Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial 1000 HW2 cars getting AP software 12/31/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those customers got thousands in hardware and future resale value. They will be just fine and can survive a couple months actually driving and enjoying the vehicle.

I'm enjoying the car without these features and the way that I look at it is when a more fully complete update gets pushed out, it will be as though I purchased a new MS all over again! ;)

Yes, at least 2 forum members have reported the update here. Unfortunately the first was not working properly, but it may have been due to attempting to use it at night on the initial test. The second person has not chimed in on functionality.

I received the update last night. I have since driven almost 100 miles, mostly highway, the second 50 miles during the day. There is still no functionality, just the cameras calibrating error. I dont even have cruise control since TACC was included in the update!

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX and Matias
I received the update last night. I have since driven almost 100 miles, mostly highway, the second 50 miles during the day. There is still no functionality, just the cameras calibrating error. I dont even have cruise control since TACC was included in the update!

Sounds like they really checked it out before release! So far we have ZERO reports of it actually working. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: 182RG and ibracem
For me, this is really an issue of trust and transparency - it started with the salesperson that I did a test drive with and showed off all the autopilot features - and how it could be set to go 5 mph over the speed limit. He then urged me to watch the videos on their website with all the autopilot features. Bad move IMO to push that out there like we should all expect to have cars that do what the video shows. All the promises of the HW2 and AP2 software rolling out in December. For the average buyer that doesn't read this board, all of the sales and support people I talked with had me believing something entirely different than what I am reading on this forum. I learned a lot over the holidays about my new car that all the sales and support people weren't telling me by reading these forums. I wouldn't classify it as a bait and switch, but a very big let down when I actually took delivered of the car on Dec. 28th. It was something I was looking forward to for the past several weeks, until I found this forum. I guess reading this forum has at least prepared me for reality - but did burst my bubble at the same time. I will stop telling other people what it can/may/could possibly/who knows when DO for the time being and just drive it like any other car I have owned. However, I don't give Musk a pass on this one. Even until the last hours of December, he rolls out a trimmed down, limited Beta release to a bunch of his chosen few in California to say "I kept my promise". I respect the guy a lot for his vision and goals, but integrity and taking ownership of a failure is the highest in my book. I own my own company, and trust is the most valuable commodity in business!!!

Sounds like they really checked it out before release! So far we have ZERO reports of it actually working. :rolleyes:

Or the calibration process takes much longer than it does on HW1 cars because of the additional sensors. We don't know how much the car needs to fully calibrate. 100 miles? 100 daylight miles? 100 miles with close traffic around the car on a divided highway? 100 miles driving under 25 mph? There are plenty of variables that we just don't know. I certainly remember that with the HW1 cars, some people experienced calibration complete in a very rapid fashion while it took much longer for others....

Does anyone honestly believe this update would not have been pushed if it didn't work?

• Funny
Reactions: ibracem
For me, this is really an issue of trust and transparency - it started with the salesperson that I did a test drive with and showed off all the autopilot features - and how it could be set to go 5 mph over the speed limit. He then urged me to watch the videos on their website with all the autopilot features. Bad move IMO to push that out there like we should all expect to have cars that do what the video shows. All the promises of the HW2 and AP2 software rolling out in December. For the average buyer that doesn't read this board, all of the sales and support people I talked with had me believing something entirely different than what I am reading on this forum. I learned a lot over the holidays about my new car that all the sales and support people weren't telling me by reading these forums. I wouldn't classify it as a bait and switch, but a very big let down when I actually took delivered of the car on Dec. 28th. It was something I was looking forward to for the past several weeks, until I found this forum. I guess reading this forum has at least prepared me for reality - but did burst my bubble at the same time. I will stop telling other people what it can/may/could possibly/who knows when DO for the time being and just drive it like any other car I have owned. However, I don't give Musk a pass on this one. Even until the last hours of December, he rolls out a trimmed down, limited Beta release to a bunch of his chosen few in California to say "I kept my promise". I respect the guy a lot for his vision and goals, but integrity and taking ownership of a failure is the highest in my book. I own my own company, and trust is the most valuable commodity in business!!!

I've been pretty much pure Tesla / Musk fan boy since I ordered the car, but this Chinese water torture of waiting for drips of functionality rather than getting a clear picture of when the feature that was 90% of the reason I bought the car will come is starting to annoy me as well.

Or the calibration process takes much longer than it does on HW1 cars because of the additional sensors. We don't know how much the car needs to fully calibrate. 100 miles? 100 daylight miles? 100 miles with close traffic around the car on a divided highway? 100 miles driving under 25 mph? There are plenty of variables that we just don't know. I certainly remember that with the HW1 cars, some people experienced calibration complete in a very rapid fashion while it took much longer for others....

Does anyone honestly believe this update would not have been pushed if it didn't work?

You know what would help all of that? COMMUNICATION!

I'm new to Teslas as of just over a week ago, and I love the car, but am starting to quickly realize just how unpolished the company is. And I guess I should never expect more, they are what, 5 years old? That's infant stage compared to other car manufacturers.

Why can't they be more clear on exactly what needs to happen in order for the functionality to work? Do they themselves not know? Or even some sort of message like "Features may take up to 48 hours to fully activate", instead of leaving drivers on their own to discover they do not work and left wondering and confused on what happens next.

Last edited:
Here is my question, I'm currently doing a 3 year lease of my MX P100D that I added both enhanced autopilot and full self driving option. Both of which I pay an additional $130/ per month for the features. I'm totally fine with Tesla rolling things out slowly but I also don't feel that I should be paying the $130 until I have both features and they function as described. I also, had a salesperson not mention anything about the delay with AP2. All I was told on my test drive is my cars AP would be significantly better than the one I test drove. I then placed my order to find out later while searching forums about the delays. Also, at delivery at Tesla SC I was never told anything about not having AP but since I had been on forum I asked and was told by end of December or sometime in January. Again, saleman never said it would not be the full AP2 features like description. I'm not upset but I do feel that I should not be on hook ($130/monthly) for features I do not possess. What are others thoughts?

I've been pretty much pure Tesla / Musk fan boy since I ordered the car, but this Chinese water torture of waiting for drips of functionality rather than getting a clear picture of when the feature that was 90% of the reason I bought the car will come is starting to annoy me as well.

Totally agree. Just tell us when it REALLY will work. I know it's tempting to push the deadline as tight as possible. There is pressure from everywhere to fulfill these expectations and promises. But, I would much rather he say these are the features we will release on Jan 20th, then we will release features b,c,d on Feb. 15th, and actually do that. Not overpromise and then underdeliver!! It's much better to overdeliver on your promises! That is what builds fans and loyalty.
I also really like him to accept and own a mistake or failure. Just apologize, and everyone can move on. Not, string people along and pretend to fulfill a promise and pat yourself on the back and assume or hope we don't see through it.

Totally agree. Just tell us when it REALLY will work. I know it's tempting to push the deadline as tight as possible. There is pressure from everywhere to fulfill these expectations and promises. But, I would much rather he say these are the features we will release on Jan 20th, then we will release features b,c,d on Feb. 15th, and actually do that. Not overpromise and then underdeliver!! It's much better to overdeliver on your promises! That is what builds fans and loyalty.
I also really like him to accept and own a mistake or failure. Just apologize, and everyone can move on. Not, string people along and pretend to fulfill a promise and pat yourself on the back and assume or hope we don't see through it.

I've never really been one for apologies, doesn't exactly fix what was already done but you first point is spot on.

I hate this unknown waiting game. Checking the forums, checking Twitter, wondering if I'm getting an update or not. As you said, I'd rather a solid date, that they can actually hit, even if it's a month+ out.

Here is my question, I'm currently doing a 3 year lease of my MX P100D that I added both enhanced autopilot and full self driving option. Both of which I pay an additional $130/ per month for the features. I'm totally fine with Tesla rolling things out slowly but I also don't feel that I should be paying the $130 until I have both features and they function as described. I also, had a salesperson not mention anything about the delay with AP2. All I was told on my test drive is my cars AP would be significantly better than the one I test drove. I then placed my order to find out later while searching forums about the delays. Also, at delivery at Tesla SC I was never told anything about not having AP but since I had been on forum I asked and was told by end of December or sometime in January. Again, saleman never said it would not be the full AP2 features like description. I'm not upset but I do feel that I should not be on hook ($130/monthly) for features I do not possess. What are others thoughts?

I totally agree with you! The salespeople need training. You would have never known all this if it weren't for reading the posts in this forum. There should be scripting that they must adhere to not to raise the expectations and overpromise features that may be delayed or at worse, never enabled. I was not sold entirely on those features alone, but in your case, your monthly lease reflects those features that you may or may not ever get to use. COMMUNICATION is the key. They could have avoided a lot of this. Just be honest with us, we will respect and be loyal for that more than any feature or egg. Respect goes both ways Tesla/ Musk

Reactions: Lbkmxp100d

Well nonone finances their car from Tesla so not paying a portion isn't any kind of option. Tesla should however at least give a monthly banked credit towards a future purchase. Your lease may be "substantially" over by the time all promised features you paid for are available....