Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is throttled after one roundtrip from Chicago to Colorado and one from Chicago to Michigan. I charge at home, otherwise. Seems that basically if you supercharge more than a couple of times with the 90, you get hit. Hucksterism at its finest, Tesla.

I drove from Dallas to Philadelphia and back in summer 2017 supercharging the whole way. We have a 90D since December 2016 and we're still not limited. We have >21,000 miles.

Mine is throttled after one roundtrip from Chicago to Colorado and one from Chicago to Michigan. I charge at home, otherwise. Seems that basically if you supercharge more than a couple of times with the 90, you get hit. Hucksterism at its finest, Tesla.

That is nuts. I've got a 75, which is the same as the 90 but with 2 fewer modules (dummy modules are used which actually increase safety but limit range).

I've taken 8 road trips since Dec 2016. 6 to upstate NY (in-laws), 1 to downstate IL (eclipse) and 1 to MI (relatives...ugh).

I'll be taking the return leg of the upstate NY to CHI trip tomorrow. I got 90+kw at each SC stop. I stop to SC 3-4 times on the CHI to NY journey (3 in summer).

My pack is a 350VDC pack and is limited to 105kw peak (but that's uber rare, 98kw is the best I've seen). I still get that 98kw. I've got 26.5k miles.

I've also lost my garage recently to some rehab at my house and I was supercharging as my home charging surrogate for 2 weeks (5 times) and got plenty of charge.

What's the most you've gotten? Do you try other stalls? Do you pay attention to whether someone is at the paired stall to yours (non-urban SC (the ones fixed at 72kw), split 135kw between 2 paired stalls)?

If you're the only one charging and you are still not getting 100kw+ (assuming your SoC allows for max charging (so between 20% and 50%)), you should try another stall. If you can never get it, you might be limited.

Limited Supercharging would be a great detriment to any Tesla owner because otherwise you've got a better looking, fancier Bolt.

Wow, my 2015 70D (July '15) still peaks out at 115kW on Superchargers.

As was speculated when the new 90 packs came out, the new carbon-infused anode (? or cathode) was sort of an experiment, and reports indicated these batteries were not as robust as Tesla (and owners!) expected.

I would recommend staying away from the 90 battery if a friend were looking at a CPO.

Reactions: PLUS EV
I would recommend staying away from the 90 battery if a friend were looking at a CPO.

That might be a little harsh. If you don't supercharge much, the 90 is as solid as any other battery out there. Honestly the time difference isn't that much for supercharging either.

If you only supercharge, (or CHAdeMO), then the 90 series wouldn't be my first choice.

That might be a little harsh. If you don't supercharge much, the 90 is as solid as any other battery out there. Honestly the time difference isn't that much for supercharging either.

If you only supercharge, (or CHAdeMO), then the 90 series wouldn't be my first choice.

Well, there are other problems with the 90 kWh packs. Steeper degradation curves and permanent brick level imbalances, for example.

The actual curves from the Better Routeplanner data show the 90 pack with more area under the curve than the 85s. I do not care about the peak as much as the total charge rate, which still seems equal or better than the 85 pack. The curves were linked in this thread a while back, go take a look at them.

Reactions: David99
The actual curves from the Better Routeplanner data show the 90 pack with more area under the curve than the 85s. I do not care about the peak as much as the total charge rate, which still seems equal or better than the 85 pack. The curves were linked in this thread a while back, go take a look at them.

I agree. That's exactly what I said. The 85 does not get throttled after a certain amount of DC charging. It will just get slower and slower at the Supercharger over time. After 4 years mine is 25% slower than it was when new. The throttled 90 pack still charged faster than mine. Everyone looks at the peak rate but it almost meaningless. My car always starts at 114-116 kW (when below 10%) but tapers down faster and sooner. The capped peak rate of the 90 pack takes a few kW off the top but it sustains a much higher rate over longer than my car so it still charges faster in the end.

Looking at the peak rate tells you nothing about the actual charge speed, and it's easy to draw false conclusions from it.

That is inaccurate for my old Sig X P90D. I had 35K miles on it or so and did many roadtrips from IL - to MT twice, To NC 2+ times, To KY 3+ times. I was not throttled as far as I could tell.

I've used superchargers about 20 times over 36,000 miles with my MS P90DL and I still peak at 112kW and stay over 100kW until 50% SoC

Attachments

• supercharge36K.PNG
    supercharge36K.PNG
    42.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Informative
Reactions: vrykolas and Canuck
Over 4 years too with an 85. I've noticed a slowing but 25% seems too high -- but I've never done the math since I never kept stats. It just seems we were slowed down last year. I also find I have to change superchargers to get a better rate and I never had that issue in the first 3 or so years.

It is happening gradually so it's hard to notice. The initial peac charge rate doesn't change so, you plug in, see the high number and think everything is fine. Almost on one was keeping exact track of how fast the car was charging back then. I found some old data and spent some time finding data from other cars as well so I was able to eliminate the noise. The longer charge time comes two fold. One is just the faster/earlier tapering. The other part is the degradation of the battery. When it was new you had to charge to say 80% to get 200 miles, Now you have to charge to 88% to get 200 miles of range. So now you are charging longer at a higher state of charge which is slow. Both aspects combined add up to about 25% longer charge time.

Age of the car is only one aspect, My car has 155k miles. Yours probably has less miles so the effect will be less on yours than mine.

It is happening gradually so it's hard to notice. The initial peac charge rate doesn't change so, you plug in, see the high number and think everything is fine. Almost on one was keeping exact track of how fast the car was charging back then. I found some old data and spent some time finding data from other cars as well so I was able to eliminate the noise. The longer charge time comes two fold. One is just the faster/earlier tapering. The other part is the degradation of the battery. When it was new you had to charge to say 80% to get 200 miles, Now you have to charge to 88% to get 200 miles of range. So now you are charging longer at a higher state of charge which is slow. Both aspects combined add up to about 25% longer charge time.

Age of the car is only one aspect, My car has 155k miles. Yours probably has less miles so the effect will be less on yours than mine.

I suspect most of that, in your case, is the degradation as you mention. Looking at your most recent taper curves, I actually believe it charges very similar to mine with only about 50 K on the battery odo. I don’t think that the taper curve is related to battery age, rather Tesla changed it in some firmware.

Yours 25% slower Supercharging due to degradation

Compared to mine More aggressive (sooner) supercharge taper on latest firmware?

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
I suspect most of that, in your case, is the degradation as you mention. Looking at your most recent taper curves, I actually believe it charges very similar to mine with only about 50 K on the battery odo. I don’t think that the taper curve is related to battery age, rather Tesla changed it in some firmware.

There are some videos on YT showing a higher rate at the same %. Yes some of it is due to degradion, but it doesn't explain the entire amount. I've also tested an 85 that was 4 years old but only had 30k miles. It charged faster. And of course it is controlled by firmware.