Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

What is especially impressive is that it got the CORRECT number of elves (eight) that are in the road. Especially since they are not going in the normal direction in a travel lane. I had to count carefully myself.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

And why the hell do you need to access the games when you’re driving????? You took away the defroster and gave me games????

Deliver the car that works now, keep the toys in the lab, they are not even close.

… burying more useful controls under menus and leaving other controls that have accessible physical buttons/scrolls on the main screen
Precisely.
I live in an area where it gets cold in the winter. I don’t need games in the toolbar, I need seat heater controls.
I used to have the odometer displayed on the lower left whenever I drive, changeable to tire pressure with a swipe. Useful information in a good location on the screen. Now when you want to see the odometer it covers the entire right side of the screen. Useless.
I use text messages every time I drive. The old display position and font size was fine. Why did this change?

There are so many bad choices Tesla made. I really don’t understand what they were thinking.

Also, why the hell did they make the Font smaller for the Speed? I like how they move it up and closer the left edge of the screen, but why did they have to make it smaller Font? Argghh. I'll get use to it i'm sure.
I guess the folks who decided this UI works best aren't older and don't care about speeding tickets. It's tough enough trying to go slow in the Y. A larger font would be a lot better for most of us

For why the tire pressure is useful to have accessible…. I recently did an 800 mile trip in my parent’s car where we found a screw in the tire at the beginning of the trip.

Rather than getting the tire fixed (early on a Sunday didn’t seem likely) we decided to fill up the tire, drive, and then add air as necessary. I liked that I could easily check by pushing a few physical buttons on the steering wheel.

TBH, on a long highway drive with autopilot, checking via the menus on the V11 would be ok too.

For the front passenger to control. That's why it's all the way on the right side. I think it makes sense and should stay. I know my wife appreciates it.
so a passenger gets a dedicated button to change volume

jokes on them my screen tilts and a passenger surely has no driving distraction to need a permanent volume control real estate on the screen

heck passengers should be the one asking the driver to change the volume with the scroll or they have all the non-distractions in the world to dig through layers of menu for volume control

Also, why the hell did they make the Font smaller for the Speed? I like how they move it up and closer the left edge of the screen, but why did they have to make it smaller Font? Argghh. I'll get use to it i'm sure.
I agree. There is nothing but blank space at the top of the car visualization, so why not make the speed bigger and easier to read?

I guess if Tesla has to deliver an update that is more fun and games and less driver oriented, now is a good time as many of us are not driving as much.

That said, I do miss the ”cards” and the seat heat heater icon.

Todsy I notice that the seat heater was on but no way to visually confirm. Energy waster.

Didn't Tesla suggest that to extend range and conserve battery use to use only the seat heater when ever possible? so heat off-seat heater on?

On the plus side, I noticed that a mini menu pops up when you push down/away the left stalk which gives light selections.

I guess if Tesla has to deliver an update that is more fun and games and less driver oriented, now is a good time as many of us are not driving as much.

That said, I do miss the ”cards” and the seat heat heater icon.

Todsy I notice that the seat heater was on but no way to visually confirm. Energy waster.

Didn't Tesla suggest that to extend range and conserve battery use to use only the seat heater when ever possible? so heat off-seat heater on?

On the plus side, I noticed that a mini menu pops up when you push down/away the left stalk which gives light selections.
I had the same thought about the seat heater - I can't count the number of times the heater's been on when I didn't want it. Now it's harder to see so I'll just end up wasting more energy.

I looked at the options for customizing the 'app bar' earlier this morning. There are 17 total options. 4 of them (Theater, Arcade, Toybox and Browser) are items you should never use when driving anyway. (You can also argue that calendar and Dashcam fit in that category as well.) Of the remaining options, 7 are the different audio functions.

Being able to directly select Bluetooth vs the radio is nice, but not that big of a deal, but they took away the ability to select the audio mode from the music menu, so now it's significantly harder to select a source that's not on the app bar.

Also, after using their 'blind spot monitoring' system for a week I'm going to turn it off - it's basically worthless. I have my mirrors adjusted well, so I can see my blindspot in the mirror and whenever I try to use the camera on the screen it's difficult to see, takes far too long to be useful and is generally distracting, and that's for the right side during the day where you're at least looking in the same general direction and don't have the blinker light causing glare.

So far, the only useful feature in this update is the addition of waypoints in navigation. Everything else has been a complete fail.

In the navigation pane you are able to toggle between north up and direction traveling up when you are not actively following a route, but when you are using the navigation it just shows the full route on the the visualization. Has anyone found a way to toggle to north up or direction from the full route visualization?
same as always. Right under the "cancel" button, which cancels your trip, there is a horizonal line ______. You can swipe up on this line for it to go into turn by turn mode rather than showing the entire trip at once.

Being able to directly select Bluetooth vs the radio is nice, but not that big of a deal, but they took away the ability to select the audio mode from the music menu, so now it's significantly harder to select a source that's not on the app bar.
I definitely miss the music note icon. You'll notice though, in any one of the music sources, there's now a drop-down menu where you can switch to another source (bluetooth, FM, streaming, etc.).

Ford , GM, Toyota, Honda and others sell you a car and never update it. Want new features and updates? Okay, buy a newer model.
in the olden days, they'd spend a lot of time figuring out if the UI is ok or not before its locked in.

that was a GOOD thing. we HAD to plan and think and live with it for a while before we sent the design in for mass production.

its actually lazy that they can release stuff that is half-thought out and 'fix it in post' later. or never.

I kind of prefer the first type, myself. do the old style work, like it used to be, then you can enjoy it for years.

I have test gear that is from the 50's and 60's and never needed an 'update'. if I needed an update, my soldering iron works just fine ;)

continuous updates is almost funny. it takes an older guy (cough) to remind folks it didn't used to be that way and updates are not always your friend!

as an experienced sw/hw engineer, I stopped taking phone updates years ago and my tesla has not been updated since before xmas 2020. I know that updates are not always good. in fact, they suck from tesla. my car has the best version for me and I wont risk losing it for some eye candy. one step forward and 3 back. no thanks.

in the olden days, they'd spend a lot of time figuring out if the UI is ok or not before its locked in.

that was a GOOD thing. we HAD to plan and think and live with it for a while before we sent the design in for mass production.

its actually lazy that they can release stuff that is half-thought out and 'fix it in post' later. or never.

I kind of prefer the first type, myself. do the old style work, like it used to be, then you can enjoy it for years.

I have test gear that is from the 50's and 60's and never needed an 'update'. if I needed an update, my soldering iron works just fine ;)

continuous updates is almost funny. it takes an older guy (cough) to remind folks it didn't used to be that way and updates are not always your friend!

as an experienced sw/hw engineer, I stopped taking phone updates years ago and my tesla has not been updated since before xmas 2020. I know that updates are not always good. in fact, they suck from tesla. my car has the best version for me and I wont risk losing it for some eye candy. one step forward and 3 back. no thanks.
I guess the software update route appears to be the way of the future. As bad as the Tesla V11 appears to be for a lot of people (I haven't had a chance to use it so I can't say how I like it yet), it might still be a lot better than what some other companies are going through. We ordered a Volvo C40 for my wife, and through following an XC40 forum, it appears that the google software on Volvos are currently super half-baked. Before reading about what some are going through with the google/Volvo software, I've never entertained the concept of doing a software update at the dealership parking lot in case doing the update bricks your car. LOL!

I've tried having an open mind on v11 on my Classic S. So disapointed, it is absolute crap.
- can no longer use audio from my phone for reading e-books.
- takes many more button presses and longer eyes off road to do anything ie: Seat heaters, anything HVAC, anything audio
- no longer shows recent music played
- even after a few days, still having a hard time finding anything.
- icons at bottom are so obscure looking, many not really related to what they are
- absolutely don't need a hot button to entertainment, fun items while driving. Get rid of that and put it in the three dots section & puty something usefull there.
In 9 years of driving my S, this is the worst update ever!
:Rant finished:

I definitely miss the music note icon. You'll notice though, in any one of the music sources, there's now a drop-down menu where you can switch to another source (bluetooth, FM, streaming, etc.).
Thanks - I (clearly) hadn’t seen that. That also virtually negates the benefit of having individual sources on the app bar and makes the new design even more pointless.
As bad as the Tesla V11 appears to be for a lot of people
I have to say, v11 is the first time Tesla has messed up this bad. Every other software update has been pretty good. There may have been minor issues or things that some people didn’t like but nothing like the universal hatred V11 has engendered.

The problem with other manufacturers is that they get it wrong plenty of times, too, except they have no viable route to fix things. At least we have some hope that Tesla will own up to their mistake with a future update.

Not to beat a dead horse, but this is not how you roll out a major UI update.

1. Tease it for 6 months with an opt-in reversible preview, with huge disclaimers and training modes, reminders to be super careful etc.

2. Go through a period of transition, still with reversibility back to v10, or at least a v10 skin option, so the slow among us can still drive our cars, using all our old habits.

3. Use that live feedback to fix all the bugs and failures.

4. Gradually force adoption.

We've all seen this type of roll out of major UI updates all over the place. It's kind of standard MO. Tesla may think they did that with the v11 in the S and X for months, but the reported differences between the same versions when pushed to 3/Y v S/X make the S/X trials largely irrelevant to bugs and usability on the 3/Y, as implemented.

Reactions: hcdavis3