Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you do not mind, Please post your trade in offer from Tesla so we can compare note

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, good -- hearing it straight from a dealer. :smile:

So are you saying that if someone buys a Tesla from a [non-Tesla] dealership, that the buyer loses nothing in the deal (not counting sales cost) versus had they bought it directly from the previous owner? I'm not being argumentative, but I've read contradictory FUD here in the forums. The written warranty seems vague in that respect so it's confusing. Just looking for the real scoop, thanks.

I think this comes into play with the extended warranty and prepaid service plan. One or both of those can only transfer to the new owner in a private party sale. But this is second hand from reading threads, rather than personal or direct knowledge.

I hope I am not too much out of line for posting in this thread (I won't be offended if Mods fee otherwise and delete this post), but given what you all are seeing for your trade-ins, I just wanted to say I will be willing to pay 10% or more above Tesla's offer for a private party sale. I missed out on some good sales on the forums based on bad timing (I was traveling for work when the good ones came up), but I figured this could be a win-win. I won't mucky the thread up any more - just wanted to share if others come to share their trade in offers and angst at the pricing.

Sent you a PM. I would be willing to take you up on that offer. It's a win-win as I get a little more than the tax benefit for trading in and you get a good price.

Oh, good -- hearing it straight from a dealer. :smile:

So are you saying that if someone buys a Tesla from a [non-Tesla] dealership, that the buyer loses nothing in the deal (not counting sales cost) versus had they bought it directly from the previous owner? I'm not being argumentative, but I've read contradictory FUD here in the forums. The written warranty seems vague in that respect so it's confusing. Just looking for the real scoop, thanks.
Yes.

$52,750 for my Jan 2013 S85 with Pano, Air, Tech, 23800 miles. Even with the additional allowance for unused service plans, I'll do better private party I think. Anyone want to make an offer? :cool:

My March 2013 S85 sounds to be similarly equipped, also with unused service plan visits, but I have about twice your mileage. I was hoping that mileage wouldn't affect an EV as much as an ICE, but the opposite may be true with uncertainty about the battery's longevity. I had hoped to keep mine for around 3 years, but if they're depreciating this fast I'll either have to hang on longer or look at something else a bit less expensive. A new S85, similarly equipped to mine, is already quite a bit more $$ than what I originally paid.

$52,750 for my Jan 2013 S85 with Pano, Air, Tech, 23800 miles. Even with the additional allowance for unused service plans, I'll do better private party I think. Anyone want to make an offer? :cool:
Yes, since those prices are even getting down into my frugal price range, you should be able to do better with a private party. If it were my color, I'd have a hard time resisting! Since I have a 2011 Leaf for all my in-town driving, I'm willing to wait until next year to pull the trigger. At that point, the WA State sales tax exemption will be eliminated, and I'll be forced to pay $10K more for new or go with used. Decisions.

Has anyone gotten a trade-in quote from Autonation or Carmax recently? Was it reasonable, which usually means, lower limit of what you are comfortable with :)? I realize there is another thread on those stores, but it is a bit outdated.

Also, regarding trading in to a local dealership, is there any strategy to picking which one? TIA.

My uncle is trading his green 2012 s85 air, sound, dual chargers, nav, 48,000 miles, no leather, no pano, for an s70d.

New battery last spring.

They road trip 4000 miles from Florida up the east coast, then west to Jackson Wy every spring and reverse that in fall, so autopilot is HUGE. They love the car but a service loaner with autopilot features, combined with the 70 rollout triggered them to action.

I think they're getting a little over 50. With these features and the new battery shouldn't this be over60?

My March 2013 S85 sounds to be similarly equipped, also with unused service plan visits, but I have about twice your mileage. I was hoping that mileage wouldn't affect an EV as much as an ICE, but the opposite may be true with uncertainty about the battery's longevity.

Actually, informed buyers (like me) will not be concerned with the battery or motors due to distance travelled, as the Tesla coverage is unlimited distance. I've driven my Smart ED for 1.5 years and have seen no degradation of battery or performance, and it seems like the Model S is similar.

Rather, my hesitation is when a car is close to running out of the 50,000 mile warranty for everything else, including some of the complex items like the computers and accessories (roof, suspension, etc).

Given my conversations with owners who have 2012/2013 cars coming off lease in 2016 with buy outs of $50K CDN ($40K USD), I consider that a reasonable target price next year.

The new 70D at $80K CDN (including Ontario rebate) with a few options is very compelling to me.

My personal opinion is that Canadian owners of early S85's attempting to sell in the $70K's (or higher if you look at autotrader lol) right now are priced too high relative to what I can buy new.

I'm patiently waiting for the Model X to be available for a few months to see what happens to used values. The P85D shook out a few P85 cars to the used market. Wondering what the X will do, perhaps shake loose good numbers of S85 owners who got an S waiting for their X.

- - - Updated - - -

green 2012 s85 air, sound, dual chargers, nav, 48,000 miles, no leather, no pano
... they're getting a little over 50. With these features and the new battery shouldn't this be over60?

New Tesla 70D in California goes for $71K (rebates included) similarly equipped.
Used and near end of 50,000 mile comprehensive warranty with that many miles is worth at least $20K less, so getting 50 was spot on IMHO.

And before someone corrects me, yes, I am aware a 70D has slightly less range, but having AWD and much better tech included (blind spot, etc) is very compelling.

Given my conversations with owners who have 2012/2013 cars coming off lease in 2016 with buy outs of $50K CDN ($40K USD), I consider that a reasonable target price next year.

Are you sure that "40k" isn't the buy-back guarantee? That's different than the way a typical lease works, as an amount Tesla buys the car for, from those who financed. True leases started later, even though GAAP accounting had Tesla record these buy-back cars as "leases".

It was a shrewd move, since it is looking unlikely the market of a 3y/o (39 month?) S85 will fall this far. Tesla could be turning a profit on those who put a premium on convenience. They already have people believing 70kwh are better than 85kwh :smile:.

90% trade-in offer from Tesla on my "40" with 8,300 miles. (Paid $54,000 after Fed tax credit, $49,000 Tesla offer) I suspect that their offer is based on the fact that my "40" will become a "60" with the range restriction turned-off. If sold to a private party, they would have to spend an additional $10,000 to get the full use of the 60 kWh battery in my car!

Pick-up new 70D in Seattle on Saturday - ordered on 22 April 2015.

90% trade-in offer from Tesla on my "40" with 8,300 miles. (Paid $54,000 after Fed tax credit, $49,000 Tesla offer) I suspect that their offer is based on the fact that my "40" will become a "60" with the range restriction turned-off. If sold to a private party, they would have to spend an additional $10,000 to get the full use of the 60 kWh battery in my car!

That's a great deal!!!! No brainer. How long have you had the 40kwh?

My uncle is trading his green 2012 s85 air, sound, dual chargers, nav, 48,000 miles, no leather, no pano, for an s70d.

New battery last spring.

They road trip 4000 miles from Florida up the east coast, then west to Jackson Wy every spring and reverse that in fall, so autopilot is HUGE. They love the car but a service loaner with autopilot features, combined with the 70 rollout triggered them to action.

I think they're getting a little over 50. With these features and the new battery shouldn't this be over60?

Still not seeing s85's selling for under 60 on eBay (clean titles), so the 50 offer was a pretty low ball.

Tesla made turning the car in into a big rush. Then they took 3 weeks to send appraiser, leaving my aunt and uncle twisting. Then within days of their departure, Tesla finally sent an appraiser who spent less than 15 minutes with the car. Tesla changed offer from 50 to 42, throwing potential monkey wrench into their migration North.

Uncle took the car to Carmax and got $50 cash. Of course jammed on $3k sales tax. He was tempted to cancel his order.

Major process sequence failure. Seems Tesla is using typical abusive slimeball used car sales tactics instead of carving a new Tesla Signature sales experience path to the trade in process. They're burning a lot of hard built goodwill in the process. Probably hired some industry cheeseballs to manage this side rather then designing a new path from scratch.

Seems really dumb. Hope they rethink process sequence.

Last edited:

That's an awesome deal. Congrats.