Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's why the 3 isn't a mainstream "affordable" car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My premise isn't "ridiculous" in any way shape or form. People don't like change- people are used to getting gasoline and having their car readily available. You combine this with the increased cost of an ev vs. a Camry and you see why people will opt for the less expensive vehicle. Any buyer of the model 3 is taking a reliability risk in that there is no track record on the 3 vs. the Camry. Here is the honest truth- Tesla hasn't invested enough in charging stations. Take Ohio for example, the main question I get is where do you charge? What if you run out of charge? What if you aren't near a charger when you need one? These are the questions I get. There are a total of NINE count them NINE superchargers in Ohio. Not good enough at all IMO. Until Tesla is willing to quadruple their charging locations I still feel many people will be too anxious to switch to an EV. Before you start with the - "you can charge at home " argument please save it. I'm taking about chargers that are readily available on the road and not hundreds of miles apart. The second best thing to a supercharger near me is a 1771 plug that gets 18 mph. Again, way too slow IMO.

You are completely talking past the points that most of us are making. Yes, the Model 3 will probably never be as mainstream as a Camry. Your fallacy was that it was ever intended to be, because it wasn't. That doesn't mean Tesla won't sell as many as they can build (which is a whole lot less than any of the other car manufacturers are able to build). This is Teslas first attempt at a high volume (i.e. Mass Market) car. Their projections are ambitious (both on the sales side and the production side), but if it even sells half as much as they are predicting it will be a wild success.

As noted several times in this thread, a 4 cylinder Camry is no where near a match for Model 3. To be fair, we should be comparing to the V6 in terms of power, or the Hybrid for efficiency.

Here's a similar V6 Camry:
2018 Camry XLE V6 (3.5L V6 Engine, 8-Speed Automatic): $34,400
Driver Assist Package with options: $1,990
Total: $36,390

Or the hybrid:
2018 Camry Hybrid SE (2.5L 4-Cyl Gas/Electric Hybrid): $29,500
Audio Package with options: $2,905
Total: $33,300

The V6 will end up costing much more in gas, and the hybrid will have no where near the performance (and, as configured, doesn't have the Autopilot-esque safety features - for that you have to bump up to the XLE version, which brings total cost to $36,840).

This also is ignoring tax incentives for the Model 3 ($12,500 off where I live).
Wow! 12,500 in tax incentives? Ohio needs to get on the ball with that. And you get to use the hippie lettuce lol

More likely, they are considering other entry luxury cars. I'd love to see the numbers on this - what people are switching from, and what, if any, other cars they are considering instead of the Model 3. I believe it's a mix of EVs & luxury cars. From the articles I have seen on the topic, a good proportion of people are switching from a BMW 3 series.
For me as a reference point, I could afford a Model S if that was my priority, but it's not -- having a nice house is. My wife and I drive two 15 year old Accords (plus have a big 3/4 ton Yukon for hauling stuff).

We have two M3s reserved, but I'll probably get a base model 3 + PUP + Color for her, mostly for safety, and because the 3 is such a fundamental leap forward compared with literally everything else. We're switching from typewriters to computers here. However, we're saving to build our dream house so I'll probably wait on our second vehicle which is my commuter car.. until after we build and have a better idea of post-house finances.

About the only alternative we'd consider is a 2-4 year old Accord hybrid. I wouldn't buy anything else new because it's too close to just getting another M3 anyway. So to me it's all about value. M3 has the best value, but happens to be #2 or 3 on the priority list of our finances.

Of course not everyone is open to change, but enough people are for the Model 3 and Tesla to be a success. If no one wanted change there would never be any innovation and products like the iPhone would have been a complete failure.

Why is charging at home not a good option?
Well I didn't say it wasn't an option- just inconvenient for many. The inconvenient part isn't plugging the vehicle in, it's hiring an electrician to put a fast charge in your garage. Some people just view this as a hassle plain and simple. For me I got lucky and my laundry room is directly off of the garage. I was able to buy a NEMA adapter and use my existing dryer plug for 18mph home charging.

More on Camry Vs. Model 3 just to add some facts and ask some questions

With this in mind I will still likely buy the 3 but only the base model- with those hideous aero wheels. Why? Because I will likely receive the tax credit and it will effectively knock off 21% of my purchase price.
What's wrong with this?

7hat4ul-jpg.241604

Well I didn't say it wasn't an option- just inconvenient for many. The inconvenient part isn't plugging the vehicle in, it's hiring an electrician to put a fast charge in your garage. Some people just view this as a hassle plain and simple. For me I got lucky and my laundry room is directly off of the garage. I was able to buy a NEMA adapter and use my existing dryer plug for 18mph home charging.

I'm not sure what is so inconvenient about having an electrician come over for a few hours and put a plug in? It's a lot easier than making car payments :)

Reactions: TimM. and tracksyde

That's valid, especially for condo/apt dwellers, but if people had the ability to put a mini-gas station into their home for $500 - $1,000, you can bet there'd be lots of those. Granted we're in new construction and a single-family home, but it took one phone call, $500 (plus the $500 Tesla HPWC), and a tech about an hour to get us home charging...so it was about as simple as it could be. And we got 30% back in tax credits on all of that, so it was actually around $700. And the HPWC isn't even necessary. It'd be a couple hundred bucks less (and even simpler) to just install a NEMA 14-50 if you're fine with that look and feel.

I actually had a friend in high school who lived in a rural home and was pretty wealthy. Their family had a small gas tank (couple hundred gallons) at their house that was refilled by a tanker every couple weeks so they'd just fill up at home. There were plenty of gas stations nearby (within 10 or 15 mins) but I guess they liked the convenience of filling up at home. Only time I've seen that, but the point above reminded me of it.

The dryer option is not a bad one. Just make sure to limit the amps else you might set off the breaker. From what I gather it's about $500 to install a dedicated outlet to charge the car.

That's valid, especially for condo/apt dwellers, but if people had the ability to put a mini-gas station into their home for $500 - $1,000, you can bet there'd be lots of those. Granted we're in new construction and a single-family home, but it took one phone call, $500 (plus the $500 Tesla HPWC), and a tech about an hour to get us home charging...so it was about as simple as it could be. And we got 30% back in tax credits on all of that, so it was actually around $700. And the HPWC isn't even necessary. It'd be a couple hundred bucks less (and even simpler) to just install a NEMA 14-50 if you're fine with that look and feel.

I actually had a friend in high school who lived in a rural home and was pretty wealthy. Their family had a small gas tank (couple hundred gallons) at their house that was refilled by a tanker every couple weeks so they'd just fill up at home. There were plenty of gas stations nearby (within 10 or 15 mins) but I guess they liked the convenience of filling up at home. Only time I've seen that, but the point above reminded me of it.

My in-laws have a tank at their house that they just stopped using about 2 years ago. The tanks don't last forever, and they didn't want to spend the money on the bladder that would have extended the life of the tank. They retired years ago and are down to one car, so can't really blame them for letting the tank go.

I'm not sure what is so inconvenient about having an electrician come over for a few hours and put a plug in? It's a lot easier than making car payments :)

the quotes I've gotten from Seattle electricians make this a $1k-$2k inconvenience (to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet 2 feet away from my garage fuse panel).

Planning to try out plugging into a standard wall outlet and see how well that does at replenishing our daily 10-mile roundtrip commute.

the quotes I've gotten from Seattle electricians make this a $1k-$2k inconvenience (to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet 2 feet away from my garage fuse panel).

Planning to try out plugging into a standard wall outlet and see how well that does at replenishing our daily 10-mile roundtrip commute.

I imagine you'll be fine replenishing from your daily commute. Take a long drive on the weekend, however, and you might find it takes at least a couple days to recover.