Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How dangerous to leave house with only phone key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind with a FOB if the battery or electronics die you can still get in your car and drive by using it passively. If your phone drops or battery dies you are stuck. I always kept a back up card with me. I always need my license with me anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
This ring has the RFID chip built in. It’s my wedding band.
E28941A2-7C1C-4FA7-9C20-19DABBF37DDF.jpeg

Works great. I don’t always have my phone with me.

Reactions: Gatsojon
should be ok - although I normally have my wallet on me I don’t think I ever needed it.

sometimes the car won’t unlock but thats normally a quick turn off/on bluetooth and its fine.

worst case, you should be able to use the app to remote open and set to remote drive - which allows other people to drive the car. Maybe worth a test but I would think that should be a good enough backup?
Generally agree with

Mrklaw ... but I'm thinking worst case would be to just Uber home...get the car later.​

Keep in mind with a FOB if the battery or electronics die you can still get in your car and drive by using it passively. If your phone drops or battery dies you are stuck. I always kept a back up card with me. I always need my license with me anyway.
Well, without the electronics the fob isn't going to do anything - but then nor is a keycard - as the electronics in both are needed to do the cryptographic authentication. But you're right that the fob will act as a keycard even with a flat battery. It's somewhat unclear whether it will do this indefinitely or still relies on the battery in some kind of ultra low power mode. Pretty sure that the original Model S fobs at least did actually rely on battery power even in the "flat battery" use case, but that may have changed.

Well, without the electronics the fob isn't going to do anything - but then nor is a keycard - as the electronics in both are needed to do the cryptographic authentication. But you're right that the fob will act as a keycard even with a flat battery. It's somewhat unclear whether it will do this indefinitely or still relies on the battery in some kind of ultra low power mode. Pretty sure that the original Model S fobs at least did actually rely on battery power even in the "flat battery" use case, but that may have changed.
No battery is needed. That tech has been around for a long time now. Two prior cars before my Tesla did the same thing. The battery-less key cards and completely dead fobs are powered by the radio waves from the car. That’s partly why they need to be so close. To power them up. Also in a dead Fob the RFID I believe is a completely separate device with in the Fob. It might be all in one chip and sharing keys. But means of communication is completely separate.

Don’t really care what old Model S Fobs did or didn’t do.

Last edited:
This ring has the RFID chip built in. It’s my wedding band.View attachment 768933
Works great. I don’t always have my phone with me.

Bless, O Lord, this ring to be a sign of the vows by which this man and this Tesla have bound themselves to each other. Through Elon Musk our Lord. Amen …

I give you this ring as a sign of our love for and commitment to each other. I promise to support you, care for you, and stand alongside you for all of our days.

Even through difficult Firmware releases, let no menu update get between us.

You may now swish the side

I have keys in my pocket all the time - I’d pay for an Etsy home made key fob with key card chip embedded like you get with the rings. Why are there so many rings but not fobs? Seems a Fob would be more practical and easier to make

I have keys in my pocket all the time - I’d pay for an Etsy home made key fob with key card chip embedded like you get with the rings. Why are there so many rings but not fobs? Seems a Fob would be more practical and easier to make
The main fob functions are different to the simple key card (much more extensive) ... also uses different wireless communications and therefore requires power. Making a ring is cheap as chips ... making a fob which functions like the Tesla fob is a different kettle of fish. I made my own fob using the electronics from a key card but obviously all it does is unlocks the car when presented to the door pillar and starts the car when put against the console.

The main fob functions are different to the simple key card (much more extensive) ... also uses different wireless communications and therefore requires power. Making a ring is cheap as chips ... making a fob which functions like the Tesla fob is a different kettle of fish. I made my own fob using the electronics from a key card but obviously all it does is unlocks the car when presented to the door pillar and starts the car when put against the console.
I hope he meant making a fob like yours and Nicks. not the Tesla fob.

Reactions: Nick77 and Mrklaw