Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Admiral are quoting me £615 for MYLR, 20k annual miles including business, 40y/o, company lease.

Direct line wont quote because it’s a company lease.

For comparison, I was paying £500 with Admiral for my XC40 recharge twin, which is similar in most respects to the MY.

Reactions: Badddams
I came across ClearScore’s DriveScore app recently (having spotted Aviva Drive ended in Sept 2020). Essentially a telematic assessor of what they think are good driving qualities to generate a score 0–1000 with potential for “up to” 10% discount with a select group of insurers (on opt-in); Admiral, Elephant, Diamond, Hastings, Insure 2 Drive, Insure Pink, People's Choice, and Provident. Only the score given to insurers (not Equifax), and not distance travelled. So could do a quick 150 mi (minimum required) 24 days before renewal on dual/motorway cruise (in Chill Mode and with extreme gentle acceleration) to gain some extra discount. Their terms also suggest that insurers may hold on to your score thereafter (even after app account deletion).

There’s a decent write-up at MoneySavingExpert. Usefully they publish values about their event-trigger thresholds.

Reactions: greenbottle123
I had it for just 2 days then wiped it once I saw I was getting harsh acceleration / braking / cornering events even on a Chill Mode cruise home, taking it deliberately gently. Plus not-quite-in-target-lane AutoSteer engagement on day 1 led to a similar harsh cornering event (not great AP that, given no vehicles around at the time). It's also tailored to fossil vehicles, not the rapid torque of EV motors. Probably helps to have the smartphone docked centrally rather than in a pocket.

In reality what likely matters to insurers is distance driven and time exposure to the other risky road users out there. Much like how By Miles operates (and insurers with telematics black box installs). They all seem super keen on giving penalties for driving on/after 22:00:00.

Going to try Android Developer options Quick Tile to turn ‘Sensors off’ (accelerometer/magnetometer) to see if it works with just GPS/Location tracking.

Did a reference quote for 23 days ahead at start, will opt in to submitting score if good enough to see what sort of discount (if any) offered.

Last edited:
Just found a DVLA Freedom of Info request dated July 2020 showing that 42 Tesla vehicles were stolen in 2018, and a fewer 23 in 2019 - out of a total of 101,361 in 2018 and 100,155 in 2019. So that's 65 out of 201,516 (0.03%), with 2018 and 2019 the worst two years for stolen vehicles between 2010 and 2020. Typically 40% are recovered.

Just found a DVLA Freedom of Info request dated July 2020 showing that 42 Tesla vehicles were stolen in 2018, and a fewer 23 in 2019 - out of a total of 101,361 in 2018 and 100,155 in 2019. So that's 65 out of 201,516 (0.03%), with 2018 and 2019 the worst two years for stolen vehicles between 2010 and 2020. Typically 40% are recovered.
Wild guess here - the Tesla's stolen were either used for parts or joyriding/insurance claim?
Would be interesting to know if they were stolen simply by using the card (and no pin)

Do we know the model break down? The Model 3/Y is supposed to be more resistant to entry theft than the older Model S/X.

Reactions: NewbieT
Just went through quotes for my MY - for reference Direct Line online couldn't cope with the MY so had to phone them, they quoted ~£1,100 so went with Admiral in the end.

One thing I did this time, which I have never tried (or felt the need to) in the past was actually enter my drivers licence number - it took the Admiral quote down from £575 to £500. Might be worth a try for others to eek the quotes down a bit more.

We went with admiral in the end on a multi car policy -
Both 36 years old, 11 NCB no claims/convictions, 10k miles per year - £780.

Its disappointing that despite MY being released just under a month ago, more insurance companies are still not giving quotes (part of me thinks they don't like the risks associated with the costs to repair/replace ).

I did an online direct line quote which was coming up to £950.00 but it would not let me enter my reg. So I gave them a call and he re ran the quote and came out at £1,300.00. When I queried this, his response was was that by going through online its cheaper, but I tried to explain that I would have done it online had it not was accepting my reg. We just ended up going around in circles and price remained.

I then tried Nova insurance, after 3 phone calls and then taking my details on the final call, they just simply failed to give me a call back with a quote (its been over a week).

Sometimes I do wonder what is the point of ringing up, spending 15 mins giving them all of your details to get a quote when they either come back higher to online quotes or just not bother to call you back.

Its disappointing that despite MY being released just under a month ago, more insurance companies are still not giving quotes (part of me thinks they don't like the risks associated with the costs to repair/replace ).

I did an online direct line quote which was coming up to £950.00 but it would not let me enter my reg. So I gave them a call and he re ran the quote and came out at £1,300.00. When I queried this, his response was was that by going through online its cheaper, but I tried to explain that I would have done it online had it not was accepting my reg. We just ended up going around in circles and price remained.

I then tried Nova insurance, after 3 phone calls and then taking my details on the final call, they just simply failed to give me a call back with a quote (its been over a week).

Sometimes I do wonder what is the point of ringing up, spending 15 mins giving them all of your details to get a quote when they either come back higher to online quotes or just not bother to call you back.
Pretty much identical situation (including premium) I experienced. Had no choice but to go with Admiral. Hopefully by renewal, we will have more choice and competition for cover.

You've answered your own question there unfortunately.

Because you have given them all your details.

Which is worth its weight in gold to these guys. Even if they don't want to insure you, they still have them.

MY is identical to M3 so what extra risk is there?