Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I WON! Thanks to this forum!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
After nearly a year (11 months) of battling the owner of the condo I live in regarding installing a higher powered plug for the model s, and constantly being told to "go **** myself"... but in a classy way, I was finally able to get him to agree to let me install a nema 14-50!!!
I referred him to the California law that prevents condo owners from not allowing EV owners to install charging equipment. Which I learned about here on this forum!
But he would always respond with a "you've got a plug!" I kept telling him a 120 plug is pretty much useless!

Boy is this a happy day! I live near a supercharger and was forced to charge there when low on range which was a pain in the behind, having to sit there for 40+ minutes every other day was making me have dirty thoughts about trading in the tesla for an ice, I know I'm ashamed I even thought of such a travesty!

I already scheduled the installation by an electrician friend of mine!
Now I can experience the true joy of an EV! waking up to a fully charged car, never worrying about having to drive to a supercharger to charge!
Fantastic!

Congratulations! That is a huge win! More condo and apartment dwellers should fight for this.

BTW, I was once ICEd at a condo by a stolen lawn care truck! Not really ICEd from charging, as the condo had no way to charge, but it was an assigned parking spot.

Reactions: AMPd
After nearly a year (11 months) of battling the owner of the condo I live in regarding installing a higher powered plug for the model s, and constantly being told to "go **** myself"... but in a classy way, I was finally able to get him to agree to let me install a nema 14-50!!!
I referred him to the California law that prevents condo owners from not allowing EV owners to install charging equipment. Which I learned about here on this forum!
But he would always respond with a "you've got a plug!" I kept telling him a 120 plug is pretty much useless!

What changed? Did someone else convince him? Did you find something new to say that changed his mind? Did he just give in to a repeated request with nothing different in the last attempt?

This is why I wish there were tax breaks or economic incentives for condos/apartments to install real EV charge points for all residents (not just telling them "you have a 110 v outlet").
They already exist. Businesses can get 30% back, up to $30,000. Individuals can also get 30%, up to $1000.

I installed NEMA 14-50 outlets last year and got over $500 back when filing my taxes this year. Since @AMPd is having this installed himself, he should look into claiming it next year.

What changed? Did someone else convince him? Did you find something new to say that changed his mind? Did he just give in to a repeated request with nothing different in the last attempt?
I had the impression it was this:
I referred him to the California law that prevents condo owners from not allowing EV owners to install charging equipment.

I think it was the repeated nagging but mostly because I showed him the law which allowed me to install the outlet, and he finally gave in!

Yes I have my own parking space! But there's plenty of parking for visitors so I'm not worried about anyone ICE'ing it. Never happened before.

I'll be going to Home Depot tomorrow to purchase the necessary equipment!

Congratulations! I am looking forward to being able to share your joy once I clear the hurdles to do something similar at my own condo. Just to be clear, though, since you used the word "owner" to refer to the person giving permission -- Are you renting someone else's condo unit? Or are you referring to getting permission from the condo association (I think you call them homeowners associations in CA)?

I recently installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet at my parking spot (live in a condo). It took a while to get permission from the condo association. I also had to work with Con Edison (the utility company in NY) to get a new account and a new meter since my existing circuit breaker is in my apartment.

I know have two meters with one dedicated for my parking spot.

I would say overall this took me about 8-10 months.

Congrats for prevailing in the end!

I look forward as well to one day waking up to a full charge each morning. Slightly different set of hoops through which to jump with coastal/harbor/quasi-public property, but ONE DAY I have faith that there will be a mix of EV-enabled reserved resident spaces (perhaps even covered/canopied spaces with solar panels? Hey, one can dream.) and of EV-enabled public spaces in this and in other harbors and marinas along the coast.

Why public as well? We adjoin a small, pathetically-neglected public park - but a park it is nonetheless. With cleverly-burrowed homeless bunkers in the rocks that form the interior harbor boundary, even. After all, it's not a park without the neighborhood recycling committee.

This adds a bit to the complexity. For the EV-enabled reserved resident (liveaboard) spaces, they can simply charge a monthly fee of $100 or $150 or whatever it might be. However, there has to be some sort of cost recovery for the public spaces, and that entails metering and charging and probably some sort of partnership with whomever (hopefully not Blink).

Congratulations! I am looking forward to being able to share your joy once I clear the hurdles to do something similar at my own condo. Just to be clear, though, since you used the word "owner" to refer to the person giving permission -- Are you renting someone else's condo unit? Or are you referring to getting permission from the condo association (I think you call them homeowners associations in CA)?
I'm renting it from the person that owns it.
The homeowners association had no issues with the installation as long as I paid for it which of course I am going to do.
However the owner was being difficult

• Helpful
Reactions: David29