may add something here, there, wherever, and build in a little flexibility to the wiring harness now.

That's how I feel. I don't think TM has done anything wrong, but they could be doing things better. What say you all?

When I ordered my P85D with the subzero package, there was no mention of a heated steering wheel (and there still isn't, as far as I know).
So if I get a heated steering wheel with my delivery, I'll be very happy - if I don't, I'll accept it gladly anyway knowing that it wasn't in my order.

That's exactly my thoughts. This is part of Tesla constant innovation process... you 'll never get the latest upgrade as a new one comes as soon as the previous one was available.(Sounds like soon car will have a button to close charge port...)
This is (quick) evolution, and we have to accept that... or Tesla will become like any other car makers, bringing a new car with few new options every 2 years. What do you expect from Tesla? I'm expecting innovation.

I didn't get parking sensor and subzero package for the last two year on my model S as they were not available at that time, the new one will have parking sensor and subzero.... that great.

Here's what I think about all the upgrades and the mania surrounding it from existing customers:

I read, I don't know where, that most/all improvements made by Tesla would be retrofitable to existing vehicles. Free wasn't promised, but upgradability was more or less explicitly offered. This was years ago, may have been before the Model S was even in customers' hands yet. Perhaps someone here knows what I'm remembering.

Now it seems that almost no major improvements can be retro'd to existing cars. On one hand, I certainly understand TM position that when making upgrades they needn't always consider the backwards compatibility. However, it seems wiser that they should. Nobody knows about these improvements yet (AWD, autopilot, heated steering wheel what have you) so they have time to work it out if they wanted to.

To hear that the new heated steering wheel can't be installed on existing vehicles because of the different wiring harness (the same reason provided again upgrading the sensors), means they're not planning ahead for these changes. That's a shame. Not a fault per se, but potentially a fixable issue from here on out: if the wiring harness is the issue, add in lots of aux ports at every conceivable place for future upgrades. I know vehicles use a BUS system that allows basically for sub-panels. Know that in the next 2-3 years you may add something here, there, wherever, and build in a little flexibility to the wiring harness now.

That's how I feel. I don't think TM has done anything wrong, but they could be doing things better. What say you all?

I think it's stretching things a bit far to expect future cars to be retrofitted with new innovations. It just isn't possible. For example, the heated steering wheel requires special wiring, fuse, relay, controls, etc. in addition to the actual wheel. It's just not possible to retrofit all of this to a car at any reasonable cost and it's fantasy to think that Tesla would add all of these things to a car in case they might some day want to add that feature. The car does contain a lot of software controlled stuff which can be changed easily but in the end it comes down to hardware. In one interview, Elon said that they make an average of 20 hardware changes to the car every week. This is part of a process of continuous improvement. Nobody should expect that they will retrofit these changes to existing cars.

If your car was delivered this week, you got 20 improvements over the cars from last week and you'll miss out on the 20 changes next week... and all following weeks. So, please stop whinging on about "I missed out on X improvements" and enjoy your car as it is.