Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is off-topic but I am not sure. I am having a problem with supercharging that I am hoping some of you might be able to enlighten me on.

I have a new long range model S. First super charge seemed fine. Cold day. Peak charge rate was 143 kW. But next super charge on a much warmer day was a problem. Peak rate was close to 140, but then it quickly decayed to about 60 kW. This happened a second time, and then I noticed I did not hear any fan noise. So I took it in for a service check, and they claimed that everything checked out OK and that the fan was working, although it was very quiet.

Well, on a hot night here three nights ago I tried again. Now it peaked at 117, and again quickly decayed to 60. No fan. But wait! Then I noticed charge rate was climbing, and I heard fan noise! Rate climbed back to 80 and then slowly decayed as I would have expected for the charge level of the battery.

Questions:
1- has anybody experienced fan start delay?
2- the fan is very quiet, compared to my prior Model S. Is this normal for long-range Model S.
3- is the charge-rate decay caused by control sensing overheat, or just battery physics when battery is hot?
4- has battery potentially been damaged?
5- What did I forget to provide or ask?

Earliest available service appointment is set for 10 days from now...
A7D66942-8DB6-4F22-804A-823D74E252E7.jpeg
50C7C64C-E405-4A3A-B749-287D8C5202CA.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry if this is off-topic but I am not sure. I am having a problem with supercharging that I am hoping some of you might be able to enlighten me on.

I have a new long range model S. First super charge seemed fine. Cold day. Peak charge rate was 143 kW. But next super charge on a much warmer day was a problem. Peak rate was close to 140, but then it quickly decayed to about 60 kW. This happened a second time, and then I noticed I did not hear any fan noise. So I took it in for a service check, and they claimed that everything checked out OK and that the fan was working, although it was very quiet.

Well, on a hot night here three nights ago I tried again. Now it peaked at 117, and again quickly decayed to 60. No fan. But wait! Then I noticed charge rate was climbing, and I heard fan noise! Rate climbed back to 80 and then slowly decayed as I would have expected for the charge level of the battery.

Questions:
1- has anybody experienced fan start delay?
2- the fan is very quiet, compared to my prior Model S. Is this normal for long-range Model S.
3- is the charge-rate decay caused by control sensing overheat, or just battery physics when battery is hot?
4- has battery potentially been damaged?
5- What did I forget to provide or ask?

Earliest available service appointment is set for 10 days from now...
View attachment 576234 View attachment 576235
You should consider starting a new thread. It will get more exposure.

Reactions: maximizese
Has anyone created a digest of this thread from which we can learn what is currently known about this?
If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

I've read the whole thread from the start. That's my quick summary. At this point most of the discussion left seems to be people in the first group trying to troubleshoot, and people in the second group trying to figure out where the line is and what the consequences are.

Edit: also unless I've missed someone, so far people who have absolutely confirmed being in the second group in this thread have all been those who do something like 20k+ miles of SCing, so if you're the sort of person who does a road trip a year this is not likely to be a concern for many years. The bigger concern is probably some future sort of restriction like what happened to the 85 owners last June, when there was suddenly a rate cut.

Last edited:
Went to SC in Brandon, FL with 90 miles of range left on my 2020 X. I could only get 14kw of charge. My garage is 48kw. Is this SC broken?
Your garage is 48 amps, not 48 kW. 48 amps @ 240 volts = 11.5 kW
I've seen people in this forum pay very little attention to the units on the screen and guess or mix them up all the time. They mix up the charging numbers of miles per hour, or kilowatts, or amps frequently. So my take is that the Supercharger was probably at 14 kW, and the wall connector at 48 amps.

Reactions: aerodyne
What does that mean for your max kw? How much DC charging have you done to reach this level?
Received official confirmation for my model x 75d

Per your request, our remote diagnostics team looked into this further and found:

Autodiagnostic has detected that the peak fast charge current is affected by accumulated wear from DC charging (Supercharging), the current max DC charge current in ideal condition is 244.0 Amps. The limit was 470.0 Amps when the HV battery was new and the limit will go as low as 244.0 Amps when the limit will reach its lowest level. The vehicle has been affected by the amount of Supercharging this vehicle has had.

We recommend incorporating a slower rate of charge whenever possible to prevent further Supercharging rate loss.

As the vehicle ages, the HV battery pack and cells also age and accumulate some expected fatigue through repeated charge/drive cycles. Wear over time makes the battery cells unable to accept as much fast-charging power as they once did.
Received official confirmation for my model x 75d

Per your request, our remote diagnostics team looked into this further and found:

Autodiagnostic has detected that the peak fast charge current is affected by accumulated wear from DC charging (Supercharging), the current max DC charge current in ideal condition is 244.0 Amps. The limit was 470.0 Amps when the HV battery was new and the limit will go as low as 244.0 Amps when the limit will reach its lowest level. The vehicle has been affected by the amount of Supercharging this vehicle has had.

We recommend incorporating a slower rate of charge whenever possible to prevent further Supercharging rate loss.

As the vehicle ages, the HV battery pack and cells also age and accumulate some expected fatigue through repeated charge/drive cycles. Wear over time makes the battery cells unable to accept as much fast-charging power as they once did.
Were you told about the possible negative effects on your battery pack by using Superchargers? Were you given anything in writing that using Superchargers would result in damage? In the 5 years I have owned my S I have never seen anything in writing that Supercharging could pose problems nor have I ever gotten consistent responses from numerous Tesla techs as clear as the note you received. It strikes me as Tesla trying to dissuade you from doing anything about it.

Reactions: raphy3
Were you told about the possible negative effects on your battery pack by using Superchargers? Were you given anything in writing that using Superchargers would result in damage? In the 5 years I have owned my S I have never seen anything in writing that Supercharging could pose problems nor have I ever gotten consistent responses from numerous Tesla techs as clear as the note you received. It strikes me as Tesla trying to dissuade you from doing anything about it.

Nope, wasn't told anything. In fact, we asked our sales advisor if there was any downsides to supercharging, and she never told us any

Nope, wasn't told anything. In fact, we asked our sales advisor if there was any downsides to supercharging, and she never told us any

Similarly, I asked my sales person if there would be any problem with using my nearby service center's superchargers when I first got my 70D in 2015, and was told no. But the context was different. At that time, Tesla had only just shortly before that begun to notify some users in CA that they could be restricted because they were using Superchargers close to where they live, back when the philosophy was that Superchargers were meant for long-distance charging and not for routine fill-ups. In those days, only Model S cars were being sold, all came with free supercharging, and there had been incidents at some CA superchargers where some users got angry when they realized they were having to wait because other "local" people had tied up the SCs. So far as I recall, the notion that frequent high-speed charging would damage the battery or would result in Tesla throttling your charging had not yet arisen.
My situation was that I had not been able to get permission to install a home charging station at my condo, so I was worried that if I used the supercharger, I would "get in trouble" with Tesla. I ended up using mostly the SCs for the better part of a year before I had home charging. I probably drove about 10,000 miles that year, almost all on Supercharging. It was not until later that I first heard about Tesla throttling cars because of frequent or "excessive" high-speed charging. I assume car is throttled to some degree, but have never tried to find out for sure.

I wonder if it is permanent though. Could it be SC vs not SC as a percentage?
Once you hit say 50% it starts to slow down.
Maybe more non-SC charges could drop you below that threshold.

Bjorn Nyland made a video about his charge throttling in his Model X a few years ago, it was related to a counter of DC charges, not a percentage of fast vs slow charging. I'll only search and dig up the video if you doubt this, but my memory on this is pretty good.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Bjorn Nyland made a video about his charge throttling in his Model X a few years ago, it was related to a counter of DC charges, not a percentage of fast vs slow charging. I'll only search and dig up the video if you doubt this, but my memory on this is pretty good.

You’re correct—the consensus is that the throttling is based on a certain threshold of KW added via DC charging including CHAdeMO.

Reactions: Rocky_H
This is a snippet from the Gatway.cfg file:

rhd 0
intrusiontilt 1
memoryseats 2
seattype 2
seatfabrictype 0
memorymirrors 1
ocs 0
euvehicle 1
interior 0
exterior 11
dash 6
4wd 1
seatheaters 1
performance 1
badging 0
fastcharge 1
# access-internal-dat.pl 2019-06-21 07:12:55: Teleforce user wzhang changed fastChargeInstalled from 1 to 2
fastChargeInstalled 2
spoilerinstalled 0

The process of limiting your charging speed seems to be a manual process, someone logs in and changes the speed. (FastChargeInstalled 1 to 2)

I am not rooted, I had my eMMC replaced when I saw the first signs of wear. The guy doing that gave me a memory card with all the data of the eMMC on it, so that you can restore even when the whole chip goes down.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver and Chaserr
I find it hard to believe it is a simple switch and was manually done on probably thousands of cars...
The user identified is listed as a Tesla Product Support Engineer on Linked In so it isn't completely unbelievable and if you look at the date it's from around the time batterygate / chargegate were just getting started, and around that same time people still on 8.1 were reporting Tesla remoting to their car to manually update to v9 without permission. That was mostly 85 battery cars but chargegate started on the 90 long before and maybe they were manually patching cars that showed some at-risk identifiers, especially if they were reacting to batterygate since Tesla did say those changes were to a response to fires in parked cars. If they were worried about cars catching fire it might be high enough priority to make engineers do some manual remote changes like that.

The user identified is listed as a Tesla Product Support Engineer on Linked In so it isn't completely unbelievable and if you look at the date it's from around the time batterygate / chargegate were just getting started, and around that same time people still on 8.1 were reporting Tesla remoting to their car to manually update to v9 without permission. That was mostly 85 battery cars but chargegate started on the 90 long before and maybe they were manually patching cars that showed some at-risk identifiers, especially if they were reacting to batterygate since Tesla did say those changes were to a response to fires in parked cars. If they were worried about cars catching fire it might be high enough priority to make engineers do some manual remote changes like that.

They could also script the change, so it could be done automatically on a large number of cars. It doesn't mean that person had to log in and edit the file manually.

Yeah I'm not sure that's what that setting does.
Mine is throttled and I have no change in my gateway file.

rhd 0
intrusiontilt 1
memoryseats 2
seattype 2
seatfabrictype 0
memorymirrors 1
ocs 0
euvehicle 1
interior 0
exterior 11
dash 6
4wd 1
seatheaters 1
performance 1
badging 0
fastcharge 1
# access-internal-dat.pl 2019-06-21 07:12:55: Teleforce user wzhang changed fastChargeInstalled from 1 to 2
fastChargeInstalled 2
spoilerinstalled 0

The process of limiting your charging speed seems to be a manual process, someone logs in and changes the speed. (FastChargeInstalled 1 to 2)

I am not rooted, I had my eMMC replaced when I saw the first signs of wear. The guy doing that gave me a memory card with all the data of the eMMC on it, so that you can restore even when the whole chip goes down.

rhd 0
intrusiontilt 1
memoryseats 2
seattype 2
seatfabrictype 0
memorymirrors 1
ocs 0
euvehicle 1
interior 0
exterior 11
dash 6
4wd 1
seatheaters 1
performance 1
badging 0
fastcharge 1
fastChargeInstalled 2
spoilerinstalled 0

So I have what might be a dumb question, but I have an appointment to have my eMMC replaced because it’s ready to konk out soon, and my car is throttled. If I don’t have the existing data from my present chip copied to the new chip, will my car effectively be unthrottled with the fastcharrgerinstalled returning to its default setting? It’s probably wishful thinking but worth asking.