Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is reeeeally long, is there consensus on what the thresholds are where speeds are capped and by how much? 4,000kWH DC, 5k, 10k?

I have a Dec 2014 P85D with 178k km, but amazingly only 3400kWH DC charging (out of 66k total - 42k AC and 20k regen) and still hit 130kw supercharging in ideal conditions under 10% SoC (for about 10 seconds and it tapers quickly).

Charging curve is the same terribly slow curve as everyone else (not counting the regained curve 75/90 folks got back with 2020.48.37)

there is a consensus and i forgot what it is. Tesla sent an email to a either an s90 or s75 owner exactly outlining where the throtteling starts and when it stopped/is at its maximum. I cant remember what the exact values were. It was roughly starting at 30k km supercharging and reaching its maximum at 55k km.... i think.

With 3400kwh DC charging on an s85 you havnt quite supercharged enough to hit the treshold i think! I think it may have ben 4000kwh?

My local service number goes to the main switch board that takes you through a maze of "Press 1 for this and Press 2 for that,.. ", and finally tells you to go use the App. There is NO option to reach a human. Their automated phone system is worse than Comcast. I got so frustrated once, I simply drove there which is only two miles away and spoke to someone in person, who was very super helpful.

That's false. Pick the option that claims that your car is in service right now and you'll get transferred to a human at best, voice mail with a call back at worse.

I've tried Comcast (Charter and Spectrum). Try to get someone to help with Internet Essentials at an address that previously had service. Ultimately had to file a CPUC complaint to get a call back.

Have you gone that far?

I finally received the 2020.48.37 update in my 2016 S-75 and supercharged for the first time this morning starting with a warm battery and 18% left. Before throttling, the peak charge was in the 97kW range, and after throttling, it would very briefly touch 82kW just below 50%. Today the car reached a peak charge rate of 108kW, so that’s quite a bit higher than when it was new. It tapered to the former max of 82kW at just before 50% and seemed to taper from there at the same rate as it had before the update. This is a significant improvement that will make long distance traveling much easier especially as more superchargers come online and the “splash and dash” method in the low end of the range can be used. As a heavy supercharger user, I’m very excited with this update.

Can confirm. 17’ S75D. Seeing peak charge rates above 100kW since 48.37.1. These are the highest numbers ever for my vehicle as the previous peak was 96-98kW. My vehicle was throttled with the charge rate permanerf prior to the further charging speed enhancement for 350V packs that increased peak rates to 118-120kW approximately 20 months ago.

It has been about two years since I have seen anything above 82kW. This has resolved my single largest frustration with Tesla and this vehicle. I was specifically told once the accumulated DC fast charging counter is triggered the permanerf, could not be removed or altered in order to improve and protect my ownership experience.

I supercharge far less these days since home charging has been established.

That's false. Pick the option that claims that your car is in service right now and you'll get transferred to a human at best, voice mail with a call back at worse.

I've tried Comcast (Charter and Spectrum). Try to get someone to help with Internet Essentials at an address that previously had service. Ultimately had to file a CPUC complaint to get a call back.

Have you gone that far?
So then you would agree customer service is a facade? You need to trick the system to talk to a person. They can then say let me call you back with an answer and then not do it.

(thread resurrection, no way that I've followed 99% of this thread)
there is a consensus and i forgot what it is. Tesla sent an email to a either an s90 or s75 owner exactly outlining where the throtteling starts and when it stopped/is at its maximum. I cant remember what the exact values were. It was roughly starting at 30k km supercharging and reaching its maximum at 55k km.... i think.

With 3400kwh DC charging on an s85 you havnt quite supercharged enough to hit the treshold i think! I think it may have ben 4000kwh?
First post of 90 and 75 battery packs getting nerfed early??? has the values for a 75 kWh pack.

This doesn't appear to be all packs. Someone on the first page of that thread mentions they have blown well past that limit and seen no throttling. I've seen other mentions of v3 pack owners having no issue, and my v3 pack actually charges at a significantly higher rate than it did when new. So maybe it's just v1?

Edit: also there are comments just in the last few pages about a software update that unlocked the older charge rates. I suspect this thread has been dead because the throttling has been restored for many owners.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever asked tesla to tell them if their battery is throttled? If so, will Tesla tell you?
I have been disappointed in the slow charging with my 70D, for as long as I can recall. I did use the Superchargers frequently in my first year of ownership, because I had no charging set-up at home yet, and the SC nearby has chargers.

Has anyone ever asked tesla to tell them if their battery is throttled? If so, will Tesla tell you?
I have been disappointed in the slow charging with my 70D, for as long as I can recall. I did use the Superchargers frequently in my first year of ownership, because I had no charging set-up at home yet, and the SC nearby has chargers.
If you look at the first post in 90 and 75 battery packs getting nerfed early??? by the OP, they had Tesla service confirm that their pack was throttled due to a high amount of DCFC kWh. They even specified the threshold...

Turns out there is little to no long term impact anyway:

That article is almost entirely talking about range, not charge speed. There's a brief mention of supercharging speeds at the end:
"In Tesla’s owner manual, the automaker doesn’t talk about frequent DC fast charging affecting battery longevity anymore, but it does mention the potential to “decrease slightly” the peak charging rate:"

I have 12MW of DC charging on my ‘12 P85. Hits much higher kW on a SC than when new(135or so) but does taper to~109 kW+SOC, new was closer to 120
@David29 70s always had lower charge speed, probably doing the same rate per battery size though
Hmm I have a 2012 Model S, rev B 85kWh pack, and have not done nearly 12MWh worth of DCFC. But I don't peak much above 100kW anymore and the charge curve tails off rapidly... I suspect if you compared your 0-80% charge time now to back when all there was were 90kW V1 SuperChargers, your 0-80% charge time was likely still faster back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: richrootes
Hmm I have a 2012 Model S, rev B 85kWh pack, and have not done nearly 12MWh worth of DCFC. But I don't peak much above 100kW anymore and the charge curve tails off rapidly... I suspect if you compared your 0-80% change time now to back when all there was were 90kW V1 SuperChargers, your 0-80% charge time was likely still faster back then.
I’ll check, I’ve got a few old visible tesla curves and newer TeslaFi stuff. My back is also a rev B, got it when they were doing all of the old the contactors in early 2014. Charging is definitely slower especially as the temperature heats up

Last edited:
2014 - 10%SOC (28mi) - 84%(223mi) 47 minutes
2023 - 9%SOC (23mi) - 78%(189mi) 57 minutes (was only 37F out for this data)
didn't find any 90kW only SC data. car is at 107k mi now . I've never cleaned any radiators & AC does not work at all currently. raced the car in autocross for 7 years too ;P
1693495449310.png

I'm amazed it keeps as good of a curve as it does given that being broken. During SC sessions on my car it's pretty common for the chiller to be running flat out around the 30-60% range in hot weather. Nowadays I've seen rates as high as 161kW around 25% SOC.
That's impressive. When I had my P90DL back from 2016 - 2018, I rarely saw anything even close to 100 kW. It was usually 60-80 kW peaks. It was really nerfed.

I agree, I have a 6 year old 75 pack with 52k miles, primarily on DC or Supercharger charging and it still gets up to over 125kW charging speeds...
For how long?
My 2017 (Oct build) model S75 will occasionally exceed 125kW charging rate if conditions are juuuuuuusssst right... but it drops down almost instantly. Literally stays at max rate for a few seconds at most.
I think they changed the curve back when they re-instituted our fast charging. When new(er) this car would hit max rate and stay there for a couple / few minutes. Then the throttled my charging speed to max 90kWh back when this thread started. Then they rescinded that throttling, and "put it back" to normal fast charging, but it was never the same. Sure it gets up to a decent max rate, around about the 17-22 SOC point depending on conditions, but it quickly starts to drop back down.

2014 - 10%SOC (28mi) - 84%(223mi) 47 minutes
2023 - 9%SOC (23mi) - 78%(189mi) 57 minutes (was only 37F out for this data)
didn't find any 90kW only SC data. car is at 107k mi now . I've never cleaned any radiators & AC does not work at all currently. raced the car in autocross for 7 years too ;P
View attachment 969757
@Zextraterrestrial - great detail. What app did you use to capture and graph that data? Thx!