Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why should I have seat heaters starring in my face taking up valuable screen space if I live in Florida or in my case, 6 months of the year when they are not used? The auto seat heaters has eliminated manual control in my case yet they are easily accessed in climate control although it is 2 clicks as opposed to 1. Wipers, if you needed manual control the goto was the button on the end of the stalk for a quick wash wipe, well now it brings up the wiper commands on the screen and you can adjust to your liking. Just a couple of things that make more sense now.
Definitely agree with you about the seat heaters. I never liked them on the main page either, but it sounds like a lot of others did. Point is, if the app tray was customizable people could do whatever they like.

Agree, very negative first impressions for usability, literally from the get-go. It used to be really simple to select who is driving - just one click. Now, that's buried somewhere my partner and I can't even locate. Couldn't care less about light shows or Tik-Tok. Any idea how to uninstall this regressive UI downgrade?
I'd love to find a way to Un-install this mess. Any ideas?

OMG...this 2021 holiday update is a ***massive*** step backwards for the user interface on Tesla vehicles, and I'm going to hold off installing it as long as I possibly can.

I thought the 2020 holiday update was bad enough (e.g., "Hey...let's make the speedometer small, the same size as other numerical symbols, and put it on the left of a row of other numerical data, causing the mind to have to take an extra half a second to be sure it's looking at *SPEED*...).

But this 2021 thing is a horrid, awful mess. Holy h*ll, it's terrible.

A few quick observations:

1. The cheesy MacOS-style icons with clashing colors are terrible.

2. It looks like there's no simple list of "Favorites" and "Recents" across all audio sources anymore??? Can that possibly be true? It's now a multi-step process to get into each audio source independently and then select from favorites or recents within each individual audio source app? That's !&^@%$# insane.

3. Where the heck did the WiFi and Bluetooth icons go in the upper right??? Those were massively useful to get into those settings and also monitor LTE signal strength to see if it was related to connectivity losses while driving.

4. The comments some others are making about how getting to defrost controls and wiper settings now forces you to fumble through menus while you're driving?

5. Also, what happened to the quick-select button to turn sentry on or off that was on the main display in the upper right corner? It's just gone? JFC, this is a mess...just like the last holiday update.

6. Overall, there's a ton of things that you used to be able to get to quickly (tire pressures, odometer, LTE and Bluetooth, Sentry on/off) that are now diving through menus.

7. You can't monitor your Wh/mi in a card right under the car anymore? Why? OMG.

JFC. Tesla shouldn't be allowed to make these levels of changes to the *!&!^%@$ interface. It's nuts.

- B
Agree. Someone mentioned somewhere in this board that the people messing with the UI are clearly young and have no clue about what it takes to be a safe driver.
Why have Tik Tok, Light Show, games and theater so easily accessed at the bottom of the screen and not useful info instead??? You can't use those items unless parked anyway. It would be helpful to have driver changes and seat heater, etc. And why make the speedometer so tiny? That's a fairly important item.
Can we hope that these kids come to their senses and correct the clear issues?

In addition, why on earth is the reverse cam not larger I don’t need to see all the stuff on the left backing out of the garage-
I have not tried it with the new software, but that was adjustable in the previous version. You could either have a single view (straight back), or all 3 (straight back and sides). I think you could swipe the bottom two cameras into view, or not. You might want to try that.

Agree. Someone mentioned somewhere in this board that the people messing with the UI are clearly young and have no clue about what it takes to be a safe driver.
Why have Tik Tok, Light Show, games and theater so easily accessed at the bottom of the screen and not useful info instead??? You can't use those items unless parked anyway. It would be helpful to have driver changes and seat heater, etc. And why make the speedometer so tiny? That's a fairly important item.
Can we hope that these kids come to their senses and correct the clear issues?
How dare you! What's more important than tik tok?? 😵‍💫🤣

I haven't actually used the new UI, but in this instance, to me the grouping logic seems sound to me. The games & entertainment app icons should be at the equivalent "level" as the climate control icon. You hit the games icon then access a particular game, similar to hitting the climate button (or swiping up), then accessing the heated seat button. The seat heater and Sonic the Hedgehog game would be considered at the same "level". In this case Tesla does prioritize climate controls since it has a permanent place on the tray, where the games icon is customizable.

I'm not saying it's the best way of doing things or anything, but at least logically speaking, I can follow what they're doing here.
I have to disagree with you. Games should in no way be on the same level as controls critical for driving. If you have to dig through a level or two of menus for a game it's no big deal. You're (hopefully) not driving when you do this. Controls necessary when driving need to be easily accessible and simple to understand.
Didn't you mean to say Minnesotan fire drill?
No - Minnesotans have far more common sense than the idiots in charge of this mess. (well most of them, anyway)

My personal experience was slightly lost at first. After several outings with it, I find it superior in almost every way compared to the old. Am I alone? Yes there is a learning curve but once one uses it for a bit it just makes more sense IMHO.
Yeah, pretty much. There's about 3 people on this thread who have dutifully disliked the 500+ negative comments.
If you need to control the wipers it is because you just got splashed or they are not keeping up 95% of the time so the push of the stalk and having it wipe once has already solved your issue. If you need more control it is presented on the screen automatically for your convenience. Whats not to like about it?
I agree - this isn't bad. Before you had to tap an icon on the menu bar then change the wiper settings. Now you tap the stalk and then change the sections. (Of course, this feature existed before, so it's really independent of the current mess)
I'd love to find a way to Un-install this mess. Any ideas?
Unfortunately, no. Multipel people have asked and there is no way to revert back to a previous version

I like the ability to have customized icons on the bottom. I just wish that there were more icons, such as heated seats, defrosters, etc.

In general, there needs to be more context-awareness of the UI. For example, within the first minute of the driver's door being opened, the profile should show at the top of the screen (with the old ability to change the profile). Another example is that there should be two sets of icons on the bottom: one for driving, and one for when the car is parked.

The blind spot camera is a cute gadget, but IMHO, is dangerous. It's definitely not a good implementation when if I'm changing into the left lane, I'm looking down and to the right. Also, trying to see what is in that screen and make sense of it is going to take effort. If I'm going to bother with looking the wrong direction, why not just use the display that shows the cars around me and show a car in red that is in the blind spot. With all that being said, I find that with my mirrors set up correctly, I don't have blind spots. A blind spot system (almost by definition) is for those who don't set up their mirrors correctly, and therefore, have blind spots.

... the fact that I can no longer use one simple move to access wiper functions when NOT in active wiping mode already

What one simple move were you previously using to activate the wipers?

If we aren’t counting the quick menu that’s brought up when pressing the wipe/wash button on the stalk, V10 required you to press the wiper button at the bottom of the screen, then select your wiper speed if the wipers were already enabled (two taps). If the wipers were off, you had to make an additional tap to turn them on before changing the previously used speed (three taps).

In V11, you press the car icon that’s in the lower left of the screen - an easy muscle-memory location for all car settings - and the wiper controls are presented to you 70% larger (!) than the controls in V10, albeit in the center right of the screen instead of the bottom left (two taps).

The quick menu that is displayed when pressing the wash/wipe button is essentially the same as before in terms of size.

I have to disagree with you. Games should in no way be on the same level as controls critical for driving. If you have to dig through a level or two of menus for a game it's no big deal. You're (hopefully) not driving when you do this. Controls necessary when driving need to be easily accessible and simple to understand.
Oh I'm not saying games "should" be on the same level as say climate controls. I'm just saying that's how they seem to be grouping them. Games/Entertainment and Climate Controls are like folders, and particular games and heated seat buttons are like items inside their respective folder. I was just saying that I can follow the logic they are using to group stuff. Again, I haven't actually had a chance to use V11 (MYP please hurry back!), so I don't know how I'll actually like it. But based on everything I've been able to gather, I think I'll be OK with it.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I truly wish I had not updated to V11. I got suckered into it because I wanted the blind spot cameras. If there were blind spot warning on side mirrors like they have in other cars I would not have done the update

1. I wish they could add seat heaters, defrosters, Tire pressure sensors and other commonly used items in the app area. People who want them can drag and drop them in the bottom. People who do not want them and want Tik-Tok or Tidal can add those ( something like MS word options or shortcuts_

2. If I can add the Blue tooth, Wifi, Sentry mode and driver profile to top right from the tray like they used to reside before that would be fantastic. People who want a clean look can ignore that.

3. Have card come up on swipe to show the odometer and efficiency like they did before along with pop up card when the wiper button is pressed. Gave a way for people to disable it if they do not want it.

Ford , GM, Toyota, Honda and others sell you a car and never update it. Want new features and updates? Okay, buy a newer model.
You didn’t buy one of those. Tesla defines itself as constantly evolving via software updates.

Through the advent of software updates, my dual motor Model 3 charges faster, has more features, gets better efficiency and has more horsepower than when I bought it. I’ll pass on legacy auto, thank you.

Last edited:
You didn’t buy one of those. Tesla defines itself as constantly evolving via software updates.

Through the advent of software updates, my dual motor Model 3 charges faster, has more features, gets better efficiency and has more horsepower than when I bought it. I’ll pass on legacy auto, thank you.

I think we are agreeing. I love getting the updates.

2021.44.25.2 is two steps or maybe three steps backwards. There are certain functions that should be available without going into an additional menu. Status indicators to know if you’re connected to the cell service and many other things removed that don’t really make any sense. The main screen has lots of real estate and having indications of status like your profile is critical. My wife and I use the car and if she gets in the passenger seat before I get in the car her profile is activated. It takes numerous button pushers to reset this. We live in an area for AT&T coverage is spotty and it’s critically important to know when I’m connected. I have no idea why they would ever remove this information from the top right corner. Whoever is responsible for the current interface is honestly not: customers and not understanding the needs of a driver. You should never have to go into numerous menus and take your eyes off the road to look for important information. There’s so much real estate on the screen but they’ve decided you can only add games and other silliness and not critical information like profile and connectivity.
Very disappointing to say the least. I do hope someone else takes responsibility for the inrerface that actually understands the requirements to make the car easier to drive. It seems they think they were cleaning up items and instead of hitting things that should not be hidden

... the fact that I can no longer use one simple move to access wiper functions when NOT in active wiping mode already

What one simple move were you previously using to activate the wipers?

If we aren’t counting the quick menu that’s brought up when pressing the wipe/wash button on the stalk, V10 required you to press the wiper button at the bottom of the screen, then select your wiper speed if the wipers were already enabled (two taps). If the wipers were off, you had to make an additional tap to turn them on before changing the previously used speed (three taps).

In V11, you press the car icon that’s in the lower left of the screen - an easy muscle-memory location for all car settings - and the wiper controls are presented to you 70% larger (!) than the controls in V10, albeit in the center right of the screen instead of the bottom left (two taps).
Right you are. I had just hoped for stalk activation of the wiper choices on the screen without automatically triggering the wipers.

I had just hoped for stalk activation of the wiper choices on the screen without automatically triggering the wipers
Yes, click to cycle through wiper speeds is pretty obvious, rather than having to tap on the screen to select wiper speed.
But I guess games are more important than safety.
It’s like the engineers aren’t driving their own cars: it’s silly the decisions they’re making. Maybe Elon has a driver so he doesn’t know what real drivers need to safely operate a Tesla.

Wow… lot of hate towards some pretty cool features that are being added FOR FREE… I think the major element missing in all of this discussion is the move toward more automation… that’s what most of this is about. But I get it, when people have things in places they know and they’ve learned, it’s natural to get upset when that all changes and you have to learn a new way of doing things. I agree some improvements are needed but lets not forget that we use to need physical maps on roadtrips and you were lucky if your car had a cassette player in it. Tesla is a tech company, it’s the driving force for the evolution of the the car as we’ve known it. Much of this is constant R&D, they’ll make improvements, they already said updates are coming and they’ve listened to a lot of the feedback in doing so. But all of this is heading toward more and more automation and consistently perfecting it.

A few realistic notes….
-You don’t need to check your tire pressure constantly. Previously you had to get out of your car and use a tire gauge to check it, plus the car will tell you if it’s low…let the car tell you…
-The wiper stalk does the same thing it did in previous versions, no need for all the discussion on that, it seems like complaining just to find more to complain about.
-The dash cam is constantly recording, in the event that you feel you REALLY need to save a clip then it’s actually SAFER that they removed it from the top because clearly people were more focused on saving the clip (which records 10 mins at a time) than reacting to the situation on the road first. If you really need it that bad, honk your horn and it saves…EASY.
-I agree more apps can be put below but it is still an improvement to have the phone easily accessible there and your preferred music source.
-Before digital screens, did you complain about the font size on a regular speedometer? I agree it would be nice to have an option to increase font size but there’s also only so much space to do so. Perhaps an accessibility type feature but again, we’re talking about driving a car and having good eyesight with or without glasses. You can’t increase the font on a street sign.
-Your driver profile is easily seen by using the car icon on the bottom left, once you get in the car (BEFORE you start driving) there is no reason or need to access that again.
-The seat heaters are gone from the bottom because they’ve been automated to keep your seat at the perfect temperature. Something we’re not use to because we’ve had to manually use them in the past and we’re in the mindset of using them. This may just be a different way of doing things.
-The car didn’t update itself… you click a button to choose to update the car. If it is that important to you, perhaps it’s best to wait and see what the feedback is first before updating your car. Obviously this is the 11th version… and it will continue evolve… there are some great points here for ways to add back certain features or improve the interface even further. Next time, hold off before updating if you like what you have.
-Plenty of other auto manufactures either don’t provide updates at all or charge you for them IF they do (and typically those are only map updates). Take into account the people involved in making this software, their salaries, the time put into autopilot and FSD that continues to be updated/improved/perfected… you’re getting it all for free once you’ve bought your Tesla. How would you feel if you paid for the update and didn’t like it? Exactly… so, they’re working on improvements as all of us hash this out on these boards at no additional cost to anyone.

Still, I think the central element of automation is a big component of this. The push toward automation will naturally come with a lot of resistance because in many ways we may feel like we’re losing control of things that were once in our control. But in reality, the concept revolves around keeping more focus on the road while easing the mind knowing all those other things are taken care of for you.

It will continue to improve but lets be realistic about some of this stuff and not so petty. You bought a car completely online, you use your phone as a key and to access it remotely. Pretty incredible to say the least. Focus forward, trust the process, we’re all part of one massively and exponentially evolving R&D experiment.

-Before digital screens, did you complain about the font size on a regular speedometer?
Absolutely apples to oranges, because the screen is required to OPERATE features, but the speedometer was just for monitoring.
-The seat heaters are gone from the bottom because they’ve been automated to keep your seat at the perfect temperature.
No, they've been automated to do what the designers think I want when they think I want it - that's their "perfect", but not mine (and not perfection for every one of the millions of Tesla drivers). That's their ego in action, like with Apple......usually they're right because they make a good product, but it's perfectly acceptable for someone to say "I don't like it that way" and not want what they think we should want. FWIW, I turned mine off "Auto".
Still, I think the central element of automation is a big component of this.
Of course it is, and several posters have said that........that they feel we're being pushed into more voice controls, and eventually (or exclusively) FSD. Several have said they also don't like that, and chose not to get FSD for a reason.