Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance renewal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just renewed with LV=.

Was trying to find an insurer that covered PPF, Dechrome and Fully Comprehensive Driving in the EU (for all drivers on the policy) for at least 90 days.

Only LV= and Direct Line met those criteria and I had to phone to get the EU cover pricing from Direct Line (my current insurer) which was an additional £64 per month.

LV= also cover for damaged/stolen charging equipment and will recover and recharge you if you run out of battery for no cost.
I didn't think Direct Line covered PPF, I have been told that they wont insure PPF and if you get it they will cancel the insurance.

I didn't think Direct Line covered PPF, I have been told that they wont insure PPF and if you get it they will cancel the insurance.
I spoke to them on their live chat and saved the transcript. They covered PPF and the dechrome in the car modifications as `Paint - Protection` and `Decals/Stickers` respectively. I had already taken out my policy with them and it didn't increase my premium.

I spoke to them on their live chat and saved the transcript. They covered PPF and the dechrome in the car modifications as `Paint - Protection` and `Decals/Stickers` respectively. I had already taken out my policy with them and it didn't increase my premium.
Be careful on the Paint Protection side, when this is queried with their underwriters they don't consider Paint Protection Film (PPF) as paint protection as it is an additional film on the car. They consider things like Ceramic coating to be paint protection. I know someone that went through this and when escalated to the underwriters they stated that they consider PPF to be a wrap and therefore not covered.

I would suggest that when it comes to renewal you don't stay with them due to this.

Reactions: Durzel
Be careful on the Paint Protection side, when this is queried with their underwriters they don't consider Paint Protection Film (PPF) as paint protection as it is an additional film on the car. They consider things like Ceramic coating to be paint protection. I know someone that went through this and when escalated to the underwriters they stated that they consider PPF to be a wrap and therefore not covered.

I would suggest that when it comes to renewal you don't stay with them due to this.
I've just renewed with LV as I needed fully comp cover in Europe. I'm was very clear about the PPF to the DL advisor and they confirmed it could be covered. I've got the chat transcript saved and I even shared an article they posted about PPF with them. I'm not sure what else I could have done? I ask the insurer if they cover it and they said yes.

I've just renewed with LV as I needed fully comp cover in Europe. I'm was very clear about the PPF to the DL advisor and they confirmed it could be covered. I've got the chat transcript saved and I even shared an article they posted about PPF with them. I'm not sure what else I could have done? I ask the insurer if they cover it and they said yes.
All I am doing is passing on information, there are quite a few people that have had similar experiences with DL, the staff don't appear to know what PPF is, once they ask the underwriters the story form them changes. DL and Churchill don't like Tesla's that have been modified and they both consider PPF a modification.

M3 AWD. Company car for business use by me and social use by my spouse. Single claim in 2018. 12000 mls per year 62 yrs old full Ncd protected and extra hire car
direct line

First year from new £577
Renewal quote £644
After the phone call £506.

go figure.

Is this the cheapest quote?
Screenshot_20210224-191113_Outlook.jpg

M3 AWD. Company car for business use by me and social use by my spouse. Single claim in 2018. 12000 mls per year 62 yrs old full Ncd protected and extra hire car
direct line

First year from new £577
Renewal quote £644
After the phone call £506.

go figure.

Until last year, a call to Direct Line to challenge the renewal price has always resulted in a price reduction below that of the previous year. But for some reason, even trying on 2 occasions, last year they dig in and wouldn't shift. Good to see that they may have gone back to being a bit more flexible again.

Not a renewal price, may be helpful in finding a Tesla friendly insurer ...

M3 LR 2021, delivery on 17 March 2021. Outer London post code, with 11+ NCD. Quotes include protected NCD add-on when offered.

Insure my Tesla (Direct Line) = £880
LV = £1725
Churchill (part of Direct line) = £717
Admiral = £1446
Comparison websites = all quotes were higher than Churchill.
More Than = Won't quote and gave up, went with Churchill.

Be aware that Churchill require the car reg when purchasing, they wouldn't accept the VIN or make/model. I called Tesla and luckily my reg had been allocated the previous day, but the text hadn't been sent out.

Found one insurer amusing, don't remember which, make/model was picked up correctly and wanted to know fuel type, only options offered were petrol or diesel! o_O

Hi. I went into the Tesla link for DL and started a new quote. That came back with the 506 quote so phone them and they matched their own quote. Try the Tesla insurance link as see what you get quoted. Hope this helps
Thanks. I did this as well, but my quote from the Tesla website link wasn't as dramatically lower (compared with my renewal) as yours was.

Be aware that Churchill require the car reg when purchasing, they wouldn't accept the VIN or make/model. I called Tesla and luckily my reg had been allocated the previous day, but the text hadn't been sent out.

Churchill will give you a quote that's locked in until you can give them the registration. This only lasts up to 30 days so you need to time it with car delivery. If you go beyond 30 days they will re-quote and add a few pounds for good measure (In Sept 2019 my quote went up from £216 to £230 when I went beyond the 30 days so not the end of the world.)

Hi,
I have just gone with Admiral multi-car for my 2017 MS 90D. The reason was I am keeping for now my '16 modeo estate. I transferred my 10yr NCD to the teslam and the mondeo was 0 NCD (gulp). Anyway my quote was £474 fully comp all in. Recommended. I suspect this will go up next year as I think I get a discount on my 0 NCB the first year, but I will have probably sold the modeo by then anyway..

Spanish