Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hot weather range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hoping to drive my P85D approx 385km from Adelaide to Penola next Saturday but I see the forecast is 42 degrees. I would be driving in the heat of the day with no passengers. The road is mostly flat after the Adelaide Hills. Will I make it without a top up charge if I cruise at 100km/h? Would it help if I slowed down? The following morning I planned to drive a similar distance to Bacchus Marsh before a quick top up at the home of a friendly owner before aiming for Melbourne. I'd be doing that trip in the morning. Should I rethink the trip? I have ICE alternatives.

Last edited:
It should be possible, I've done longer trips in similar weather with a passenger and luggage, but I'd feel more comfortable if there was even one place that you could pick up a few miles if needed. Be sure to adjust your tire pressure before you leave. At 42 you'll need 5 psi more than the vehicle placard pressure just to deal with the heat. Watch the difference between projected range on the energy screen and rated range closely, as well as the trip graph. Note also that wind can be a big factor.

I was hoping to drive my P85D approx 385km from Adelaide to Penola next Saturday but I see the forecast is 42 degrees. I would be driving in the heat of the day with no passengers. The road is mostly flat after the Adelaide Hills. Will I make it without a top up charge if I cruise at 100km/h? Would it help if I slowed down? The following morning I planned to drive a similar distance to Bacchus Marsh before a quick top up at the home of a friendly owner before aiming for Melbourne. I'd be doing that trip in the morning. Should I rethink the trip? I have ICE alternatives.
G'day, set your range display to typical KM if not already done. Last Thu/Fri I went Brisbane Chinchilla return (approx 300 km) which has on the outward journey a rise of over 700 m elevation. Arrived in Chinchilla with approx 80 km range. Mine's an 85 which gives me a slight range advantage. As long as you don't launch and you run on TACC you should have no problem.

EVTRIPPLANNER suggests that a P85D with 21" wheels will use about 78Kwh or 420 Rated Km so it will be close.
Try to time your 100% charge to finish just before leaving, pre-condition the car then select range mode. I would take it easy at first and stick to 100Kmh until the range prediction suggests that you will make it, you can speed up then if you fee like it.
You will arrive with pretty much a depleted battery so the question needs to be asked what charging arrangements do you have at the destination as a 10 amp supply will take about a day and a half or more to replenish what you will use.

Turn off the A/C? :) Well maybe not as good a suggestion as all the others here but interesting looking at your route using evtripplanner.com without HVAC or at least setting internal & external temp to 42°, 9.2 kWh (almost 50 km) could be gained. If it was me, I’d keep the A/C on, slow it down to the 90’s & enjoy the music & scenery!

Turn off the A/C? :) Well maybe not as good a suggestion as all the others here but interesting looking at your route using evtripplanner.com without HVAC or at least setting internal & external temp to 42°, 9.2 kWh (almost 50 km) could be gained. If it was me, I’d keep the A/C on, slow it down to the 90’s & enjoy the music & scenery!

Yeah my experience coming back from Bairnsdale to Melbourne was that a) dropping 5kmh to 95 made a surprisingly large difference to the arrival buffer (8% cf -2%) and b) on a multi-lane highway the vast majority of people were more than happy to sit behind me at 95kmh and not bother overtaking. Aircon (range mode) and chilling out at a slightly slower speed would be my preferred option too if you're getting tight on range :)

Yeah my experience coming back from Bairnsdale to Melbourne was that a) dropping 5kmh to 95 made a surprisingly large difference to the arrival buffer (8% cf -2%) and b) on a multi-lane highway the vast majority of people were more than happy to sit behind me at 95kmh and not bother overtaking. Aircon (range mode) and chilling out at a slightly slower speed would be my preferred option too if you're getting tight on range :)
Hi,
Interested S60 range as so far my longest round trip is to Bellarine 25 degrees (pretty flat?) of say 220Ks at 80-110 kph with plenty (100K) apparently to spare. Bairnsdale is 290K(?) so I assume you had 20-30Ks (8%) indicated remaining after starting with a full charge at the beginning.

mhh, you should be fine. Just set your cruise to 90km/h and cool the cabin to around 21C. The aircon is very efficient and the higher temperatures will lower wind resistance so I'm confident you can make it (I've done it easily).

Gudday
Attached is 100Km/Hr with aircon on 42 Deg C external 22 Deg internal

The second pic is same spec but at 85Km/Hr.

Using EVTRIPLANNER.
Penola 100k per hr 42C.jpg
Penola 85km per hr 42 C.jpg

This is a bit Off Topic but I'm interested to know if you have the watt/hours per km display showing in the dash
does it change much if you turn the aircon and lights off or on or does the readout only display the power that the
motor is using?
You'd think it would but I have never seen it mentioned.

This is a bit Off Topic but I'm interested to know if you have the watt/hours per km display showing in the dash
does it change much if you turn the aircon and lights off or on or does the readout only display the power that the
motor is using?
You'd think it would but I have never seen it mentioned.

The trip meter shows the Wh/km since last starting and last charge as well. This definitely includes heating and aircon - in winter time the usage is quite dramatically different when heating is used. Cooling the car doesn't seem to affect it as much - which I found surprising. I'd thought that the heater would include reverse cycle air conditioning for efficiency but it appears to use resistive heat.