Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you fit a BAC into a SBG

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do I fit an M3 (=Big American Car) into my SBG (small British garage).

I've seen a few videos on YT from the US demonstrating how to reverse an M3 into the typical huge double american garage. Some of these videos also add a few obstacles for fun. But I can't find any video where the garage in question is small.

My situation is that my garage is a classic SBG and the M3 will be an extremely tight fit. I would need to use summon from outside the car to reverse it into my garage.

I would like to hear from anyone who has actually done this regularly, or if any links to useful videos. Thanks

How do you fit a BAG (=Big American Guy) into a SBC (small British car). [Sorry, I cannot resit...]

US versus Europe .jpg

I occasionally park my Model S in a single garage.

I think it’s a slightly bigger garage than some as I can just open the driver side door enough to squeeze out... but the entrance is only about 4-6 inches wider than the wheel arches

Process:
  • align car carefully with garage - not helped by drive being at different angle to garage!
  • reverse into garage using mirrors and rear camera
  • when mirrors are almost at entrance, fold them - camera and visual only now - but I should be aligned
  • Ignore the constant beeping from the parking sensors
  • Work out some markers to indicate you are far enough in - or have a person help
  • Squeeze out of car
  • worth noting that with Creep mode enabled in the car, you have very fine control of the speed with brake only - far easier than trying to do the same manoeuvre in a manual car
I have never used summon to get car in/out of garage as I read enough stories of the car occasionally turning the wheels and damaging the bodywork. The threads I am referring to are probably two years old. Maybe the situation has improved.

Reactions: john19951
"There’s a guy on YouTube called Jack Massey Welsh and he did a video about this. He’s lined the side of his garage with something so the door can rest safely when opening but he also uses summon to drive it in and out (similar to the My Parker link above)."

Brilliant - many thanks.

His other videos are addictive - now I've got something to do on my 10 hour train journey to the south of France on Friday!

I occasionally park my Model S in a single garage.

I think it’s a slightly bigger garage than some as I can just open the driver side door enough to squeeze out... but the entrance is only about 4-6 inches wider than the wheel arches

Process:
  • align car carefully with garage - not helped by drive being at different angle to garage!
  • reverse into garage using mirrors and rear camera
  • when mirrors are almost at entrance, fold them - camera and visual only now - but I should be aligned
  • Ignore the constant beeping from the parking sensors
  • Work out some markers to indicate you are far enough in - or have a person help
  • Squeeze out of car
  • worth noting that with Creep mode enabled in the car, you have very fine control of the speed with brake only - far easier than trying to do the same manoeuvre in a manual car
I have never used summon to get car in/out of garage as I read enough stories of the car occasionally turning the wheels and damaging the bodywork. The threads I am referring to are probably two years old. Maybe the situation has improved.

Thanks for the detailed response. I think it would be impossible to get out of my garage the M3 when it's in the garage, thus my only option is summon.

How do you fit a BAG (=Big American Guy) into a SBC (small British car). [Sorry, I cannot resit...]

View attachment 558721

A surprising amount of space in a Smart car. I don't think I have owned a car that felt more roomy in the front as my Smart. They are a bit of a Tardis. Pretty much the whole length of the car is the driver/passenger cell. Other cars try and fit rear seating in a space not much longer.

PS Its German.

Do you use summon or climb out of the passenger side?

Summon not an available option.

I get in and out the driver's door side as normal, there's more room than there looks on the above picture. I'll be out in it a little later, will try and remember to take a photo to better illustrate. There's just some protection for the door on the garage wall, an old t-shirt and some cardboard to be precise!

Looks like a tight fit there, I've been looking for CCTV actually, what camera setup is that?

The camera is an Arlo Q, only chosen for commonality with other Arlo stuff I already had, but it does everything I need.

https://www.arlo.com/uk/

Whilst it is not generously proportioned, there is a bit more room round the car than there perhaps looks. When it’s in and parked, if I stop when it tells me I’ve 12-14” to go before bashing the front, then all four sides of the car/garage can be accessed either from the main garage door or from the door in from the garden.

3DC1569A-C1CE-447E-A366-506B8C5FDB97.jpeg
8422F5A9-FEB9-47A3-9214-89D601C3EE64.jpeg

Thank you - your replies have been very helpful. How wide is your garage - wall to wall. My garage is only 253 cm wide inside, and clearance reduces to 232 cm due to brick piers either side.

I'm already drafting out in my mind a planning application for a 2nd garage - a nice wide one.

Whilst it is not generously proportioned, there is a bit more room round the car than there perhaps looks.
When it’s in and parked, if I stop when it tells me I’ve 12-14” to go before bashing the front,
then all four sides of the car/garage can be accessed either from the main garage door or from the door in from the garden.
Trunk is also an option...

The camera is an Arlo Q, only chosen for commonality with other Arlo stuff I already had, but it does everything I need.
https://www.arlo.com/uk/
Arlo: Wire-Free 4K and HD Smart Home Security Cameras, Security Lights and Doorbells

Whilst it is not generously proportioned, there is a bit more room round the car than there perhaps looks. When it’s in and parked, if I stop when it tells me I’ve 12-14” to go before bashing the front, then all four sides of the car/garage can be accessed either from the main garage door or from the door in from the garden.

View attachment 559030 View attachment 559031

Cheers.

I see what you mean, reasonable amount of room there.

Car looking nice and shiny :)

I have a tight garage and use summon to move in (forwards) and out almost daily. It's a little bit flakey in that sometimes it will stop moving when part way in or out and I have to re-initiate, but it has not failed yet. I get a better first time success rate when I turn wifi off on my phone and thus use 4G.