Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It turns out that having a 90D does not automatically mean problems. It was in the mid 70s in the sun, and I had good rates throughout this charge. This was ten minutes in, but the taper matched what I would expect: 110kW at 32%, 86kW at 62%, stopped at 68kW and 70%.

I said it before in this thread, a 90 battery pack that is peak limited is still charging significantly faster than my old 85. If anyone is unhappy with their 90 pack and wants to swap with me, hit me up! :)

Reactions: bhzmark
It may well be that the last few miles charge at a glacial pace; regardless, my overall experience with superchargers has been spotty at best.

In North Carolina last week I had to keep moving from slot to slot and getting ridiculous rates on ALL of the chargers
(the place was empty BTW). Not sure what their rationale is for limiting kW, they don’t seem to have a consistent or coherent system, it’s more of a crapshoot IMO. I’ve seen others hopping around in other places
and then simply leave.

I hope I never have issues with permanent charge limits on my MODEL X. I’d hate to have to sue Tesla for false advertising and a bunch of other things they may inflict against unsuspecting customers in their inept business model.

You were correct.

He just disagreed with my post about his need for a /sarc flag and your post. But not the post about being serious, so I guess he needs a clue.

@andyroyale, stop supercharging when your battery's above 80% charge. You won't get the speed that you're expecting, and if there's a line of tesla's waiting, you're wasting everyone else's time. The concept is called "charge tapering".

Reactions: CSFTN and kavyboy
stop supercharging when your battery's above 80% charge. You won't get the speed that you're expecting, and if there's a line of tesla's waiting, you're wasting everyone else's time. The concept is called "charge tapering".
That works unless there is 200+ miles to the next SC and you're expecting a headwind and rain. There are many places like that outside of California.

He just disagreed with my post about his need for a /sarc flag and your post. But not the post about being serious, so I guess he needs a clue.

@andyroyale, stop supercharging when your battery's above 80% charge. You won't get the speed that you're expecting, and if there's a line of tesla's waiting, you're wasting everyone else's time. The concept is called "charge tapering".

First of all I haven’t seen a change in speed after 80%. It happens at different percentages. And where, pray tell, was there any mention whatsoever in my comment of “lines” in charging stations??? Pretty asinine comment for someone who seems to have such superior view of their own “intelligence.” I haven’t seen any lines because stupid Tesla can’t churn out more than a couple cars a day...

In case your haven’t understood yet, my last comment referred to inconsistent charge speeds that ANY Tesla owner who isn’t falling head over heels over kooky Musk no doubt has already noticed.

Last edited:
In case your haven’t understood yet, my last comment referred to inconsistent charge speeds that ANY Tesla owner who isn’t falling head over heels over kooky Musk no doubt has already noticed.

I feel as though Tesla might not be the car brand for you. The vehicle and company has not met your standards. Perhaps you should cut your losses and buy something more reliable with a company that will "have your back"?

I had ten SC stops over the last week. The only one that was longer than 15 minutes was the one where I needed to be sure I got over 200 miles despite the rain. I don't see where there is an issue--at least not with the B battery. The way the algorithm works in my car is that it starts tapering right away, but it starts at over 110 kW at 20-30% remaining when I start to charge. Now when I leave, the trip planner will show that 13-15% will be remaining at the next stop, but that typically goes up to 20-30% as I drive. The trip planner appears to be fairly conservative in its estimates.

Now when I leave, the trip planner will show that 13-15% will be remaining at the next stop, but that typically goes up to 20-30% as I drive. The trip planner appears to be fairly conservative in its estimates.

Interesting, I have the opposite experience. I typically have to wait until trip planner says I will have at least 20% left at my destination, but I rarely make it there with over 10% - must be the way I drive...

• Informative
Reactions: Naonak
That works unless there is 200+ miles to the next SC and you're expecting a headwind and rain. There are many places like that outside of California.
Or you have a battery with ~186 RM total capacity and want to do a 150 mile trip leg at freeway speeds, some of it in rain. Just finished such a trip leg after Supercharging to 96% -- no problems making it at 76 mph, a bit under the 80 mph speed limit. (I think the new Nav system is more accurate in projecting energy use than the old one.)

Reactions: jerry33
First of all I haven’t seen a change in speed after 80%. It happens at different percentages. And where, pray tell, was there any mention whatsoever in my comment of “lines” in charging stations??? Pretty asinine comment for someone who seems to have such superior view of their own “intelligence.” I haven’t seen any lines because stupid Tesla can’t churn out more than a couple cars a day...

The very characteristic of a charge taper.

The lines in a charging station are for a future when more tesla's are plying the roads in your neck of the woods.

As for the ad hominem's (your post history is quite colorful), I don't care to read it so off to the squelch box. :)

Reactions: WarpedOne
Interesting, I have the opposite experience. I typically have to wait until trip planner says I will have at least 20% left at my destination, but I rarely make it there with over 10% - must be the way I drive...
Yes, YMMV. This is from home to Bristow, OK. It's from a couple of years ago, but it's fairly typical.
trip_graph_oct_2016.jpg