Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I won't bother to guess if temperature is the culprit for anyone here, I will say temperature can make a big difference. If you have a very cold battery, supercharging can start at very low speeds, maybe as low as 10 kW. There was one cold morning where I wasn't able to plug in overnight and I went to the supercharger the next morning. I don't remember what the exact charge rate was, but it started at under 20 kW. It then slowly increased over time.
It's only happened once because I'm trainable, but I vaguely recall about 1kW for a very long time.

• Funny
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Hi Everyone -

The peak charging rate possible in a lithium-ion cell will slightly decline after a very large number of high-rate charging sessions. This is due to physical and chemical changes inside of the cells.

Our fast-charge control technology is designed to keep the battery safe and to preserve the maximum amount of cell capacity (range capability) in all conditions. To maintain safety and retain maximum range, we need to slow down the charge rate when the cells are too cold, when the state of charge is nearly full, and also when the conditions of the cell change gradually with age and usage.

This change due to age and usage may increase total Supercharge time by about 5 minutes and less than 1% of our customers experience this.

Tesla is not slowing down charge rates to discourage frequent Supercharging – quite the opposite. We encourage our customers to use the Supercharger network at their discretion and we committed to doubling the number of worldwide chargers just this year.n,
We also want to ensure that our customers have the best experience at those Superchargers and preserve as much vehicle range as possible even after frequent usage.

Thanks,

Jon
Jon, thanks for the info. There is a lot of chatter about CHadeMo. Does it cause more battery degradation?

Jon, thanks for the info. There is a lot of chatter about CHadeMo. Does it cause more battery degradation?

Current CHADeMO chargers are all slower than Superchargers so they are less damaging. But as we have learned here, Tesla still considers it a DC fast charge which counts and will trigger the reduced charge rate if it adds up to a certain number.

In simple terms, the faster you charge a battery, the more damaging it is. Other factors obviously also count, but charge rate is a big factor. Home AC charging is 9-20 kW, CHADeMO is 45 kW peak and 35 average, Supercharging is 120 kW peak and aprox 60-70 kW average.

Regardless of the plug type, the car will always govern the charge rate and make it safe for the battery. Charging at a Supercharger isn't any better because it is a Tesla charger over a CHADeMO which is from a different manufacturer. What counts in the end is the charge rate.

From pics in PlugShare, it looks like Woodbridge is in the 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B layout ... so a location in the middle by @talhas3 (either 3A or 4A) means sharing with someone on 4B but it depends which 'middle' stall was being used and if the other end person was at the absolute end (4B) or 1 shy of the end (3B).

View attachment 352816

View attachment 352814
I believe this is a picture of the Woodbridge, Virginia supercharger.
talhas3 says he was at the Woodbridge, New Jersey supercharger.

I believe this is a picture of the Woodbridge, Virginia supercharger.
talhas3 says he was at the Woodbridge, New Jersey supercharger.

Yes I was at the Woodbridge NJ supercharger.

I will look the next time if they are 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A and so on... from what I remember they are 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B and so on.

Ahh, thanks for correcting me, @st50maint, and sorry about the wrong location, @talhas3. Yes, Woodbridge, NJ is 1A/1B, 2A/2B, etc. Here is the NJ version of Woodbridge.

Woodbridge_NJ_overview.jpg

Woodbridge_NJ_zoom.jpg

Reactions: st50maint
Mostly because I'm too lazy to read the thread to see if there's a less ambiguous answer...is there a frequency or total count or some other obvious (or implied) metric that quantifies "too much supercharging"?
I believe they determined it was a count way back in the beginning of the thread but I can't remember if they decided the number was 250 times (or what). Also, if you see the data available concerning charging and the battery, you can see it tracks the number of times you've charged, supercharged, etc.