Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<raising hand> I actually read the PDF version from start to end about 2 months before delivery (order to delivery took ~2 months) and glanced at many sections of it many months prior to the order date. You mean everyone doesn't do this? heh
I'll admit that I did the same in 2016. While I was waiting for delivery, I read over the entire manual. I don't think I've touched it since then.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
There is a 'Max. Charge Power' in Tesla Diagnostic Tool.
maxchp.png

This pic is from Bjorn's video of 24 Aug last year.

Still not perfectly upfront, they need to put it on the supercharging page also. Who reads a complete manual before buying a car?!

My point was that this (weakness) is something a potential buyer need to know upfront. For an owner it is too late.

What will anyone really do with this knowledge? Not buy the car? Not use the superchargers when traveling?

It seems It's only really relevant to people who might have the opportunity to use a Chaedmo regularly or abuse the superchargers locally.

Last edited:
What will anyone really do with this knowledge? Not buy the car? Not use the superchargers when traveling?

It seems It's only really relevant to people who might have the opportunity to use a Chaedmo regularly or abuse the superchargers locally.

Or not DC charge as much if an alternative is available.

In my case, I started ChaDeMo charging every other day at work since they installed a dual-plug DC charger, but after reading this thread, I reverted to AC charging for the most part and leaving ChaDeMo for emergencies.

So thank you to everyone who participated to make this thread informational! My girlfriend isn’t as lucky and her P90D is now limited to ~90kW at the superchargers..

Right. So as I said, "relevant to people who have the opportunity to use Chademo regularly."

@daktari said a potential buyer needs to know this information and that for a current owner it is too late.

Actually it is just the opposite. I doubt anyone is going to choose not to buy the car because of this. But once they own it, if they aren't driven to tears by the unsightly Chademo adaptor, this will help an existing owner make a better charging choice.

My point was that this (weakness) is something a potential buyer need to know upfront. For an owner it is too late.

Or not DC charge as much if an alternative is available.

In my case, I started ChaDeMo charging every other day at work since they installed a dual-plug DC charger, but after reading this thread, I reverted to AC charging for the most part and leaving ChaDeMo for emergencies.

So thank you to everyone who participated to make this thread informational! My girlfriend isn’t as lucky and her P90D is now limited to ~90kW at the superchargers..

One of the first owners reporting this was a danish owner, needing to supercharge on his commute to get back home safely. I believe this information would be interesting and would influence a decision to buy or not, especially with the S and X prices. For some altruistic or mega rich buyers not, for others yes it is important. Marketing should be upfront with such issues.

That an engine has a bigger chance of failure if not serviced is well known after ~100 years of consumer use, but best practice for huge batteries and supercharging is not yet widespread. One just should not market supercharging as a big benefit if it in facts destroys your battery - or that to conserve your battery, really fast supercharging is only available a limited number of times. I think this is about the setting the expectations for owners correct from the start instead of putting out marketing bait.

But, I'm not sure if this information is relevant for new purchases if it doesn't affect the 100 and 75 batteries. Has anyone confirmed if it applies to new cars?

I'm disappointed since I have a P90D which will soon be limited, but I won't plan on keeping it after the lease is up. It would be good to know if the P100D is not affected.

I doubt anyone is going to choose not to buy the car because of this.

First post in this thread:

I simply would not have purchased this car if I was informed that it would lose the ability to charge the battery over time, especially such a short time frame (1 year / 30k miles).

You got me. I should have been more precise and said "I doubt that any rational actor would not buy the car because frequent DC charging would limit top charging speed by a few percent." A throttled Tesla is still faster than anything else . . . except future planned Tesla killers by Porsche and the like.

First post in this thread:

I simply would not have purchased this car if I was informed that it would lose the ability to charge the battery over time, especially such a short time frame (1 year / 30k miles).

Already, this adds a significant amount of time to my road trips by restricting my charging from a previous high of 117 kw to ~90 kw on a good day.

Oh the humanity. from 117 to 90kw -- for the short period before taper kicks in anyway. Only material for the occasional road trip requiring more than one SC stop.

It simply isn't a buying level decision disclosure item. I would never even notice. And certainly not care when deciding to purchase the car.

Especially when smart buyers understand that they are buying on the bleeding edge and things change and the BMS system, and many other systems are being dialed in and tweaked.

Last edited:
I had dinner at work today, I was bragging about supercharging and range when a colleague asked what effect supercharging had on the battery...

I had breakfast at work today and was bragging about my Tesla and a colleague said he was going to buy a tesla until he heard that after you DC charge a lot it DC charges a little slower. Now he is going to buy something else. I told him he is stupid.

I had breakfast at work today and was bragging about my Tesla and a colleague said he was going to buy a tesla until he heard that after you DC charge a lot it DC charges a little slower. Now he is going to buy something else. I told him he is stupid.

So, he's going to buy something else that will always fast charge slower? :)

Also, it sounds like this doesn't affect the new cars, so he can just not buy a used 90 and avoid the whole problem...

My p90d is throttled to 95 kw also, after three long distance trips over two years. Makes it hugely inconvenient to take this long distance now. I need to check my battery pack version.
Update: I supercharged the p90d for the first time in about 6 months and actually hit 105 kw for a few minutes before it started to taper. Temp was in the 60s and I had low soc when I started to charge- about 48 miles. Started about 95 kw, then went up to 105, then started to taper. Still a big difference from New when it would regularly hit 115 kw peak.

• Informative
Reactions: selfbp