Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial 1000 HW2 cars getting AP software 12/31/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's wrong with the app? (Maybe I shouldn't ask, I might not want to know :D )

Funny how we are all bothered by different things.

I have to agree, the app is quite lacking considering this is Tesla!

There should be a "pro" version of the app, where the nerd in me can get more data and stats regarding what the car is doing, how it's performing, etc. It would be extra special if I could access any of the cars cameras by way of the app:D

Reactions: sdorn
Gotta say there sure is a lot of butthurt in this thread. I was not one of the 1000 and while disappointed at not receiving .185 and the 'soft rollout' in general I am sucking it up.

Also, I did my own due diligence as anyone should when making an $80,000+ purchase. At purchase I selected EAP and did not choose FSD knowing that the latter would be far out.

Spot on. It was clear to me as well as to what to expect on delivery, and what features / enhancements would roll out in future spins and increments. I was getting a little upset at some of the things Tesla was doing right around the time I had built / ordered my car, and my wife bitch-slapped me and said "start behaving like you own a luxury, exotic car...and stopping complaining".

@Kcain thanks for posting photos of the EAP release notes. I think they are a real improvement over the AP V1 release notes as they more clearly explain what the driver's responsibilities are. If Tesla had release notes like that for AP V1 they could have avoided a lot of negative publicity and maybe even prevented a few drivers from over relying on AP, to their detriment.As others have pointed out, since EAP was announced Tesla has been clear that it was going to take some time for it to come up to the level of AP V1 but that over time it would exceed it. First they need a lot of miles driven with EAP cars so they can accumulate real world data to fine tune the new sensor suite.
True, but those people received cars with valuable additional hardware (and a new onboard computer) for free, and their cars will be more valuable at resale. If I were one of those people I certainly would not complain about that. But no doubt some people will complain because they are unable to see past their own immediate need for gratification.

Completely agree of course, especially as someone who just missed hw2 on one car by 2-3 weeks. However, we have to remember that for every informed/enthusiast person here, there are 9 others who just bought the car based on the website and information shared by sales staff.

Here is my question, I'm currently doing a 3 year lease of my MX P100D that I added both enhanced autopilot and full self driving option. Both of which I pay an additional $130/ per month for the features. I'm totally fine with Tesla rolling things out slowly but I also don't feel that I should be paying the $130 until I have both features and they function as described. I also, had a salesperson not mention anything about the delay with AP2. All I was told on my test drive is my cars AP would be significantly better than the one I test drove. I then placed my order to find out later while searching forums about the delays. Also, at delivery at Tesla SC I was never told anything about not having AP but since I had been on forum I asked and was told by end of December or sometime in January. Again, saleman never said it would not be the full AP2 features like description. I'm not upset but I do feel that I should not be on hook ($130/monthly) for features I do not possess. What are others thoughts?

I could understand getting the eAP package because the expectation with that one was pretty clear with what it was going to do, and approximately what time it was going to be released (Dec 2016 - Subject to regulatory approval). At the very least there was an expectation of feature parity with AP1 for Dec 2016th. The feature parity is important because I don't believe it adds anything that needs to pass regulatory. Even if it's late (which it is now) it's not very likely to be that late. Maybe another 3 months for feature parity, and then another 6 months of adding things to it.

But, why in the world did you get the FSD package? With that one there are ZERO promises from Tesla on a date. They're not even expected to demonstrate it till the end of the 2017. Your lease is going to be over before that is released. With that one you're just giving money for Tesla with ZERO in return for it.

I think it's too late for you to get out of the FSD package. But, I don't think it hurts to try. I wouldn't try to get out of the eAP. Sure it's going to be late, but you'll get a major part of it (the TACC) within weeks.

I'm disappointed I still have no EAP functionality, but I bet all the people who missed HW2 by a couple of months wish they were in our shoes, and this whine must be grating. This said, if a month from now Tesla doesn't deliver close to AP1 functionality, then I will start to whine as well.

Reactions: Pale_Rider
Spot on. It was clear to me as well as to what to expect on delivery, and what features / enhancements would roll out in future spins and increments. I was getting a little upset at some of the things Tesla was doing right around the time I had built / ordered my car, and my wife bitch-slapped me and said "start behaving like you own a luxury, exotic car...and stopping complaining".

But, umm part of owing an exotic car is complaining. :)

That's why they're mostly Italian.

As to eAP this is when I expect that people will start to complain. If someone was paying attention they knew to expect eAP to start the release right around Dec 2016.

As to what they expected with this date largely depends on how much research they've done themselves. It's obvious to me that you have a good source of information because your expectation is a incremental releases with a little bit at each time. But, this isn't what the website says. The website still gives the impression that the full eAP package will be rolled out in Dec 2016 (subject to regulatory approval).

If i was an eAP owner I'd have about 3-6 months of grace period because that's typically the delay on software. So I would be expect feature parity on March 2017, and to start exceeding AP1 by June 2017.

Thanks for the clarification, but that further provides evidence of the lack of communication from Tesla in the car buying experience. And while I mis-remembered the statement (will be vs expected), I would still understand it as ENHANCED and not basic AP.

I think this is a terminology thing. I believe that what a Tesla calls the Enhanced Autopilot (or EAP) is what we call AP2.0 (meaning the post-September 2016 cars that ship with 8 cameras. Ther is no "regular autopilot" for cars with the upgraded (8 camera) hardware.

Now on the cars with the upgraded hardware, there are three options:

- no autopilot - the car has the hardware but you didn't pay for autopilot so you have nothin active
- enhanced autopilot (EAP) - the car has the hardware and you either paid for EAP when you ordered or upgraded and paid for it after delivery at a higher price. This is the functionality that was expected to be released (at least in part) by Dec 2016 with upgrades pushed out in the future.
- full self driving (FSD) - this is a software option you can order with the car or pay a higher amount to add to the car later. You cannot get FSD unless you also have EAP. FSD is supposed to be level-5 autonomous driving which Tesla says is expcted by the end of 2017 subject to legal and regulatory approval which many people think may not ever happen given the current hardware (lack of additional radars, lack of lidar, etc.).

I also believe that what Tesla has said is that they believe the state of EAP software will be on par with AP1.0 software (I guess you could call AP1.0 "regular autopilot") in early 2017 and then exceed AP1.0 capability in future updates because it has more/better sensors and a better computer.

Reactions: wesley888
Here is my question, I'm currently doing a 3 year lease of my MX P100D that I added both enhanced autopilot and full self driving option. Both of which I pay an additional $130/ per month for the features.

I don't see why a lease, loan, or cash purchase is relevant. A lease is just paying depreciation in real time. Cash is no different, it's just when you realize the depreciation.

But, umm part of owing an exotic car is complaining. :)

That's why they're mostly Italian.

As to eAP this is when I expect that people will start to complain. If someone was paying attention they knew to expect eAP to start the release right around Dec 2016.

As to what they expected with this date largely depends on how much research they've done themselves. It's obvious to me that you have a good source of information because your expectation is a incremental releases with a little bit at each time. But, this isn't what the website says. The website still gives the impression that the full eAP package will be rolled out in Dec 2016 (subject to regulatory approval).

If i was an eAP owner I'd have about 3-6 months of grace period because that's typically the delay on software. So I would be expect feature parity on March 2017, and to start exceeding AP1 by June 2017.

Ok, you made me laugh a bit. So, thanks for the Italian joke. I getcha'. I agree with your timeline too. I'm good with the current feature set. Maybe since I'm in the software / agile development industry, I see Tesla deploying feature and enhancement updates every 30 days (SCRUM style). Boy, if Tesla approached this using a waterfall approach, I think we'd still be at power windows....

Gotta say there sure is a lot of butthurt in this thread. I was not one of the 1000 and while disappointed at not receiving .185 and the 'soft rollout' in general I am sucking it up.

Also, I did my own due diligence as anyone should when making an $80,000+ purchase. At purchase I selected EAP and did not choose FSD knowing that the latter would be far out.

Well, Tesla did suggest EAP (suggesting AP1 parity or beyond) update would come to AP2 cars in December 2016...

Not that a non-AP1 parity update would come to 1000 cars on December 31st, 2016...

That said, anyones own due diligence by now needs to included the understanding of Tesla Time, which is different from our time. :)

Could this be the weather related issue... California being a safer starting point, weather-wise?

The curse of the California car strikes again. :)

It's pretty safe, weather-wise, down here in Florida. And all of the snowbirds from up north are down here this time of year, thus no problem finding a baby blue 1972 Cadillac Sedan de Ville with NY plates going 35 on the interstate.

Elon, you need to test in Florida NOW.