Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would autopilot handle this scenario.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I do not currently own a Model S however I do have a Model 3 reserved. Yesterday I was traveling down the interstate (BMW335i no autonomy at all) two lanes with a shoulder on the right. I was in the right lane. Suddenly a piece of wicker patio furniture flew out of a truck bed that was about 100 yards in front of me. It landed directly in my lane. The two cars in front of me both swerved out of the lane to avoid it and seeing the cars in front of me swerving alerted me and thus I was prepared and able to avoid the obstacle by moving to the shoulder on my right (the lane directly to the left of me was occupied).

After this incident I was wondering what would happen if I was in my Model 3 on autopilot.

Right now? Ap2 would not be engaged Due to being over 45mph, and ap1 would crash right into it.
I lol'ed, but I completely agree with you.

AutoPilot != Autonomous. It's a drivers aid that can be used to help your driving, you must still pay attention. So AP would do exactly what is quoted above.

Now, if you want to speculate what would happen when Tesla releases a car capable of Level 4/5 FSD, then we can speculate that it'd find a way to avoid it. At any level below that I foresee an accident if the driver isn't paying attention, like he's supposed to be.

Reactions: bmah
I believe that automatic emergency braking would likely engage, whether or not AP was enabled. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't hit it (it probably would in your scenario).

Not sure about that. If the radar were able to detect an object, AEB might engage, but in the OPs case this was a piece of wicker furniture. That has virtually no radar return, so I doubt the radar could have seen it.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
The best thing that can be said right now is that AP would free the driver from staring at the back bumper of the car in front, and give you more chances to scan farther ahead and see a flying table.

There's no known ability for AP to avoid flying debris. There's a very small chance that if the debris is sufficiently metallic and in your direct path that it would trigger stationary-object-in-path detection and give you an alarm.

But under no circumstances are either AP1 or AP2 Autosteer today programmed to permit departing your lane. Period.

After this incident I was wondering what would happen if I was in my Model 3 on autopilot.

There's a model 3 forum group, you could post the question over there and see what others say?
They probably have a better idea. We're restricted to talking about model S in this group... you know, rules. :p

But I think the best answer has already been provided... what would happen is that you'd slam on the brakes and/or make a panic lane change as did the other cars ahead of you. How could you not? Your reflexes would take over and the car's AP would let you. Most modern cars remain well composed in these situations.... if the road was in good condition.

Consumer's Report and other car mags report on "slalom tests" and "emergency lane change" tests.

Here's a video on how to do it properly.

Hands on 9 & 3 positions... BUMP BUMP BUMP watch the video! Crossing your arms over.
Do it in one second and you're over one lane. Cool hey? Practice this on a quiet road. Have the confidence to do it when you need to.

Key question: did you *know* there was room to do this immediately beside your car.. or did you just side swipe something? If you're confident in your emergency lane change ability and you are aware of neighbors on the road... you're a better driver.

Dash cam catch it? Send it in, unsecured load ticket.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: lunitiks
Thanks for all the replies. Pretty much what I expected. Actually if autopilot is not going to make a lane change to avoid the obstacle it would be preferred in this situation to just run right into it (AEB would have likely caused a rear end collision pile up behind me.)

I have no intention of not paying attention with hands on the wheel at all times but I was just curious.

No dash cam video of then incident unfortunately.

I'm actually pretty confident that AP1 with the radar upgrade would try to stop for this. I've seen the radar pick up objects only a few inches across so even being wicker furniture it would have detected some object. Now if it could stop in time is another question. But it certainly would not swerve out of the way.