TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I WON! Thanks to this forum!

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by AMPd, Apr 19, 2016.

1. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

After nearly a year (11 months) of battling the owner of the condo I live in regarding installing a higher powered plug for the model s, and constantly being told to "go **** myself"... but in a classy way, I was finally able to get him to agree to let me install a nema 14-50!!!
    I referred him to the California law that prevents condo owners from not allowing EV owners to install charging equipment. Which I learned about here on this forum!
    But he would always respond with a "you've got a plug!" I kept telling him a 120 plug is pretty much useless!

Boy is this a happy day! I live near a supercharger and was forced to charge there when low on range which was a pain in the behind, having to sit there for 40+ minutes every other day was making me have dirty thoughts about trading in the tesla for an ice, I know I'm ashamed I even thought of such a travesty!

I already scheduled the installation by an electrician friend of mine!
    Now I can experience the true joy of an EV! waking up to a fully charged car, never worrying about having to drive to a supercharger to charge!
    Fantastic!

• Like x 30
    • Love x 6
    • Helpful x 1
  2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Congratulations @AMPd! Glad to hear that your home charging solution is finally coming through.

I've always found NEMA 14-50 to be sufficient for most, heck 40A charging is faster than most public L2.

• Like x 1
  3. yo mama

yo mama Member

Congratulations on your hard-fought effort to create a new and wonderful new place to get ICE'd. ;)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  4. Blueeyedme

Blueeyedme Member

Nice! We bought our MS from stock on a bit of a whim. It took a couple of weeks before I could get my electrician in to run the 240v circut so we were constently charging at public L2s which was a pain. You're going to love starting everyday with a full charge.

• Like x 1
  5. DrManhattan

DrManhattan Member

He probably has his own parking spot.

• Like x 1
  6. anxman

anxman Member

Awesome. Having a parking spot with charging is AWESOME. I don't have one yet at my condo but I do at my beach house and it's such an amazing feeling to wake up to a full charge everyday.

• Like x 1
  7. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Congratulations! That is a huge win! More condo and apartment dwellers should fight for this.

BTW, I was once ICEd at a condo by a stolen lawn care truck! Not really ICEd from charging, as the condo had no way to charge, but it was an assigned parking spot.

• Like x 1
  8. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

What changed? Did someone else convince him? Did you find something new to say that changed his mind? Did he just give in to a repeated request with nothing different in the last attempt?

• Like x 1
  9. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

This is why I wish there were tax breaks or economic incentives for condos/apartments to install real EV charge points for all residents (not just telling them "you have a 110 v outlet").

• Like x 1
  10. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

They already exist. Businesses can get 30% back, up to $30,000. Individuals can also get 30%, up to $1000.

I installed NEMA 14-50 outlets last year and got over $500 back when filing my taxes this year. Since @AMPd is having this installed himself, he should look into claiming it next year.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I had the impression it was this:

• Like x 1
  12. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I think it was the repeated nagging but mostly because I showed him the law which allowed me to install the outlet, and he finally gave in!

Yes I have my own parking space! But there's plenty of parking for visitors so I'm not worried about anyone ICE'ing it. Never happened before.

I'll be going to Home Depot tomorrow to purchase the necessary equipment!

13. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Awesome. In 3.5 years of Model S driving and 70,000+ miles, I've never needed more than a NEMA 14-50 in my garage, so you should be set!

• Like x 1
  14. David29

David29 Member

Congratulations! I am looking forward to being able to share your joy once I clear the hurdles to do something similar at my own condo. Just to be clear, though, since you used the word "owner" to refer to the person giving permission -- Are you renting someone else's condo unit? Or are you referring to getting permission from the condo association (I think you call them homeowners associations in CA)?

• Like x 1
  15. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Congrats, this is going to be a challenge for many who live in apartments and condo's.

• Like x 1
  16. Rove

Rove Member

I recently installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet at my parking spot (live in a condo). It took a while to get permission from the condo association. I also had to work with Con Edison (the utility company in NY) to get a new account and a new meter since my existing circuit breaker is in my apartment.

I know have two meters with one dedicated for my parking spot.

I would say overall this took me about 8-10 months.

• Like x 1
  17. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Congrats for prevailing in the end!

I look forward as well to one day waking up to a full charge each morning. Slightly different set of hoops through which to jump with coastal/harbor/quasi-public property, but ONE DAY I have faith that there will be a mix of EV-enabled reserved resident spaces (perhaps even covered/canopied spaces with solar panels? Hey, one can dream.) and of EV-enabled public spaces in this and in other harbors and marinas along the coast.

Why public as well? We adjoin a small, pathetically-neglected public park - but a park it is nonetheless. With cleverly-burrowed homeless bunkers in the rocks that form the interior harbor boundary, even. After all, it's not a park without the neighborhood recycling committee.

This adds a bit to the complexity. For the EV-enabled reserved resident (liveaboard) spaces, they can simply charge a monthly fee of $100 or $150 or whatever it might be. However, there has to be some sort of cost recovery for the public spaces, and that entails metering and charging and probably some sort of partnership with whomever (hopefully not Blink).

• Like x 1
  18. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Good news. Kind of curious, who pay for the electricity? Is it metered?

• Like x 1
  19. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I'm renting it from the person that owns it.
    The homeowners association had no issues with the installation as long as I paid for it which of course I am going to do.
    However the owner was being difficult

• Helpful x 1
  20. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I'll be paying for it, it's going to run from the my unit panel

• Like x 1