Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HEPA/Biodefense in Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Does anyone know if Elon has been asked about including HEPA/biodefense in Model 3s at some point? We have it in our S and really would like it in our 3 if it becomes available. Might even be willing to wait to place our order if it does, especially if we can get sunroof and SAS. Unfortunately I don't follow his twitter feed but thought maybe someone here does and saw the question raised.

Does anyone know if Elon has been asked about including HEPA/biodefense in Model 3s at some point? We have it in our S and really would like it in our 3 if it becomes available. Might even be willing to wait to place our order if it does, especially if we can get sunroof and SAS. Unfortunately I don't follow his twitter feed but thought maybe someone here does and saw the question raised.

I follow his twitter regularly and I don't recall seeing any mention of this. I believe it will be added eventually but that could be years down the road. With tesla it seems the best anyone can do is buy the car when they want/need it and accept their new car will become outdated, made cheaper, or an updated version will be released in short order. You have to be happy with what you will have and know you just missed out on something better. If you can't accept that than you would never buy a tesla because you would always be waiting for just one more thing...

Last edited:
...biodefense...sunroof...

Like Rogue one said, I haven't heard about those options ever mentioned for Model 3 at all.

I don't see why can't those be done by just adding additional cost.

The thing is: Tesla is trying to make Model 3 simple and easy for production and it wants to restrict choices. So, I am not going to hold my breath anytime soon.

Agree with above 2 posts. I'm guessing a 2018 Oct update will bring more goodies to M3, maybe the filter, sun roof, ludicrous, larger battery, faster charging, etc.

Yeah, since they're trying to keep things simple for ease of production, I wasn't expecting options like that until late into 2018. October sounds reasonable. Wouldn't surprise me if some stuff didn't show up until 2019.

I'll miss bio defense mode, but I'll live. I don't live in China. Or even LA. I can actually see the stars at night here.

I tweeted Jon McNeill about it (saw him give a pres re: air quality and health) but didn't hear back. It seems like a luxury, but to me, it's really something that should be considered a standard safety feature. It's relatively inexpensive (just the HEPA filter), doesn't have any real moving parts, and seriously should be included on every car. It'd be a huge differentiator for the brand.

And I type all of this as we're being smoked out in Seattle by wildfires that are hours away. I've been using biohazard mode for the last couple days and even park in the garage, roll down the windows, and sit with it on for a few minutes just to clear out the garage air before going into the house. It's crazy.

I tweeted Jon McNeill about it (saw him give a pres re: air quality and health) but didn't hear back. It seems like a luxury, but to me, it's really something that should be considered a standard safety feature. It's relatively inexpensive (just the HEPA filter), doesn't have any real moving parts, and seriously should be included on every car. It'd be a huge differentiator for the brand.

And I type all of this as we're being smoked out in Seattle by wildfires that are hours away. I've been using biohazard mode for the last couple days and even park in the garage, roll down the windows, and sit with it on for a few minutes just to clear out the garage air before going into the house. It's crazy.

Exactly it's especially going to be important in China as Tesla hopes to gain market share there. Sorry to hear about the fire. Hope they caught the kid with fireworks.

Reactions: dss33
And I didn't want to call out Jon for not responding - he has far more important things to do - but his presentation on air quality really changed my thinking on the matter, from something of a luxury to a necessity. The way he put it, the most dangerous part of a car is actually the tailpipe. More people are killed by pollution from cars each year than they are from auto accidents...by a factor of like 5 or 10.

It would certainly involve some engineering to build in the feature, but I think relative to the other parts in the car, it's a fairly trivial addition and one that would add an important item to the brand story. They're already seen by a lot of people as some of the safest cars on the planet - this would just push that over the top and get people thinking about how much cleaner and safer EVs are with respect to your actual health. At the very least, I'd say, it'd be amazing to make it part of the premium package...but why not go a little further and just make it standard on all 3s? Granted they don't need the extra orders at the moment, but it seems like the right thing to do, and a great strategic play for the future.

Exactly it's especially going to be important in China as Tesla hopes to gain market share there. Sorry to hear about the fire. Hope they caught the kid with fireworks.

Seriously! It's been a bad fire season in the Pacific Northwest. You'd think people would be far more careful with things like campfires and fireworks. We, collectively, need to be far far better stewards of this beautiful planet we live on.

Seriously! It's been a bad fire season in the Pacific Northwest. You'd think people would be far more careful with things like campfires and fireworks. We, collectively, need to be far far better stewards of this beautiful planet we live on.

Wildfires have been going on long before humans arrive. While human caused wildfires are disappointing and preventable natural wild fires are part of the natural reforestation cycle. Siberia has seen epic numbers of wildfires over the past few years burning 10's of thousands of hectares of forest, and most of them are started by lightning strikes.

We had fine ash on our car just the other morning and the sky was very hazy. Not fog but a fire that the winds blew our way. Hubby had plans on going for a hike closer to that area that morning but said it was very smoky smelling when he got out of our MS and instead turned around and came home. A few weeks back another area nearby had caught fire and lots of smoke and ash. These weren't major fires fortunately just local fires that were contained in a short period of time. However, once this stuff gets into your lungs it's there forever and the cumulative effect just isn't good. I always think about our firefighters who have to go into these areas and their long term lung health. I have allergies and asthma and have found that driving/riding in our MS with its PUP air filtration system has made a difference. If you live in the SF bay area it seems you hear every couple of months or at least a few times a year one of the oil refineries in the East Bay has some kind of accidental toxic air release and there's a shelter in place for those living or working nearby.

As to adding options to the car to make it closer to the pricing of the base S, yeah totally get it. For me however that extra foot or so of car length is kind of a deciding factor for this second car. Gone back and forth on what would be the best choice between the cars, even if we bought a CPO MS as the second car, and so far still leaning towards keeping our M3 reservation and seeing it through delivery.

It's a hepa filter, not exactly… well, rocket science. There's no reason a third party cannot easily manufacture this for the Model 3, just as they do for plenty of other models.
Needs to fit somewhere that has the air flow for a filter that won’t slow it down. The S and X are about the width of the car. Sorta hard to retrofit.

can you just get a roll of hepa filter, cut a piece and slap it on to your cabin air filter?
im just talking out of my ass as ive never done this, but i dont see why not? paper shouldnt be too thick to squeeze in where ever it needs to go.