Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm a noob waiting on my CPO 2014 blue Model S. I'm trying to decide where to install my Wall Connector. I've already read prior threads on this, including viewing awesome pics like the one below by @systemcrashed and other pics by @CmdrThor and @pchan (thanks to all!).

I'm looking to try the same thing but have only 9-10" of room between my 2 garage doors. I'd prefer to install a 24' HPWC here if possible, as I will have a Model S in one garage and a future Model 3 (to replace my wife's Leaf) in the other. Do any of you think I will be able to make it work if I use the Gecko toe hose holders?

The other option is to install it on the right side of the garage. Unfortunately, this might lead to one vehicle running over the cord accidentally if the other is plugged in and charging. I'm guessing Tesla wouldn't recommend running over the charging cable. Thanks ahead of time for your collective help.

Attachments

• IMG_1163.JPG
    IMG_1163.JPG
    404.2 KB · Views: 1,776
The HPWC itself will fit, but the cable doesn't coil very tight because it's quite hefty.
Putting it between the doors will probably leave loops of the cable hanging out the sides, plus the charge plug goes into the side of the unit, so will also stick out.

I had my charging installed between garage doors before I moved & will do that again on the house I'm building. Putting on the post between allowed me to put the car in either bay and it reached whether I backed the car in (a habit) or pulled straight in.

If you have room, I'd do that. (Obviously I'd do that again, since I am. :) )

-- update:
Also worth noting - As an EV owner, you will find more and more of your friends drive EVs. And invariably, some will need a charge to get home. Placing your charge options near the door (even if not on the post) means they can charge their vehicle & you don't have to move cars in & out.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm a noob waiting on my CPO 2014 blue Model S. I'm trying to decide where to install my Wall Connector. I've already read prior threads on this, including viewing awesome pics like the one below by @systemcrashed and other pics by @CmdrThor and @pchan (thanks to all!).

I'm looking to try the same thing but have only 9-10" of room between my 2 garage doors. I'd prefer to install a 24' HPWC here if possible, as I will have a Model S in one garage and a future Model 3 (to replace my wife's Leaf) in the other. Do any of you think I will be able to make it work if I use the Gecko toe hose holders?

The other option is to install it on the right side of the garage. Unfortunately, this might lead to one vehicle running over the cord accidentally if the other is plugged in and charging. I'm guessing Tesla wouldn't recommend running over the charging cable. Thanks ahead of time for your collective help.

Do you have wall space in front of the parking space? It should reach to the charging port from that spot.

The 25ft cable is lovely. It would probably work in a 3 car garage, but there's definitely reach for any "near door" placement (left, right or center) to reach both cars in a 2 car garage.

Hi all,

You may want to get creative and space the hose racks further apart so you have fewer loops. Maybe even try to have one above the Wall Connector so the length of the loops are 6' or so. You will have to contend with the conduit if it is coming in from the top, but I would think you would be able to work something out. If you got the same hose rack that was linked, you probably will have to cut off a bit, I think it is wider than 9-10 inches.

The other option is to install it on the right side of the garage. Unfortunately, this might lead to one vehicle running over the cord accidentally if the other is plugged in and charging. I'm guessing Tesla wouldn't recommend running over the charging cable.

You are correct that the cable should not be run over. You will find some posts here by people who say they do it all the time, and more posts by people telling them they should not.

Reactions: TomatoOne
The HPWC itself will fit, but the cable doesn't coil very tight because it's quite hefty.
Putting it between the doors will probably leave loops of the cable hanging out the sides, plus the charge plug goes into the side of the unit, so will also stick out.
How high is the ceiling? I put a big hook (the kind used to hang bicycles) in front of the EVSE on our 8' ceiling. It's a simple matter to loop the charge cable up over the hook when not in use. The cable is stiff enough that you can simply hold it in a loop, push the loop up and over the hook; no ladder needed. Also high enough that small children aren't going to mess with it.

My cable is shorter (about 18'), so a single loop keeps most of it off the floor. A 25' cable might take two loops, but should still be reasonable. Orient the hook so that the loops hang perpendicular to the garage door, so the doors don't scrape it as they go by.

Don't let the plug location hold you back, though. You could either let it dangle, or use something like what I used:
Rounded Tesla Model S & X Wall Charger Plug Holder by Gizmotoy

I wonder if you could mount a hook such that the cable winds perpendicular to the garage door openings. Then you wouldn't have to coil the cable tightly, and it would still be readily-available. Might impede operation of the rear doors depending on how far you can pull in, though.

Reactions: DIL and davewill
I did the same thing. Have not had a problem with it. I'd like to clean it up a bit with some cable management but it really has not been an issue. 25ft cablet reaches outside Wichita is a big plus. Sorry about picture quality, it's off plugshare.
Screenshot_2017-02-27-12-58-12.png

I should note, I now park in the middle bay (to the left) of our 3 car garage, which makes plugging in super easy, but wanted to be able to charge in this stall for another Tesla to be named in the future ( we don't need to charge every day)

Having two plugins, I can say that one EVSE for two cars isn't very convenient at the best of times. If it were me, I'd consider putting the wall connector with the short cable positioned for your current needs, and plan on adding a second wall connector (as a slave if necessary) on positioned for the second car later.

Wow! What a responsive community. Thank you all for your wonderful input.

@CmdrThor I definitely plan to cut off a small portion of the Gecko hose rack so it fits. My original plan is sort of what you suggest (to try to wrap with longer stretches). I figure if I can create 6' long stretches, I'd only need four vertical lengths of cord (two round-trip loops).

I also like others' suggestions to dangle the excess cord perpendicularly from a ceiling mount. Unfortunately, there are only 8" between the doors' treads. @gregd Our ceiling is 9.5' high, so even the 24' cord would only need minimal winding if I used a ceiling dangle technique.

@Blup85 Has your cord ever gotten hung up as the garage door opens? My electrician is most worried about that risk and whether it will pass my county inspection because of that possibility. Also, love your S's color. ;^)

The installation happens on Wednesday. My electrician was cautiously optimistic. I'll post pics after the fact, if I get it to work. Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.

@davewill We actually already have a GE J1772 charger in our garage which my wife has been using for years (she has a Leaf). I wanted to use the 24' corded charger though. I figure it gives me more flexibility, such as more rapid charging for her when she gets her Model 3, as well as to be able to charge either car if parked in the driveway.

Missed that point. :eek:

As someone else pointed out you would probably have to run the cable up and over and have it hang from the ceiling on a retractable cord. One my my neighbors does this.
Definitely doable.
My installation is semi-temporary and uses a wire hook to hang a few spools of the cable. Looks a bit messy but works well. Will be moving soon so did a quick and dirty installation.

Photos show my solution the same problem: a "cable protector straight ramp" from Amazon. My installer felt there was not enough room for installation and wiring for an HPWC between the garage doors and that wires might be caught in the garage door. The downside to my solution is that summon works inconsistently when driving over the ramps.

Attachments

• IMG_1184.JPG
    IMG_1184.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_1188.JPG
    IMG_1188.JPG