Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How pairing at Supercharging works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With sharing, no, they are not ever tied more than a pair of two. But it does sometimes happen that a whole site is having power supply problems, and several of the pairs are having a hard time getting high enough power levels.

With the numbers on our car side, down low on the SC, it is a bit hard to determine which side of an existing car to back-in beside that has an open SC on both sides.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Well, as soon as I backed in the lady in a Model X next to me on the paired stall with mine rolled down her window and started yelling at me that I'm "stealing her power" and that "it's going to take much longer for her to charge" and then she started yelling at me to go charge somewhere else. Then she starting trying to lecture me (in a nasty voice of course) about how pair stalls work.

Wow, just wow. I would have just pulled out my phone and started recording a video of her. LOL

It is kind of hilarious how new owners are eager to tell me about pairing or some other inside info they have. I get that regularly at Superchargers. I love how they cover their embarrassment with a constipated smile when I tell them how many miles/years I had my Tesla and charged at over 300 different superchargers.

Last edited:
Wow, just wow. I would have just pulled out my phone and started recording a video of her. LOL

It is kind of hilarious how new owners are eager to tell me about pairing or some other inside info they have. I get that regularly at Superchargers. I love how they cover their embarrassment with a constipated smile when I tell them how many miles/years I had my Tesla and charged at over 300 different superchargers.

Yeah, that's interesting to get the lecture. I've gotten that as well. But I've also dished it out but only after seeing that they are really new owners. Just this last trip at a 6 stall where I was the only car there a Model 3 pulls up and picks the paired stall to me. I was just about done so we both exited cars at the same time. Me to unplug, him to plug in. He had temporary plates so I said "just picked it up?" Yep. He was trying to open the port. Didn't know how to do it. I suppose he wasn't shown or didn't pay attention. So I helped him out and then told him about pairing. He was very thankful. When I do this I tell them that they are reducing their ability to charge, not stealing mine. This is at least the 4th time I've had this conversation with a new owner, always Model 3.

So with recent changes on V2 is there no longer priority to whoever plugs in first? Does it now just even split?
Hard to say. I think that is still up for some debate. Look at comment #150 and the next few comments from the previous page in this thread. A lot of people have been observing this half and half split instead of the primary car getting priority, like it used to be. I think it's still unknown if this is "the new way" or if it's some odd fallback mechanism that some people have seen.

Hard to say. I think that is still up for some debate. Look at comment #150 and the next few comments from the previous page in this thread. A lot of people have been observing this half and half split instead of the primary car getting priority, like it used to be. I think it's still unknown if this is "the new way" or if it's some odd fallback mechanism that some people have seen.
I wouldn't be all that surprised if this was based on location and SC firmware. There very well might be a few locations that are now doing the 2 car split (vs the old way) as a test or something. This test might also be part of a larger change involving the nerfing of supercharging speeds on some cars. Suddenly it makes more sense to just do an even split of power if cars are already getting reduced charge rates due to older batteries.

As others have mentioned the V3 rollout will alleviate this situation over time, but we are several years away from V3 (and beyond) being the norm vs the exception.

So with recent changes on V2 is there no longer priority to whoever plugs in first? Does it now just even split?

I had both on this recent trip. One dropped me from 144kW to 118kW but I was gonna start tapering anyway. The other dropped me from 144 to 72. Again, both arrivals were Model 3 owners and they had open pairs to pick from. But I didn't talk to them since they jumped out of cars, plugged in and literally ran away without waiting to see if they were actually going to get a charge.

Curiously, the urban SuC in San Jose only delivered 64kW instead of 72kW while the V3 ones in Kettleman and Reno both delivered 156kW into my S100D. At least for a few minutes. All arrivals were with battery temps around 105 degrees (measured with SMT). It was my first chance to try out V3 SuC and I really like the thin cables. You can feel the coolant circulating in the cable.:p

I think the algorithm has changed. It used to be first car arriving at a shared pair, was unaffected, and the second got what was left over. Now though it appears when charging two cars, the capacity is split in half to 72kw (75) max for both separately. I've been limping along at 72kw, then the vehicle next to me unplugs and leaves, my rate ran up to over 100. As long as my neighbor is pulling anything, my stall is capped at 72 (75).

Another way of looking at it is, if a 150kw SC is full, it appears to have the 72kw (75) capacity of an Urban SC. If your SC is half full (or less) you get a blast of extra speed, until someone pulls in next to you.

It would be cool if there was a way to answer the universal question, "I wonder which one of these empty cars has been here the longest?" <oh well>
There is a way to guess which cars will leave a charging station soon. The flash rate of the green ring around the charge port is fast when early in the charge cycle, then progressively slower as the car becomes more fully charged. Cars with slowly flashing green rings should be leaving soon. Fast flashing means they are just getting started with their charge.

except that it's going to piss off the person you're "stealing power" away from if you're not taking 72kw instead of 36kw.. I had just experienced this verbal assault last week. I arrived at a busy supercharger, 5 out of 8 stalls taken. each paired set had at least 1 car on it. so out of the 3 remaining, I randomly picked one.

Well, as soon as I backed in the lady in a Model X next to me on the paired stall with mine rolled down her window and started yelling at me that I'm "stealing her power" and that "it's going to take much longer for her to charge" and then she started yelling at me to go charge somewhere else. Then she starting trying to lecture me (in a nasty voice of course) about how pair stalls work.

seriously WTF is wrong with some owners. the sense of entitlement, and sheer stupidity, just blows me away.

like OK lady, I have 205k miles on my car and have been an owner for 7 years. I don't need any speech from her about how this works. In fact, I tried to explain to her that all paired stalls had someone on it so I had to randomly pick one. there wasn't any paired set free so I was going to have to pull up next to someone but she wasn't having it was continued to yell at me. She was just pissed off that out of the 3 open stalls that I had picked "hers" and that I was "stealing her power and inconveniencing her".

whatever lady. after realizing she was just pissed off that I picked the stall paired with hers I just ignored her and got back in my car and cranked up the volume so I didn't have to listen to her yelling at me still. I wasn't going to give in to her BS and move.
New Yorkers.

• Funny
Reactions: cleverscreenam
There is a way to guess which cars will leave a charging station soon. The flash rate of the green ring around the charge port is fast when early in the charge cycle, then progressively slower as the car becomes more fully charged. Cars with slowly flashing green rings should be leaving soon. Fast flashing means they are just getting started with their charge.

The charging ring only lights up when the key fob is near or the car is unlocked.
If owner plugs in and walks away, you won't see the charging ring rate.

Thanks for mentioning this. I must be very oblivious; I've never paid enough attention to notice this pattern. Helpful tip!

Thanks for mentioning this. I must be very oblivious; I've never paid enough attention to notice this pattern. Helpful tip!

Great advice if someone is in the unlocked car or standing near that car with a recognizable key otherwise you are never going to see that ring flash.
You can deduce something on a J1772 or Tesla Destination charger because there is a chance you will see a charge light or the green sequenced lights but not on the car's charge ring unless the car is unlocked.

EDIT: I thought I had read through the entire thread. My bad. Post #171 is incorrect; Post #173 essentially
answered as I did. More correctly: I answered as @HankLloydRright had already stated in post #173.

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight