Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people got a "problem-free" Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been enjoying my P90D for just over two weeks now and aside from a few minor cosmetic issues that have been well covered in other posts, I am pretty thrilled with the whole experience. My expectations for the X were pretty high given I've been driving a Porsche Cayenne S for a few years, and I was a little worried that the X was not going to measure up in terms of comfort, style, and overall driving experience. Today, after not driving the Cayenne for over a week, I took it out on an errand and wow was I surprised at how much I missed the X even for such a short drive.... as great as the Cayenne is, the X is just far above and on another level.

I can only speak from my experience, but to those who have had build problems with their already delivered X's, my recommendation is to document and give Tesla time to correct them. It is clear that the design of the X is solid and that the majority of the vehicles are not having substantial issues -- which is pretty amazing given how many revolutionary features have been included in this vehicle.

With all of the talk about problems people are having with their cars, it made me almost expect there to be serious problems. The second day driving my shiny new car on the freeway, I heard what sounded like excessive road noise coming from the right rear door. I figured it was the problem seals mentioned elsewhere. Later, I rolled up the window that last fraction of an inch and the sound went away.

I think all of the reported problems are making me paranoid.;)

I think all of the reported problems are making me paranoid.
Too much time around here will definitely make one paranoid. I ordered our X almost begrudgingly - knowing I'd love the drivetrain, but figuring I'd dislike everything else about it. Well, it's true what they say about well-managed expectations, because I'm really enjoying it so far. I mean, these seats. And the windshield. Plus, I think in my head I had made out the storage space to be enough to carry a single case of wine. Instead, it's actually pretty generous, even without a folding 2nd row.

I had some FWD issues my first day home. I had a very similar thing happen on the same door this morning. I've learned how to override it and quickly resolve it, but surely we'll have to get that resolved. One of the proximity sensors is giving Wohmman a hard time - I'll check that out next time I drive it. But these are very minor issues considering the upside.

Everything was working fine when I got the car but I have a had a couple problems since. During my first road trip the passenger door stopped closing fully and you need to push the door for it to seal. The door will open when you pull the handle on the inside but it won't open if you press the handle. One other problem I encountered was when I fully reclined the drivers seat, one of the plastic pieces popped out. This is a minor one but when traveling at high speeds I noticed that the spoiler made little squaking noises. Mind you this is when I was going 60mph into a 50mph headwind.
Other than that the car has been great!! :)

Over 2,000 vehicles delivered last quarter, and only a handful of people with problems here. Everyone else is enjoying their cars.
There were only a handful of forum people that got invites to the Model 3 Event. We did not see posts from the majority that did attend.

Only Tesla Motors knows how many are having problems. If it is only a handful, then parts would be available and Model X vehicles wouldn't be sitting at the Service Centers waiting for parts.

I took delivery on 12/31. My front door latches were "perfect" until they failed. Give it time.

With Model S, my windshield was perfect until the structural crack appeared almost a year later. When I visited the authorized SoCal body shop that were replacing the windows, I asked how many Teslas were affected. They said they were replacing 3 per week! IMHO, that issue may have affected the first 1000 cars. In the same way, once the Model X front door latch is perfected, only those with earlier versions may be affected.

I took delivery on 12/31. My front door latches were "perfect" until they failed. Give it time.

This is exactly what i meant! All old latches on all Model X will probably fail sometime in the future. I just happened to be the "fortunate" one to fail less than 24 hours (Getting fixed early anyway). So people who do not have the latch problems might experience the latch problem in the future. Keep in mind, if your latches are old latch parts, you have a risk to fail. But again, if your car is perfectly functional, please enjoy the car as much as possible. At end of the day, we can not live under shadow believing the car will break on us. All cars do, just enjoy it!

Now at 2000 miles and 20 days with nothing much to report in the way of defects:
1. Driver's window closed outside its guide (after holding it with my fingers as it closed, it hasn't happened again.)
2. Driver's side FWD window has the crush-sensitivity a little too high, so it needed a helping push to closed fully into its seal.
3. Front seat leather creased and a bit loose from day one.
4. Buzzing "interference" noise occasionally in phone speaker location (dash under windshield at A pillar on driver's side.)
5. Central display froze (soft reboot with two thumbwheels fixed it.)
6. Carpet in driver's footwell loose next to kick panel.

We've had no day when the X demanded we change our day to charge instead of drive. Having nowhere to charge in San Francisco is helluva of a disappointment. Sacramento has supercharger locations. Stanford Mall has a Tesla store ... but zero (!) charging stations. Ugh. I assumed they'd have a whole parking row of chargers by now -- seems like an ideal win-win location. Even the "original" Tesla location in Menlo Park (now closed, but with an acre of space) did leave behind any charging bays. Supercharger locations along the Peninsula are oversubscribed. I trust Mr Tesla is actively installing charging locations everywhere.

What about at Tesla HQ. Do they have some superchargers the public can get to?

Mountain View shows some as well as San Mateo as you pointed out.

Really there are not that many superchargers in the bay area when you consider the shear number of Teslas (per capita too) in the area.

March 26 delivered VIN14xx has been trouble free even it was driven mostly by technology challenged wife. There was a delivery due bill of a small scratch on the back of right 2nd row seat but we decided not to worry about it because no one probably will see it. Wife liked the car so much we decided to get it wrapped whcih we have never considered to do for our S. It's just an awesome car way better than our March 14' S.

3000 miles, no real problems. 12-volt battery error after leaving car with detailer for a week but TM in no hurry to replace (but they are sending a ranger to replace it). Yesterday the weather was nice; drove on country roads, made a few stops, used auto-parallel park, and left the climate running for an hour or so then some mostly-autopilot highway, then supercharged a bit and drove home for a total of about 250 miles.

Attachments

• SCDILsign.jpg
    SCDILsign.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 52
I've had the car for almost 3 1/2 months...4000miles...Only really had some cosmetic issues (that are scheduled to be repaired) and some nusciance issues that appear to be getting better with SW upgrades (door sensor sensitivity, touch screen requiring reboot, intermittant autopilot lane change functionality, etc). I very happy with the handling, speed/quickness and cargo space which were my main drivers for my purchase. And I'm thrilled with the fwd, panoramic windshield and autopilot that are icing on the cake.