Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intelligent Octopus Go - Gas Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aq42

Apr 17, 2022
UK
Well, after a saga and a half I now have smart meters and the electricity is on the Intelligent Octopus Go tariff, and I have a Home Mini. (Touches wood) Everything seems to be working.

The next step along the road is gas. Pending a decision on whether we move once younger child goes to university next year or stay where we are, we will be keeping the gas boiler for the time being*. The gas tariff is Flexible Octopus. Does anyone know whether other gas tariffs are available in conjunction with IOG, and if so which? I can't find anything sensible on the Octopus website.

*I'd like to move to solar, battery and heat pump but my better half is reluctant to spend the money if we might only be in the house for another 18 months or so as she's far from convinced we would recoup it on a sale.

Thanks

Best is Octopus Tracker. Changes every day slightly based on a formula on wholesale gas prices. Consistently 50% cheaper than Standard Flexible rate.

Be sure to specify that you want tracker for Gas only and remain on IO for Electric though.
Agreed. I think it's only available to apply for by phone and sometimes they pause new subs on to it completely so be prepared to wait.

Agreed. I think it's only available to apply for by phone and sometimes they pause new subs on to it completely so be prepared to wait.

Having been [edit] invited to signup [/edit] by Octopus, I signed up for interest at least a year ago and was told to wait. I’m still waiting.

Also remember that you do not have to take electricity and gas from the same supplier. Some suppliers give so called dual fuel discounts (I don’t believe Octopus does) but that often still does not offset any potential savings from going elsewhere [add/]and splitting gas and electricity across providers.

Last edited:
Having been signed up to by Octopus, I signed up for interest at least a year ago and was told to wait. I’m still waiting.

Also remember that you do not have to take electricity and gas from the same supplier. Some suppliers give so called dual fuel discounts (I don’t believe Octopus does) but that often still does not offset any potential savings from going elsewhere.
I must have been slightly ahead of the curve. Signed up over a year ago (probably February), switched over the next day

Having been [edit] invited to signup [/edit] by Octopus, I signed up for interest at least a year ago and was told to wait. I’m still waiting.
There is an option to choose gas or electricity tracker on octopus tracker site. Not sure if you do it again they may switch your account rather than waiting.

And it says fixed tariff like loyal octopus will be charged an exit fee. I am on flexible octopus is that loyal octopus?

There is an option to choose gas or electricity tracker on octopus tracker site. Not sure if you do it again they may switch your account rather than waiting.

And it says fixed tariff like loyal octopus will be charged an exit fee. I am on flexible octopus is that loyal octopus?
Nope, Loyal is another one, fixed term, 12mth contract.
Flexible Octopus is their name for what other providers call the 'Standard Variable' tariff.

Also there are no exit fees on Octopus Tracker, but if you chose to leave (to go back to Flexible for instance), their only provision is that you can't switch back to Tracker during the next 9 months.

Reactions: spdpsba
Nope, Loyal is another one, fixed term, 12mth contract.
Flexible Octopus is their name for what other providers call the 'Standard Variable' tariff.

Also there are no exit fees on Octopus Tracker, but if you chose to leave (to go back to Flexible for instance), their only provision is that you can't switch back to Tracker during the next 9 months.
I know circumstances change and all. Do you think tracker for gas is cheaper overall compared to standard variable?

Interesting thread. Hopefully a few more who have experience of Tracker costs over winter might post their experience and cost comparison with Octopus Flexible.

Reading through the link @spdpsba kindly provided it's notable that you have to have a working (gas) smart meter - the emphasis being on working. We have had both gas and electric smart meters installed since last November but neither the original supplier nor Octopus have been able to get the gas one linked to the electric side yet and therefore provide automatic readings to the network - still a work in progress.

I've been on Tracker for gas for at least two winters and have mostly seen costs in the 3-4p/kWh ranges with occasional moves toward mid 5p and sometimes below 3p. Example from the latest bill attached & rates were similar to this throughout Jan-Feb-March as well.

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 14.43.31.png

Reactions: spdpsba and Roger20
Interesting thread. Hopefully a few more who have experience of Tracker costs over winter might post their experience and cost comparison with Octopus Flexible.
There are quite a few sites on the web with historical Tracker (and Agile) data, even for a whole year.

Examples are https://mysmartenergy.uk/Tracker/North-Wales,-Merseyside-and-Cheshire and Octopus Tracker Tariff Unit Rates for Today and Tomorrow | Octoprice but there are others.

There are also sites and apps (e.g. Octopus Compare) that will take your API key and compare how much you would've saved or not based on your actual usage.

Reactions: Roger20
I got the email saying accept t the terms and conditions of tracker and I have 28 days to take the tracker. But the t&c email doesn’t explicitly say only gas even though I ticked only gas. Wondering whether anyone has the experience of switching online to tracker only for gas?
When I switched back in 2022 I asked via Twitter (as it was then) and specifically said Tracker for gas only, please leave electricity as Intelligent Octopus. It’s safer to be specific and also have evidence of the request just in case (they confirmed the change in less than an hour).

I got the email saying accept t the terms and conditions of tracker and I have 28 days to take the tracker. But the t&c email doesn’t explicitly say only gas even though I ticked only gas. Wondering whether anyone has the experience of switching online to tracker only for gas?
I joined last night for gas only, accepted the t&c’s, like yours it didn’t explicitly say gas only but the switch was done immediately in the app for Gas and still have IOG for electricity

Attachments

• IMG_4014.png
    IMG_4014.png
    274.3 KB · Views: 5
We've been on the gas tracker tariff since last July when we switched away from the standard variable rate. Here's a comparison between Jan 2023 and Jan 2024, standing charge not included, comparable average temps for both months:

Jan '23: 2.224 MWh consumed, £249.68
Jan '24: 2.081 MWh consumed, £83.45

I guess we've been lucky this year; no guarantee the tariff will be in our favour next winter.