Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink for Model Y - Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the tesla homelink module work if you're not facing the opener? I reverse into my garage and am curious if it would close using the manual button if the front of the car is facing away from the opener.
It will work fine. The thing that kept me away from getting Homelink was how poorly the distance aspect of it has performed with several other previous vehicles I have owned. So bad in fact that on two of them I used a clicker instead. The Tesla Homelink is rather amazing when it comes to activation distance, so much so I had to reduce the distance because the door would open (had it on automatic open) when I would pass in front of the house on my way to the mailbox.

I've been using MyQ in the Tesla for a couple of weeks now. I installed the MyQ in my garage a couple years ago. I used to use my phone app to open/close the door when I am walking or biking... My other cars have homelink button.

Anyhow, I really like the MyQ integration when it works. Everything just happens right when or even slightly before you would need to do it.

There has been a couple of times (two separate incidents), however, where it seems the MyQ Tesla api was down. Basically I couldn't get it to work from the car.
- Possibility that the internet was down, so I tried the browser and that worked just fine.
- Possibility that MyQ was down, so I tried my phone and it did the MyQ just fine.

I am concluding that the actual Tesla+MyQ integration was down during those two periods.

When this happens, it seems my phone will work with MyQ so I can easily use that. The biggest hassle with the phone is waiting for the phone to load. Though really storing an extra clicker in the car would even be a better fallback plan.

Can anyone explain me the deal with the MyQ?
My 2009 and 2012 Prius has a Homelink button to be programmed to open the garage door. Never had an issue.
So now with Tesla I have to pay to open the door automatically or what? Am I missing something here?

Can anyone explain me the deal with the MyQ?
My 2009 and 2012 Prius has a Homelink button to be programmed to open the garage door. Never had an issue.
So now with Tesla I have to pay to open the door automatically or what? Am I missing something here?
The Homelink unit is the virtual equivalent of your Prius’ mirror button. Or, if you have a myQ garage door opener, you can use that instead. But it requires a $3/month subscription for the cloud app interface.

i haven't had to carry a clicker in a car for over 10 years and i'm not about to go back to it after spending nearly 60k on a car. i know some say just carry a clicker. sure, it works but then so did analog a/c controls. anyone remember keys? it just doesn't fit in with the tech vibe of this car. i mean even the glove box is controlled from the screen.

so its only natural for the garage door remote be integrated into the screen. one serious drawback is the price. at almost $380 after tax its a very expensive clicker notwithstanding built in automations. also myq is a compelling alternative with its stateful awareness except for the crummy subscription.

i then discovered that homelink can be diy installed and the process is fairly painless thanks to many talented folks on this forum. luckily found a module on ebay for $140 shipped so it was a no brainer for me. now just waiting on the car.

I got it off eBay for under 100 and installed it myself. And when I took the car in for a trim adjustment, I asked for them to just install the software and they did it for free. Just told them it was my old one and I took it off as I didn't want to buy another one for 300. 🤣

I wouldn't say it's worth 300 but its definitely a luxury convience.
Hi I ordered 23 model Y and wan to take your advice. Went on eBay saw several homelink modules for sale some same $$ as Tesla. Do you know which part# I would need? Thanks.

I’m on my 5th Tesla (two Xs, two 3s, one Y). Some had homelink, but my current Model Y doesn’t. I don’t miss it…the controller on my visor is easy and reliable. I use the free MyQ app on my phone to check whether or not the door is closed if I’m ever concerned when away from the house. I recommend not worrying so much about this stuff and to just enjoy the car. :)