Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they sold you a car with a the top speed is 250km/h and they later say it only goes 200 km/h but we have an update. However, you only get the update if you need to go that fast.. That doesn't make sense either. You bought something and paid money for it. So you are entitled to get it.
I would just tell you that the hardware is good enough but the software is not :p
There is no way to prove that the hardware is not good enough. Maybe Tesla just hasn't hired good enough programmers.
Andrej Karpathy said six months ago that Tesla had already developed neural nets that run well on HW3 but require too much computational power for the earlier HW.

“The reason this is important is that it is a common finding in the industry and that we see this as well is that as you make the networks bigger by adding more neurons, the accuracy of all their predictions increases with the added capacity. So, in other words, we are currently at a place where we've trained large neural networks data work very well, but we are not able to deploy them to the fleet due to computational constraints. So all of this will change with an acceleration of the hardware and it's a massive step improvement in the compute capability and the team is incredibly excited to get these networks out there.” Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Q3 2018 Earnings Conference Call Transcript -- The Motley Fool

That together with Elon’s prediction that Tesla would be feature complete for FSD by the end of 2019 suggests to me the initial differentiation will come sooner than you predict.
I am standing by my prediction. No HW3 upgrades in 2019 definitely, 2020 maybe.

I would just tell you that the hardware is good enough but the software is not :p
There is no way to prove that the hardware is not good enough. Maybe Tesla just hasn't hired good enough programmers.

Well one thing we can probably agree on is that it is sort of pointless to argue about this sort of thing -- we will find out soon enough!:)

Would'n it be better to wait until you buy FSD that way if HW3 is replaced by HW4 you would receive the latest and more powerful chip ?

I just want what I paid for.

There's also so one on the forum (can't remember who) who said that HW2.0 also need to replace camera's and radar. With that and the new computer HW2.0 will suddenly also get Sentry mode and dash cam features which isn't part of the FSD suite. So, ok I don't really mind not getting the HW3 computer if it is solely for FSD, though I still think I am entitled too. However, if they suddenly get other goodies to people who have HW3 which isn't part of the FSD suite then I am going to protest. I also want assurances that upgrades will be possible to the next owner if I do desire to sell the car.

Everyone needs to take a step back. Autonomous is what we’re thinking when we say FSD. And, Tesla doesn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of making the Model 3 autonomous. It just doesn’t have the sensors required (look at the sensors on current test autonimous fleets for comparison).

So, everyone is arguing about getting better hardware for something that likely won’t ever happen, and definitely won’t happen during the time most of us will own our current car.

I guess you could say you want the new hardware for better AP performance, but that doesn’t seem worth all this stress.

Im expecting to get my HW 3 retrofit sometime in 2020... maybe mid 2020. With the way tesla operates, it will likely be advantageous to get the upgrade LATER rather than sooner, since tesla constantly iterates on both hardware and software. Thats one reason why I have not pushed for trying to get my spoiler for my model 3P. I am hoping that by waiting, I will get a better part, rather than dealing with what some have on the previous installs.

For me personally as long as I get the upgrade by the end of 2020 I will likely be ok with it.

Here you go. Thanks for that.

This is what I mean. If it now appears that my car isn't hardware ready fo FSD they should make it so.

Having a hard time seeing what the DAMAGES would be for if someone were to take Tesla to court over this. If you had no intentions of using FSD, as confirmed by your lack of FSD purchase, you'll have a hard time proving your loss.

Here you go. Thanks for that.

This is what I mean. If it now appears that my car isn't hardware ready fo FSD they should make it so.

I'm from the US, so I had to use google translate to convert to Canadian. Your car is ready for FSD just like the Calgary Flames (aka HW3) and the Ottawa Senators (HW2.5) are both ready to win Hockey games. Both can do it, just one does it better. :D

Please note, I like Canada, I'm just trying to add a little humour. (see, I even spelled that right for you!)

Took delivery of may SR+, black, black, no extras on 3/23.

Was told by my delivery rep that my 3 had HW3, and that all mid/late March Model 3 deliveries would as well. I asked him how to verify and he told me they could verify after a service appointment. If anybody has ideas on how else to verify I am game and would post.

Wow. I really hope this is true. Have your tried the ev-cpo options lookup tool? Check out this thread for how X owners are verifying HW3: So I received a HW3

I'm from the US, so I had to use google translate to convert to Canadian. Your car is ready for FSD just like the Calgary Flames (aka HW3) and the Ottawa Senators (HW2.5) are both ready to win Hockey games. Both can do it, just one does it better. :D

Please note, I like Canada, I'm just trying to add a little humour. (see, I even spelled that right for you!)

LOL, no Flames is 2.5, while Senators is 2.0. An expansion team, namely 3.0, will join NHL (aka Tesla) in the near future, we just don't know when.

One more way you can try if you still have the "view spec" link. Here are instructions from tkun in the reddit thread below.

I just checked the ev-cpo.com option decoder page. Just copy your ‘View Spec’ button link and stick it on the page. What was interesting was that there were VIN numbers about 25 above mine that were in inventory at Tesla that did NOT have HW3.0 so it must be based on build start date. Mine started on March 15th and finished on the 22nd.

HW 3.0 Model X delivered today from the Fremont Factory : TeslaLounge