Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting conversation I had with Tesla rep about model S pricing going up in April

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My order is in factory queue but production not started. So what happens if I push the delivery out ? Any new features will be included by default and I pay more for the car or I need to request those upgrades and pay $500 change fee or I won't have options to add those features because Tesla already started sourcing components for my design?

Interesting conversation I had with Tesla rep about model S pricing going up ...

Please speculate.
Heh. On TMC there is no reason to ask members to speculate. In threads like this, all the posts are speculation. [emoji3]
Design Studio began showing new 19" base wheel design as of 3-4-2016... Silver Slipstream wheels... No effect on price.
Wow, I like those wheels! Major improvement.

The wheels are nice, I saw them today at the SC in TyCo, VA. The would probably be easier to clean than the standard issue. They could be readying the Gen2 Auto-pilot hardware for release (to coincide with the Model 3 announcement). I could see that impacting the price. Also, there's rumors of a 100 kW battery pack in the makings. So, they will probably offer 70, 90 and 100 kW packs in the near future. My question is this: What will be the offer for current owners to "upgrade" their battery pack to a larger/newer one?

I was going to jump on an inventory car that has most of what I wanted to pocket the referral savings + transport costs but now I'm torn. Not only the base new rims are close to the cyclone ($2500 option) which annihilate any savings, but then as I was upgrading from my March 2014 85 to essentially get Autopilot, I would as well wait 3 weeks not to have to miss another hardware update. Maybe nothing new in term of Autopilot hardware, but some other elements are waiting to be refreshed, MCU maybe? We'll see!

Why would you say this? How many times in your 85 have you been close or run out of juice?

Makes a difference for me too for being able to travel at real world speeds on long road trips and skip superchargers that might be slightly off one's route. On my regular 300 mile route from So Cal to Mammoth a 100D would make it comfortable to skip one of the two superchargers on the route (the one which is a slight detour off the highway) while still driving at 80 mph or so on that lonely desert road that gradually gains elevation. A 90D will do it also, but with little margin - and after the pack has some miles on it, might not do it at all.

Last edited:
The wheels are nice, I saw them today at the SC in TyCo, VA. The would probably be easier to clean than the standard issue. They could be readying the Gen2 Auto-pilot hardware for release (to coincide with the Model 3 announcement). I could see that impacting the price. Also, there's rumors of a 100 kW battery pack in the makings. So, they will probably offer 70, 90 and 100 kW packs in the near future. My question is this: What will be the offer for current owners to "upgrade" their battery pack to a larger/newer one?

Where'd you see the new wheels? On show cars?

Do you really think the 19" cyclone cost more to produce than the standard 19".
wheels.jpg

Design Studio began showing new 19" base wheel design as of 3-4-2016... Silver Slipstream wheels... No effect on price.

Heh. On TMC there is no reason to ask members to speculate. In threads like this, all the posts are speculation. [emoji3] Wow, I like those wheels! Major improvement.

The wheels are nice, I saw them today at the SC in TyCo, VA. The would probably be easier to clean than the standard issue.
They could be readying the Gen2 Auto-pilot hardware for release (to coincide with the Model 3 announcement). I could see that impacting the price. Also, there's rumors of a 100 kW battery pack in the makings. So, they will probably offer 70, 90 and 100 kW packs in the near future. My question is this: What will be the offer for current owners to "upgrade" their battery pack to a larger/newer one?

The new 19" are a major improvement and look very similar to the 21" Turbine wheels :cool:

New slipstream wheels 19.PNG

I confirmed an order on Feb 26 for a P90D and it currently says March - early April for delivery. I sent an email to my DS yesterday asking if I could remove some options and add Ludicrous mode. She said I would need to cancel my order and lose my $2500 deposit and order again. This is before I read about all these changes with the wheels and 100D speculation. Clearly would be pissed if I missed these changes by a few days. I wonder if I should push back delivery. Thoughts?

I confirmed an order on Feb 26 for a P90D and it currently says March - early April for delivery. I sent an email to my DS yesterday asking if I could remove some options and add Ludicrous mode. She said I would need to cancel my order and lose my $2500 deposit and order again. This is before I read about all these changes with the wheels and 100D speculation. Clearly would be pissed if I missed these changes by a few days. I wonder if I should push back delivery. Thoughts?

Not quite the same scenario but my dealer said that if new features were announced and your car was not in production yet that you would have the option to add the feature for no charge if it was a no cost option and if it cost money you would given the chance to pay for the feature and include it on your build. I'm hoping that's the case with the new wheels.