Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How reliable is your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forum postings on reliability are usually not a good predictor for overall reliability. All manufacturers have a percentage of cars with multiple major problems - and those owners are more likely to post their experience than the much larger number of owners who haven't had any major issues.

The best indicator is the customer loyalty - how many owners of Tesla cars purchase a second or third Tesla. If they were having a bad experience with vehicle reliability or customer service, they likely would not repeat that by purchasing another car from Tesla.

We've purchased two Model S cars. We had a Model 3 reservation - and changed our minds recently and replaced that with an order for a Model X - and now that Tesla has several years of experience in manufacturing the Model X (and the falcon wing doors), we aren't concerned about reliability.
On the bolded parts, I totally disagree. Reliability and owner loyalty/satisfaction are two very independent measures.

Tesla doesn't do that well in the reliability department: Car Brands Reliability: How They Stack Up yet they do very well at Car Brands Ranked by Owner Satisfaction and 10 Most Satisfying Cars w/Tesla and the Model S holding #1 spots.

On the 2nd bolded part, Model X is dead last at 10 Least Reliable Cars. The year before, Model X was middle of the bottom 10: 10 Least Reliable Cars. At 2018 Tesla Model X Owner Satisfaction - Consumer Reports (you may need a subscription to view the ratings), the Model X is highest of the luxury SUVs compared against for "Would you buy this car again?" at 88%. The lowest there is the Infiniti QX60 at 53%.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Those were issues that were covered under warranty and the drive unit I have had for almost 2 years now has not made a noise for 80k miles. The drive unit never failed! A DU replacement is not equivalent to an engine replacement in an ICE car. Yes we all know about the initial issues with the drive units. They are fixed now and if you buy a Tesla now (used or new) they are fine. Yes I was annoyed back then but a buyer now will not have any of these issues. What's the point of bringing up issues that doesn't exist any more?

The fishtailing turned out to be an issue with the tires I had. I switched tires and it was gone for good.

My 2016 has needed a drive unit replaced twice already. 36k miles on the odometer.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
How are the roads in your area? I've had some suspension issues (ball joints, air springs) but the roads in my area are terrible, tons of pot holes and uneven roads.
The highways are mostly in pretty good shape. There are a number of towns I drive through with some rough roads though. Winter is tough on them. The potholes are filled in, but after so many patches a lot of the roads need to be re-paved.

On the bolded parts, I totally disagree. Reliability and owner loyalty/satisfaction are two very independent measures.

Tesla doesn't do that well in the reliability department: Car Brands Reliability: How They Stack Up yet they do very well at Car Brands Ranked by Owner Satisfaction and 10 Most Satisfying Cars w/Tesla and the Model S holding #1 spots.

On the 2nd bolded part, Model X is dead last at 10 Least Reliable Cars. The year before, Model X was middle of the bottom 10: 10 Least Reliable Cars. At 2018 Tesla Model X Owner Satisfaction - Consumer Reports (you may need a subscription to view the ratings), the Model X is highest of the luxury SUVs compared against for "Would you buy this car again?" at 88%. The lowest there is the Infiniti QX60 at 53%.

Hmmm, although this thread is about the Model S, for some reason you neglect to mention that the Model S earned an "Above Average" reliability rating from Consumer Reports. It had a better reliability rating than the Audi A8, Mercedes S class and BMW 7 Series. How Consumer Reports Rated Top Electric Cars in Reliability for 2018 Consumer Reports raises Tesla Model S reliability rating to ‘above average’, also rates Model 3 reliability sight unseen

The Model S was also the number 1 rated car overall by Consumer Reports (combination of reliability, owner satisfaction and road test):

According to the Brand Report Card, the Model S scored higher than any other car in the magazine’s test, with a 4/5 predicted reliability score, a perfect 5/5 for predicted owner satisfaction, and a perfect 100 rating on the road test.​

Tesla makes Consumer Reports' Top 10 Car Brands as lone US carmaker

IMO Consumer Reports' reliability data is more meaningful than anecdotal reports.

Should all the others who answered with some of their issues (e.g. drive units, MCU, door handles, AC failures, etc.) change their answer to be like yours? Should we also question the claims of others with "zero problems" or "no problems"?

Maybe. As I've posted many times in threads we both frequent.... drivetrain replacement is equivalent to "servicing" an ICE engine. Tesla has just elected to centralize repairs. They remove and replace in less time than an old fashioned tune-up. And, would you consider needing a tune-up a "problem"? Or just standard maintenance.

I've had a DU replaced. Also contactors proactively replaced. Also door handles proactively replaced. All at my annual service appointment. I would not consider those "problems". To me, a problem would be something that takes the car off the road for other than standard maintenance, or materially impacts use of vehicle.

This is a great thread for anyone considering the Extended Service Agreement as well. I have about 4 months and 4,000 miles left on the factory warranty before I have to decide on the ESA. When I bought the car used in November 2017 I had it solidly in my head that I would absolutely buy the ESA when the time came. Now I'm not so sure, and I think I may 'self insure' it with the $4K cost of the ESA. It's a late 2015 build Model S, and has been solid since I've owned it.

I've had a number of warranty repairs but have never been left stranded, although one problem — MCU (main screen) failure — did affect my ability to drive the car.

CPO S60, May 2014 build, purchased with fewer than 7000 miles on it. I've added 45,000+ miles in 2¼ years, most of them on long road trips with 198 Supercharging stops. Six road trips of 2000+ miles.

• Door handle replaced.

• Drive Unit replaced (got the newer rebuilt version that likely won't need replacing again).

• Right front knuckle joint replaced.

• MCU (Media Control Unit — main screen) replaced (with newer LTE version and greatly improved performance).

• 12 V battery replaced (at four years).

In the meantime I've had OTA firmware updates that have considerably improved the car and my driving experience. I'm nearing the end of my 50,000 mile warranty but plan to keep the car for now and hope for the best. That should be way cheaper than trading it in for a newer CPO with a fresh warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Hmmm, although this thread is about the Model S, for some reason you neglect to mention that the Model S earned an "Above Average" reliability rating from Consumer Reports. It had a better reliability rating than the Audi A8, Mercedes S class and BMW 7 Series. How Consumer Reports Rated Top Electric Cars in Reliability for 2018 Consumer Reports raises Tesla Model S reliability rating to ‘above average’, also rates Model 3 reliability sight unseen

The Model S was also the number 1 rated car overall by Consumer Reports (combination of reliability, owner satisfaction and road test):

According to the Brand Report Card, the Model S scored higher than any other car in the magazine’s test, with a 4/5 predicted reliability score, a perfect 5/5 for predicted owner satisfaction, and a perfect 100 rating on the road test.​

Tesla makes Consumer Reports' Top 10 Car Brands as lone US carmaker

IMO Consumer Reports' reliability data is more meaningful than anecdotal reports.
Yes, currently, the Model S has a 4/5 of for predicted reliability, but this wasn't always the case. CR issues new reliability scores at least once a year based upon survey results that cover a 12 month window of time for a given make and model year (Consumer Reports' Car Reliability FAQ). It's a shorter duration for the latest model year.

There are numerous threads here on TMC where numerous folks were angry and crying foul during years where the Model S scored below average in reliability and hence wasn't recommended.

Looking at model year, the '12, '16 and '17 essentially receive average reliability (it's in the middle of the scale of 1 to 5). '13 is well below average (would be 1/5 on their scale), '14 is below average (would be 2/5 on their scale) and '15 is above average (4/5). All of this may change the next time they issue reliability ratings, which is about a year from when they issued these.

Currently, at Used Cars to Avoid Buying, '13 S + '16 and 17 X are on used cars to avoid.

To compare to the other cars you list isn't a great comparison, BMW and Mercedes aren't known for great nor consistently good reliability. Audi was also not good but somehow supposedly improved over the last few years.

In comparison, for say Toyota Prius, predicted reliability is 5/5. Model years go back to 2001. Every single year has the highest mark (5/5) except 01 and 06, which get 4/5 on their scale.

I took a look at Camry. Predicted reliability is 4/5. They also go back to the 01 model year. 01 got a 4/5. All model years from '02 to '17 get 5/5.

But yes, I already discussed satisfaction which is independent of reliability.

Last edited:
A little update about my car (see post #37):

I dropped the car at the SC as scheduled on June, 13th. The tech guy took the list I wrote with all my issues (and with times & dates to ease the log searching for them) and read through them all along with me in my car. They gave me a older S P90D loaner and said they'll probably be done with my car on Friday.

Unfortunately, they called me a few hours later saying that while doing some measurements on the car, they isolated an issue with the main battery pack. They said it's a serious issue which will need the battery to be replaced under warranty (the car is 14 months old and have almost 30K kilometers). They didn't tell me how long it will take, unfortunately. I'm in touch with a Tesla representative in order to have more informations.

• Informative
2015 85D....98,000 and not one issue. Still drives like brand new. I thought I might trade it in on a model 3 and rented one for the day...no comparison and decided to keep my s another 100k miles. Thus far it has easily been the best and most reliable car I have ever owned. I don't baby it, drive the heck out of it and have never even taken it in for servicing.

Yes, currently, the Model S has a 4/5 of for predicted reliability, but this wasn't always the case. CR issues new reliability scores at least once a year based upon survey results that cover a 12 month window of time for a given make and model year (Consumer Reports' Car Reliability FAQ). It's a shorter duration for the latest model year.

There are numerous threads here on TMC where numerous folks were angry and crying foul during years where the Model S scored below average in reliability and hence wasn't recommended.

Looking at model year, the '12, '16 and '17 essentially receive average reliability (it's in the middle of the scale of 1 to 5). '13 is well below average (would be 1/5 on their scale), '14 is below average (would be 2/5 on their scale) and '15 is above average (4/5). All of this may change the next time they issue reliability ratings, which is about a year from when they issued these.

Currently, at Used Cars to Avoid Buying, '13 S + '16 and 17 X are on used cars to avoid.

To compare to the other cars you list isn't a great comparison, BMW and Mercedes aren't known for great nor consistently good reliability. Audi was also not good but somehow supposedly improved over the last few years.

In comparison, for say Toyota Prius, predicted reliability is 5/5. Model years go back to 2001. Every single year has the highest mark (5/5) except 01 and 06, which get 4/5 on their scale.

I took a look at Camry. Predicted reliability is 4/5. They also go back to the 01 model year. 01 got a 4/5. All model years from '02 to '17 get 5/5.

But yes, I already discussed satisfaction which is independent of reliability.

Thank you for acknowledging the Model S has above average reliability according to Consumer Reports.

As is often the case for new models with other manufacturers, the earlier years ('13 and '14) were less reliable but Tesla has improved significantly since then (the same issue with first years of the Model X, which I expect will receive higher marks from CR when this year's report comes out).

You dismiss Model S's superior reliability to BMW 7-Series, Audi A8 and Mercedes S class, but those are cars in the same class as the Model S. Also, OP mentioned that he has been driving BMWs for the past 10 years.

And of course you hear from the people who do have issues -- they tend to be much more vocal on TMC and elsewhere on social media. But anecdotal reports are not meaningful for assessing overall reliability, especially compared to Consumer Reports' systematic collection of reliability data.

Reactions: David99
My back right door opens by itself when I unlock the car or put it in park... but it only happens after heavy rain or if it's REALLY HOT!

I live in Florida - it happens a lot :-D

I'd get it fixed but I've already been blowing all this money on new wheels, spoilers, etc... so yeah... I'll get to the door eventually.

At least it doesn't happen when I drive.

Other than that, the car is splendid!!

July 2014 S85 - 52,000 miles

Warranty Items fixed:

Master Charger

Milage - 1,195

Replaced - max charge is only 30 amp on AC Power

Master Charger

Mileage - 5,586

Replaced - max charge is only 30 amp on AC Power

Condensation and bugs in Hatch Tail lights

Milage - 28,460

Replaced both tail lights

Battery coolant heater

Milage - 39,410

Proactive replacement with drive uint

Charge port door

Milage - 39,410

Proactive replacement with drive uint

Drive Unit

Milage - 39,410

Replaced to fix load whining noise

12V Battery

Milage - 49,262

Replaced after warning message

Passenger Vanity Mirror

Milage - 49,262

Replaced entire assembly because mirror broke off - normal wear and tear (non warranty) but replaced as goodwill

Window Regulators - All windows

Milage - 49,262

Replaced all 4 window regulators because will not auto roll up after being rolled down

Lower fore links

Milage - 49,262

Proactive replacement of LH & RH front suspension lower fore links at 50,000 mile service

Vacuum Brake booster

Milage - 49,262

Replaced Vacuum brake booster assembly because of load noise when shifting into drive

Door Handle

Mileage - 49,262

Replaced passenger driver side door handle. Presents and retracts but will not open from outside.

• Informative