Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obligatory XKCD.
:cool:
purity.png

• Funny
Reactions: Ormond
I thought the trip planner would adapt to an individual style of driving, but it’s still not accurate enough for me to trust it.. so I always charge till it says at least 20% remaining at next destination.
From what I've seen, trip planner uses speed limits and hills. It doesn't use past driving behaviour, nor does it take into account weather.

Reactions: David99
Leaving it at 100% is what does the most damage.
It's now warmer weather here in NorCal, and my 100% is up from 241 a few months back to 245-246 miles now (was 257 miles when delivered new at Fremont factory in summer 2016). That's after 62000 miles, lots of supercharging, a few dozen times charging to 100%, and at least 2-3 times charging to 100% and forgetting all about it while leaving the car in the garage for a day. I still get ~96-104% of rated range doing low-mid 70 mph driving speeds, no range mode, and about half of it with the climate control at 72-74.

I was at the Woodbridge NJ supercharger an hour ago. When it opened, I remember that I used to charge at 98kwh and 330mi/hr.

Now with battery very low, I got 210mi/hr. Started at one stall. Was lower than what I’ve gotten before so moved to next stall over.

Is that happening to everyone? I charge at superchargers about once a week because I don’t have a charger solution at my house. I’ve had the car for a year. I’m noticing the slower charging just started happening maybe like 2 weeks back so it’s very recent.

Attachments

• 1BA54624-D6AC-4CE2-9F33-70E3C8D5AEA4.jpeg
    1BA54624-D6AC-4CE2-9F33-70E3C8D5AEA4.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 56868F56-5871-4D09-B0DE-B13988CB8A95.jpeg
    56868F56-5871-4D09-B0DE-B13988CB8A95.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 58
  • 524C895B-8703-44B6-8455-209315AAD808.jpeg
    524C895B-8703-44B6-8455-209315AAD808.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 59
I was at the Woodbridge NJ supercharger an hour ago. When it opened, I remember that I used to charge at 98kwh and 330mi/hr.

Now with battery very low, I got 210mi/hr. Started at one stall. Was lower than what I’ve gotten before so moved to next stall over.

Is that happening to everyone? I charge at superchargers about once a week because I don’t have a charger solution at my house. I’ve had the car for a year. I’m noticing the slower charging just started happening maybe like 2 weeks back so it’s very recent.
Cold battery. Notice how the KW increased as the battery got more full. That’s backwards, so likely your battery was cold on arrival, then warmed as you charged.

Yes but it didn’t get to what it used to charge at. That’s what’s troubling me.

And this was after driving the car for half an hour. Decided to stop by the charger before I got home. When I got there I think I had prolly like 25 miles left.

I will keep testing it. Maybe it is just the cold battery as the culprit.

Shared stall?

While I won't bother to guess if temperature is the culprit for anyone here, I will say temperature can make a big difference. If you have a very cold battery, supercharging can start at very low speeds, maybe as low as 10 kW. There was one cold morning where I wasn't able to plug in overnight and I went to the supercharger the next morning. I don't remember what the exact charge rate was, but it started at under 20 kW. It then slowly increased over time.

There were 2 other cars charging. At 2 ends and I was in the middle of 8 stalls so wasn’t sharing with anyone.

That’s why I started off at one stall and then moved to another thinking there’s something not right with the actual stall
Thats not how you determine if you’re sharing a stall. You have to look at the number. Stall 1A pairs with 1B, 2A pairs with 2B, etc. At some sites they’re side by side but at others the paired stall is halfway down the line.

There were 2 other cars charging. At 2 ends and I was in the middle of 8 stalls so wasn’t sharing with anyone.

That’s why I started off at one stall and then moved to another thinking there’s something not right with the actual stall
I forget how Woodbridge is laid out, but some sites are 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc.... and others are 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 1B, 2B.... etc...

So that means being "in the middle" may not have guaranteed you weren't sharing, unless you specifically looked at the stall number.

That having been said, the fat you tried a different stall probably meant you had a good chance of being on a non-paired charger.

(Edit: Yeah, what @TexasEV said while I was typing )

I forget how Woodbridge is laid out, but some sites are 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc.... and others are 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 1B, 2B.... etc...

So that means being "in the middle" may not have guaranteed you weren't sharing, unless you specifically looked at the stall number.

That having been said, the fact you tried a different stall probably meant you had a good chance of being on a non-paired charger.

(Edit: Yeah, what @TexasEV said while I was typing )

From pics in PlugShare, it looks like Woodbridge is in the 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B layout ... so a location in the middle by @talhas3 (either 3A or 4A) means sharing with someone on 4B but it depends which 'middle' stall was being used and if the other end person was at the absolute end (4B) or 1 shy of the end (3B).

Woodbridge_overview.jpg

Woodbridge_detail.jpg

Last edited: