Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 even after April 12th build date

Do you have HW3 build date after April 12?

• Yes

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 49.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to pickup the my replacement order Performance Model 3 with build date 6/12. Verified HW3 with H.265 codec on dashcam after rep had confirmed it on the Tesla build database.

Unfortunately, the replacement vehicle failed paint inspection, same as the first. This example had dozens of 1/16" pinholes in the clearcoat all over the hood. It was obvious within a 60 second walk around of the car.

Sadly, I'm going to move on for the time being.

I feel that I would have been a valuable brand advocate for Tesla since I have spent 25+ years in the Automotive industry and serve as a technology director. People tend to come to me for advice on cars and technology, and Tesla is an embodiment of both. I really wanted this car and was excited about becoming part of such a loyal community of enthusiasts.

However, if Tesla cannot get paint right, I have no confidence that they can get the complex aspects of the car right. Paint quality has been excellent in the automotive industry for decades. I have personally averaged 2 new car purchases per year for the past 10 years and have not had a single vehicle with paint that I found unacceptable. Tesla has sent me 2 of them in the past month. This is from a company who compares their vehicle to BMW and Mercedes as a benchmark. These paint jobs would be put to shame by a (made in Mexico) Ford Fiesta.

Tesla excels in developing technology far more advanced than any other car on the planet. Those of us who have had the opportunity to own and drive them understand why they are so much better than any other car available and are willing to forgive the quality control issues around paint and body hardware. You could find an ICE car with a great paint job but it won’t even come close to the driving and ownership experience of a Tesla. And my paint job is great. No imperfections noticeable to me personally, and paint correction is not very expensive if need be.

Guys, these problems were clearly visible from 10 feet away without looking hard. I am not some crazy paint fanatic. For those defending this level of quality, either this forum is infested with corporate damage control or you drank too much of the coolaid. I really wanted to like this car - and I went in willing to make some compromises knowing this was a fledgling company trying to revolutionize the industry.

Not really fledgling but perhaps pioneering. Its been around for 15 years.
Painting cant be a secret in the Auto field so its crazy that Tesla with billions cant get it it better than currently. Surely their are companies/consultants who specialize in Paint Shops for Auto plants. Though I think California has tougher rules than most places so that might make it a challenge.
I suspect that if every 2nd person refused the car due to paint it might actually get resolved.

I’ve rejected 2 cars in the past six months and taken delivery of 3. So I don’t think I’m willing to tolerate poor quality control. The three cars we took delivery of were really in virtually perfect condition, so I know Tesla is capable of putting out a quality product.

But even if I had to accept some paint blemishes to drive a Tesla rather than a perfectly painted ICE car I would find the trade off worth it. There are so many advantages to the Tesla that overall they outweighs any blemishes or limitations I might have to live with.

Not really fledgling but perhaps pioneering. Its been around for 15 years.
Painting cant be a secret in the Auto field so its crazy that Tesla with billions cant get it it better than currently. Surely their are companies/consultants who specialize in Paint Shops for Auto plants. Though I think California has tougher rules than most places so that might make it a challenge.
I suspect that if every 2nd person refused the car due to paint it might actually get resolved.

I appreciate and agree with your comments. Although Tesla wasn't really building cars when they were producing the roadster (it was a Lotus). So if we are being generous, they've only been doing this since 2012.

One of the reasons I gave up on doing this a 3rd time is that there were 5 other vehicles in the pickup bay - and I looked around at them to determine my odds... All 5 of them had the same spotted hood as mine. It was much less visible on a white one, but I could still see it from 10 feet away.

Maybe they are rushing things to exceed shareholder's 2nd quarter expectations, but having all of these cars rejected by prospective buyers does not help profitability. These are very expensive mistakes.

I’ve rejected 2 cars in the past six months and taken delivery of 3. So I don’t think I’m willing to tolerate poor quality control. The three cars we took delivery of were really in virtually perfect condition, so I know Tesla is capable of putting out a quality product.

But even if I had to accept some paint blemishes to drive a Tesla rather than a perfectly painted ICE car I would find the trade off worth it. There are so many advantages to the Tesla that overall they outweighs any blemishes or limitations I might have to live with.

It is good to know they can get it right. I have been driving EVs since the original Nissan Leaf, so I appreciate the benefits and hope to give Tesla another chance. For now, I will enjoy our Honda Clarity PHEV when I want the EV silence and my Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio when I want... less silence.

Now that worries me, I have a VIN of 414xxx, build of 1 June, and was told by my DS it "has the new chip" when I asked about HW3. I guess I'll just have to wait and see when I get it. I have AP but not FSD so like you, I wouldn't return over it, but it would be nice to get the latest.

Well, my video is H264 encoded - is the consensus still that this means its HW2.5? Car built in June 2019...

Guys, these problems were clearly visible from 10 feet away without looking hard. I am not some crazy paint fanatic. For those defending this level of quality, either this forum is infested with corporate damage control or you drank too much of the coolaid. I really wanted to like this car - and I went in willing to make some compromises knowing this was a fledgling company trying to revolutionize the industry.
I suggest try a third time. I found paint issues as well and other alignment concerns. Thus far had mobile service come to my house to fix some of the problems. Paint issues i have an appointment for and I have been told if they can not fix it the car will go to a body shop and they will pay for it. I even found something almost a month later on the windshield, which they are willing to fix no compains from their end.

I am not saying your being picky but I will say some things are worth the compromise given it is perfected from their end sooner or later.

Funny when a car like that makes a lot of noise but still gets spanked by a Performance 3.

Like the little engines that COULDNT. ;)

And a Clarity over a Volt?

You are 0/2 on decision making for vehicles.

Ha! The Alfa gets a whole lot more attention than a model 3 and is far more unique - I never see another Quad on the road around here. And although the Clarity certainly lacks the sheetmetal beauty of the Alfa, it is a superior car in most ways to the Volt - which was orphaned by GM this year. More EV range in real world comparison, WAY more comfortable and a superior ride. And I trust it will be bombproof from a maintenance standpoint when compared with a Volt. I drove a Volt before buying a Clarity. It was a decent car, just not as good as the Honda.

I suggest try a third time. I found paint issues as well and other alignment concerns. Thus far had mobile service come to my house to fix some of the problems. Paint issues i have an appointment for and I have been told if they can not fix it the car will go to a body shop and they will pay for it. I even found something almost a month later on the windshield, which they are willing to fix no compains from their end.

I am not saying your being picky but I will say some things are worth the compromise given it is perfected from their end sooner or later.

Although I would agree that the Tesla agents seemed very accommodating and willing to rework all of the problems - I have enough things to juggle in my life without "perfecting" a new car purchase with multiple service calls.

Although I would agree that the Tesla agents seemed very accommodating and willing to rework all of the problems - I have enough things to juggle in my life without "perfecting" a new car purchase with multiple service calls.

Here is a fundamental law of the universe:

The hotter something is, the crazier it is.

When not being a pain these are dream vehicles. At least the opinion held by me anyway. :)

My SR+ was built in June and I have codec H264. Now Elon posts this on tweeter:

965D5936-B966-44E3-8F3D-135EA70BEBED.jpeg 37D759E3-1EA9-47B9-BFED-525CBD33C23D.jpeg

So, HW3 can encode H264 or he's mistaken. :(

My AWD was built in June and I have codec H265. I didn’t order FSD.

I do not think Elon knows everything happening in the production line. He perhaps assumed his company did follow what he tweeted months ago. It makes no sense to use different codec with the same HW/SW.