Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland Front Styling, Better or Worse?

Which do you prefer?

• I prefer the original front styling

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • I prefer the Highland front styling

Votes: 159 61.2%
  • I like them both the same

Votes: 32 12.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any published numbers to see if one is more aerodynamic than the other? Was some sacrifice in efficiency made to change the design, or is the change in design the byproduct of improved aero?
When the new model 3 was released, Tesla said it was more aerodynamic, and they stated a number for its Cd. I don't remember what the number was off the top of my head, but the difference is fairly small compared to the original Model 3.

At least in the old model, the side vents don't go to radiators, rather it goes to free air to the side of the car (if you take a look, the vent goes through and passes the air to the two sides of the car). This makes the frontal area effectively smaller and directs air around the tires.
The extra drag would be minimal but any air passing through a vent with 360 degrees of surface then negotiating the turbulence around the wheel will cause some extra drag compared to air that is directed around the vehicle. There maybe reasons to have vents like aesthetics or brake cooling but everything else being equal the model without the vents will have a lower drag than the one with them.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
The extra drag would be minimal but any air passing through a vent with 360 degrees of surface then negotiating the turbulence around the wheel will cause some extra drag compared to air that is directed around the vehicle. There maybe reasons to have vents like aesthetics or brake cooling but everything else being equal the model without the vents will have a lower drag than the one with them.
Nope, incorrect. The design is called an air curtain. Although it looks similar to a vent for brake cooling, it does not direct air to the brakes. Instead it directs air past the tires to improve the aerodynamics.

Here's a discussion.
Purpose of front bumper side air vents?
Here's a reference that discusses how it reduces drag:
https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/what-is-an-air-curtain-on-a-car

The vents on cars used for aesthetics are ones that are fake (it's just black plastic stuck on bumper, no air can actually get past it). These type of passthrough ones actually serve an aerodynamic purpose.

That said, I haven't seen an up close view of the new Performance vents so can't confirm it uses a similar design, which is why I specifically mentioned the old one instead (I have one myself, so I've looked at how the air flows through it when I did DIY PPF).

Reactions: afadeev
When the new model 3 was released, Tesla said it was more aerodynamic, and they stated a number for its Cd. I don't remember what the number was off the top of my head, but the difference is fairly small compared to the original Model 3.
The video I posted earlier had Franz/Lars mentioned the refreshed 3 is their slipperiest Tesla. Think the Cd is 0.21.

Many of the high end cars have sculpted taillights. Tesla executed the improvement well with the Highland in this regard. Not sure how they pull it off but the car looks much sleeker and classy.

I think instead of being divisive, we should celebrate that Tesla listened to its consumers and made improvements with the design.

The highland styling looks worlds better to me, not just a little better. The front of the model 3 is the worst looking part of the car to me, and I dislike it every time I walk up to my car from the front.

The original version looks too much like this:

View attachment 1059330 View attachment 1059331
The nose is weird, but the rest of it--lights and sides and overall proportions of the old one is better. Better visual rhythm, especially lights. Could have fixed it by having a slight sharp crease in the nose like the S. To me, new one from the front looks like a completely generic 1990s or 2000s Japanese rental car. Entirely forgettable, and somewhat awkward proportions.

I think it's universal that then new rear is superior---and a good looking car rear is not common. Good job on that.

I found the Highland front a little shocking to be honest, but all new car shapes feel that at first, but mostly it looks like a Kia/Hyundai....whereas the old M3 is Porschey. But when the shock wore off, it sort of looks ok...nice even. Especially in red

The whole point of this thread is to express an opinion; of course it’s subjective. If you don’t care, why bother commenting on this thread?
I think there’s a difference when it comes to intelligently discussing the merits of styling. But if we’re going to devolve into just declaring something the ugliest car on the road with no reasoning behind it or justification, it just seems like a pointless endeavor.

If I just say the Lucid Air is the ugliest car on the road and was beaten with an ugly stick and didn’t explain my reasoning, I don’t think my opinion would really matter much to people.

I think there’s a difference when it comes to intelligently discussing the merits of styling. But if we’re going to devolve into just declaring something the ugliest car on the road with no reasoning behind it or justification, it just seems like a pointless endeavor.

You must be confusing this thread with CyberTruck's.
I don't recall anyone assigning that attribute to either the old or the new Model 3.

Frankly, the differences between the two are minute. An average person will hardly be able to tell the two apart.
It's like an LCI (life-cycle-impulse) update with Audi's and BMWs - only a few car nuts can tell which car is which. Or care.

If I just say the Lucid Air is the ugliest car on the road and was beaten with an ugly stick and didn’t explain my reasoning, I don’t think my opinion would really matter much to people.

You are kidding, right?
Lucid Air is the most aerodynamically efficient shape on the road right now, with 0.197 CD.
It is also more mechanically efficient than anything Tesla has ever engineered.
It's too big for my needs, but if I was in a market for Model S, Lucid Air would beat it in the race to my driveway.

CyberTruck, on the other hand, has the design subtlety of a Tonka truck.
Compared to CT, either Model 3 is a Mona Lisa.

IMHO,
a

• Love
Reactions: mborkow
You must be confusing this thread with CyberTruck's.
I don't recall anyone assigning that attribute to either the old or the new Model 3.

Frankly, the differences between the two are minute. An average person will hardly be able to tell the two apart.
It's like an LCI (life-cycle-impulse) update with Audi's and BMWs - only a few car nuts can tell which car is which. Or care.
My comment was in response to mborkow's statements a few posts up declaring that Volvos were the ugliest things on the road and had been beaten with an ugly stick.

You are kidding, right?
Lucid Air is the most aerodynamically efficient shape on the road right now, with 0.197 CD.
It is also more mechanically efficient than anything Tesla has ever engineered.
It's too big for my needs, but if I was in a market for Model S, Lucid Air would beat it in the race to my driveway.

CyberTruck, on the other hand, has the design subtlety of a Tonka truck.
Compared to CT, either Model 3 is a Mona Lisa.

IMHO,
a

I don't think that the Lucid Air is ugly. I was using it as an example: "If I just say that..."

I could have easily put Cybertruck, Mach-E, EV9, or any other vehicle in that statement... the Lucid Air just happened to be on my mind at that second. I was just making the point that me just saying "X is ugly" doesn't advance the discussion. Saying that "X is ugly because of this, or because the designers choose to implement this particular design feature" is more beneficial.

• Funny
Reactions: ODWms and mborkow
I bought a 2023 Model 3 in spite of the styling, not because of it. It is a very awkward car from most angles but I’ve learned to live with it. It’s a frog, personified as a car. To be honest I’m surprised OP didn’t name one of his disturbingly anthropomorphized pets “Kermit” because that’s the only name that comes to my mind.

The refresh is visually better in every way to my eye, and it’s not even close.

Reactions: Dear_OP
I always thought of this car as looking frog-like. :)

1719812483941.png

Reactions: mborkow and ucmndd