Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wish the Model 3 had the new Model S steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like the latest screen update - seems like 20-somethings are on the design team as well as the software team. :rolleyes:

Makes me wonder if they take the bus to work or drive an actual car.

I have had my M3 for 8 months now. The technology is amazing, I love driving the car, and I'm convinced when I replace my M3 in about 7 years I will get another electric car. However, after the Christmas update that messed up a great UI and this steering wheel nonsense, I'll be more likely to select an electric car from a "normal" car company that knows how to make cars for drivers. I'm sure the major automakers will have dozens of great EVs to choose from then.

I much prefer my setup, but also understand that everyone has an opinion:

IMG_0576.JPG

View attachment 631612
When I looked at driver-centric displays, I noticed how small a gap there was thru the steering wheel. For an S with a driver display, it makes some sense to improve visibility by removing the top of the wheel.

As long as the buttons are perfectly placed for thumb use, ergonomically, I think people may find they adapt pretty quickly. I'm certainly willing to try. I've been thinking, I never put my hand on the top of my steering wheel, and even when I make a sharp turn, I can't recall ever putting my hand on top. I'm more likely to use the yokes or the bottom of the wheel, because on a sharp turn, the bottom of the wheel becomes the top. I'll have to test to make sure.

When I looked at driver-centric displays, I noticed how small a gap there was thru the steering wheel. For an S with a driver display, it makes some sense to improve visibility by removing the top of the wheel.

As long as the buttons are perfectly placed for thumb use, ergonomically, I think people may find they adapt pretty quickly. I'm certainly willing to try. I've been thinking, I never put my hand on the top of my steering wheel, and even when I make a sharp turn, I can't recall ever putting my hand on top. I'm more likely to use the yokes or the bottom of the wheel, because on a sharp turn, the bottom of the wheel becomes the top. I'll have to test to make sure.

It all boils down to how you drive the car (or if you prefer to let the car drive you). I love to take spirited drives in the mountains and track my car. No way in hell I would want that steering wheel in those situations. I much prefer something with excellent grip for truly spirited driving with my lead foot in the twisties!

Wait is he indicating that the car will assume whether you want to go in forward or reverse? I figured they were just moving PRND to the screen as that would be fine but I wouldn't want my car guessing which direction I want to be in.
I would not trust this to work 100% of the time. Good thing there are force feedback buttons near the phone charger.

Those icons are buttons. You press them to turn on the left turn or right turn signal.
Yes, I understand that they are buttons.

I would rather press the button on the left side of the wheel for a left indication, and the right side of the wheel for the right indication.
I would rather _not_ press the top button on the left side of the wheel for right indication and the bottom button on the left side of the wheel for a left indication.

Up is right / down is left is nonsense.

View attachment 631612

Details on that display? Love it! Would love to do the same.

I would not trust this to work 100% of the time. Good thing there are force feedback buttons near the phone charger.

I would trust it to work zero percent of the time. I hope there is a defeat for this ridiculously unsafe feature.

On to the wheel.

The capacitive controls for turn signal and whatnot don't bother me too much. They are already present in all new Ferraris, some Lambos, etc. So they are proven to work.

The yoke, though, no thanks.

Audi has had active steering ratio for some time now. Not sure if they still have it or they ditched it. It was universally panned for being weird to use, lacking any feel, and just being non-intuitive feeling. Maybe modern computing power and sensors can make it work better? I am not sure. But with a standard rack, even one with multiple ratios (i.e. steering gets faster off center) I don't see this working at all.

Yeah, right. Which you will have to take your eyes away from the windshield to see, versus having a stalk you can touch and actaute easily without looking. Increasing the workload on the driver is NOT the way to go!