Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inflationary Price Increase coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The M3RWD is the best buy right now. It has 270miles of range and you can charge it to 100% daily.. meaning you get to use all that range everyday if necessary. That said its still a $47K car before delivery + taxes.. and interest rates should begin creeping up today. As crazy as it seems to have $4 gas now the nationwide average.. the reality is most people are really only spending from $50 to $75 more for gas than they were exactly a year ago. That's still significantly cheaper than buying a new $50K to $75k EV.. plus installing charging equipment at home.

Smart money is sitting on the sidelines right now until things calm down. Good news is gas prices are already dropping from last week's high.. so hopefully we are headed in the right direction.

Reactions: kabin and leoita
I placed a Cybertruck reservation in October 2021....since then Tesla has taken 950k reservations (placed MXP reservation on Saturday right before the price increase). As per Tesla, their Fremont facility can build 600k cars/year meaning (without factoring in GigaTexas) Tesla has 18 months of backlog to fulfill EXISTING orders. This is all before the Russia-Ukraine tiff + gas prices, so I can only see this getting worse before it gets better.

Tesla's own costs have significantly increased as well (Russia is 3rd largest steel exporter, prices of nickel has quadrupled). At least Tesla has a 8 year head start in developing their own supply chain.....Ford stating they want to make 200k Mach E's per year will struggle to find enough raw material to fulfill those demands.

I felt kind of guilty when I ordered my MYP for $63990. Now the same car is $67990, so I am kind of glad I did. However, until yesterday I had a VIN assigned and a delivery date of March 29 -31. Today VIN disappeared and new delivery date is between April 13 to May 18. What a hell is going on in Tesla?????? 😫
Hey maybe a blessing…4680, dual pane rear windows…who knows?!

The IONIC 5 is starting to look particularly attractive now lol. MYP in order in Canada for 87k (now 92k) but the I5 is 62k less 5k rebate.
Literally now a 34-35k variance. That’s insane.

I’m going to go see one at a dealership just to get it out of my system lol. We have a 22’ M3 LR so don’t necessarily need 2 Teslas. MYP I love the power but for 35k more??

Reactions: Daekwan
The IONIC 5 is starting to look particularly attractive now lol. MYP in order in Canada for 87k (now 92k) but the I5 is 62k less 5k rebate.
Literally now a 34-35k variance. That’s insane.

I’m going to go see one at a dealership just to get it out of my system lol. We have a 22’ M3 LR so don’t necessarily need 2 Teslas. MYP I love the power but for 35k more??

The 35k more sounds like a ton of more money. The IONIC might have a $10k mark up over the msrp, though..

The 35k more sounds like a ton of more money. The IONIC might have a $10k mark up over the msrp, though..
Contacted a few dealers. So far none have said they are. I’m just curious is the MY that much more than the I5 for the new price diff. Hmm 🤔 I’m a tesla fanboy, 6 yrs owner and investor so trust me…it’s a hard one for me to even think about a diff EV!

Ordered my model y in November with the thought of locking in 2022 tax credit. Thought I missed the boat on price increase as so many had happened in the months prior. Crazy that tax credit didn't happen, but my order is now at a $6k discount.

Reactions: Daekwan
Contacted a few dealers. So far none have said they are. I’m just curious is the MY that much more than the I5 for the new price diff. Hmm 🤔 I’m a tesla fanboy, 6 yrs owner and investor so trust me…it’s a hard one for me to even think about a diff EV!

I wouldn't get the IONIC even though its a lot freaking cheaper. I cannot get it over the looks of the IONIC.. Those cars are totally different.. But I don't see why shouldn't be getting one if you only care about the EV... It's probably a very good car for the money.

Reactions: thinktwice
I wouldn't get the IONIC even though its a lot freaking cheaper. I cannot get it over the looks of the IONIC.. Those cars are totally different.. But I don't see why shouldn't be getting one if you only care about the EV... It's probably a very good car for the money.

I was like you. Couldn’t care less but lately the body style has grown on me and I’ve seen a few on the road. Not bad at all. Diff brand and market agreed. There are actually features on the I5 which I never knew. Ie. CarPlay for one, magnetic cell holder, quieter, better susp, huge recline seats, epa which is actually accurate, 5.1 sec 0-60…I had no idea. I’m just curious whether it’s a compelling model.

Last edited:
I was like you. Couldn’t care less but lately the body style has grown on me and I’ve seen a few on the road. Not bad at all. Diff brand and market agreed. There are actually features on the I5 which I never knew. Ie. CarPlay for one, magnetic cell holder, quieter, better susp, hide recline seats, epa which is accurate. 5.1 sec 0-60…I had no idea. I’m just curious whether it’s a compelling model.
Shopping for a EV6 (sister car to Ioniq5) for the wife as we speak. I refuse to pay more than MSRP + reasonable dealer fee ($500-ish). She wants this car specifically because it has opening sunroof. Pretty rare occurrence on EVs. From all the reviews the Ioniq5/EV6 are legit. That said I would not pay a $10K markup on these cars. Hell not even a $5K markup. I just don't think a $60K Hyundai product is a smart buy.. regardless of how well its reviewed.

I feel the same way about a $75-80K Model Y. Hence my posts in this thread.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Well, I'm officially keeping my MYSR another year at the minimum. Hell, maybe 2-3 years... who knows when these prices will return to "normal". I was personally holding out ordering until Austin was delivering customer cars with the structured 4680 pack. But its just priced crazily now.

One thing is for sure.. I'm not paying $72K for an MYLR the options I want (red/white/tow/black wheels)+ tax.. or $77K for the MYP (red/white/tow). These are awesome vehicles but they are simply not worth these price tags.
Agreed. I’m hanging on to our MYSR7 until grim death at this point.

Last edited:
Shopping for a EV6 (sister car to Ioniq5) for the wife as we speak. I refuse to pay more than MSRP + reasonable dealer fee ($500-ish). She wants this car specifically because it has opening sunroof. Pretty rare occurrence on EVs. From all the reviews the Ioniq5/EV6 are legit. That said I would not pay a $10K markup on these cars. Hell not even a $5K markup. I just don't think a $60K Hyundai product is a smart buy.. regardless of how well its reviewed.

I feel the same way about a $75-80K Model Y. Hence my posts in this thread.
Well said - I bought my first Model 3 last year for $39,990 because I didn't want to "guess" what the price I'd actually pay for via normal dealer channels. Hyundai has a better buyer's program than Kia where I can, online, make a hyundai Ioniq5 purchase (MSRP + $600 tint) via select dealers here in Dallas. Kia, unfortunately, does not have a similar "buyer assurance" program + Kia dealers, in my experience, are usually way less ethical.

The Ford Mach-E is a great vehicle, just like the Kia EV-6 is a wonderful EV alternative....but for both, the dealer experience sours the ownership.

To the price raises at Tesla, I'd anticipate every manufacturer will be evaluating a "dynamic" pricing model because Tesla can change prices whenever, but traditional auto manufacturers have to abide by the already-set-2022-MSRP which cannot account for big events like supply chain shortage of the Russia-Ukraine event. Other brands will surely do so shortly. Curious how this will impact used Tesla prices & values.