Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And now it’s my turn to feel old…. “In my day, I rode around in a $100 VW Beetle with a plywood floor to cover the rusted out portion with completely shot shocks. Every time I went over a pothole, I almost ended up going through the plywood and making the car a Flintstones car.” Kids these days don’t understand the meaning of a rough ride.
Some of my earliest driving was on a dairy farm in a yellow IH Scout 4x4 with manual steering. No suspension to speak of and manual steering that would almost dislocate my shoulders when I hit a rut in a field - good times. But now probably considered a “fanboy” because I like the MY ride and some can’t believe that’s possible without drinking the juice, while their opinion is the only “correct” one. Gotta love it…. 🙄🙄🙄

Some of my earliest driving was on a dairy farm in a yellow IH Scout 4x4 with manual steering. No suspension to speak of and manual steering that would almost dislocate my shoulders when I hit a rut in a field - good times. But now probably considered a “fanboy” because I like the MY ride and some can’t believe that’s possible without drinking the juice, while their opinion is the only “correct” one. Gotta love it…. 🙄🙄🙄
Nope - liking Tesla doesn’t make you a fanboy. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Finding excuses for every flaw like some people do, however…

I would certainly hope that a $70k car built today has a better suspension than a $100 VW beetle from 50 years ago with a rusted out frame or a Scout 4x4, though!

Reactions: kavyboy and voxel
I encourage everyone who is not happy with Tesla to move on to the so called superior EVs from legacy automakers. Please guys, don’t just do the talk.
So no one is allowed to disagree or have anything negative to say about Tesla because it destroys the perception that Tesla is perfect in all ways. Got it.

Not everythign is black and white, you know (maybe that’s why had your previous picture of the tesla bot?)

Nope - liking Tesla doesn’t make you a fanboy. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Finding excuses for every flaw like some people do, however…

I would certainly hope that a $70k car built today has a better suspension than a $100 VW beetle from 50 years ago with a rusted out frame or a Scout 4x4, though!
So what would you call dozens of posts complaining about the suspension without taking any significant steps to improve it to your liking? Tilting at windmills perhaps? Or conceding that others may have an opinion different than your own and may not be “wrong”?

• Love
Reactions: WhiteWi
I have read a lot about the stiff suspension and now that I own the Y I do notice that it is stiffer than my previous car, Jeep Grand Cherokee.

However, I wonder how much of the difference between the 2 cars is suspension or tire pressure? My Jeep was set at 33psi versus 42 psi. That’s a big difference. Even with my Jeep I noticed the stiffer ride when I would fill my tires with air after getting a low psi warning.

What is the ioniq 5 tires psi set to when comparing the ride to the model Y?
I came from an ID.4 to Model Y and you immediately notice the stiff suspension.

Ioniq 5 has a RAV4 softer suspension - probably close to a Telluride. The ID.4 takes that softness up one notch as I recall running over potholes/divets and never feeling them.

As for the Ioniq 5... it is flawed. I disliked the top trim stereo and found the ventilated seats painful and the handling was too sedan/boat like. The Genesis GV60 EV seems to fix these nagging issues. I wanted an EV6/Ioniq 5 hybrid and the new Genesis might be it. I much prefer the EV6 handling but the interior is a dark cave.

Reactions: sleepydoc
So what would you call dozens of posts complaining about the suspension without taking any significant steps to improve it to your liking? Tilting at windmills perhaps? Or conceding that others may have an opinion different than your own and may not be “wrong”?
First, I have never said that someone was wrong for liking the suspension. I have disputed arguments that it has to be the way it is but that is different from denying someone’s opinion.

Second, I have changed the air pressure in my tires. After that, the two options are buying new wheels and tires (a $2-3000 expense) or getting a new suspension such as the Mountain Pass Performance package for about $4000 (including installation). I am not eager to spend $3-4k without being assured that it will actually make meaningful improvements so I’m looking for someone local that has done such an upgrade so I can take a test drive before I spend the money. What else would you have me do? I’m open to suggestions.

Reactions: voxel
First, I have never said that someone was wrong for liking the suspension. I have disputed arguments that it has to be the way it is but that is different from denying someone’s opinion.

Second, I have changed the air pressure in my tires. After that, the two options are buying new wheels and tires (a $2-3000 expense) or getting a new suspension such as the Mountain Pass Performance package for about $4000 (including installation). I am not eager to spend $3-4k without being assured that it will actually make meaningful improvements so I’m looking for someone local that has done such an upgrade so I can take a test drive before I spend the money. What else would you have me do? I’m open to suggestions.
If I was in your shoes I would either learn to live with it, spring for a suspension upgrade (lot's of good reviews here), or sell the car (excellent time but peak is passing!). I had a similar choice when my wife had trouble getting in and out of my M3 so I ordered an MY Jan 2020, sold my M3 that same month, and waited 'til Jun to pick up my MY, driving my commuter Honda Fit in the interim (loved it, gave it to my son after 15 years but I digress). The point is I had an issue with the M3 and dealt with it, haven't looked back. Since you asked, what I wouldn't do is take every opportunity to complain about the suspension here but would take action and move on. But that's me, seems the logical route.

Last edited:
So no one is allowed to disagree or have anything negative to say about Tesla because it destroys the perception that Tesla is perfect in all ways. Got it.

Not everythign is black and white, you know (maybe that’s why had your previous picture of the tesla bot?)
Tesla is FAR from perfect which is why there are so many things on our “wishlists”. The battery pack and motors are currently the best production car combos. With limited real competitors, it’s tough to really mass produce the EVs the same way Tesla has been doing it. I hope that there is more production for every company soon. Kia/Hyundai are currently in 5th place for 2022 deliveries which is not bad but it’s still less than 1/3rd of Tesla’s deliveries. SAIC and BYD in 2nd and 3rd place combined deliveries still fall slightly behind Tesla. Until we see an uptick in overall EV deliveries, I don’t see prices dropping rapidly or further accelerated innovation in EVs. We need more EVs.

Tesla is FAR from perfect which is why there are so many things on our “wishlists”. The battery pack and motors are currently the best production car combos. With limited real competitors, it’s tough to really mass produce the EVs the same way Tesla has been doing it. I hope that there is more production for every company soon. Kia/Hyundai are currently in 5th place for 2022 deliveries which is not bad but it’s still less than 1/3rd of Tesla’s deliveries. SAIC and BYD in 2nd and 3rd place combined deliveries still fall slightly behind Tesla. Until we see an uptick in overall EV deliveries, I don’t see prices dropping rapidly or further accelerated innovation in EVs. We need more EVs.
👍💯

If I was in your shoes I would either learn to live with it, spring for a suspension upgrade (lot's of good reviews here), or sell the car (excellent time but peak is passing!). I had a similar choice when my wife had trouble getting in and out of my M3 so I ordered an MY Jan 2020, sold my M3 that same month, and waited 'til Jun to pick up my MY, driving my commuter Honda Fit in the interim (loved it, gave it to my son after 15 years but I digress). The point is I had an issue with the M3 and dealt with it, haven't looked back. Since you asked, what I wouldn't do is take every opportunity to complain about the suspension here but would take action and move on. But that's me, seems the logical route.
Hopefully Tesla will make a Model Y with air suspension at some point but I think it’s reserved for the S and X. The Mercedes EQS has “dreamy” air suspension but it’s also $150k. I agree that we all compromise with what is available on the market. I’m just glad that suspension overall is much better nowadays than 50 years ago.

Saw this on the blog page:

I tried looking for the article on the magazine's web site. I didn't see the exact one but I did find this one that compared the Model Y, the Audi Q4 e-tron and the EV6. It seems to be a pretty complete and balanced comparison of the 3 cars and rated the Y highly but gave the edge to the EV6. (coincidentally, the suspension was one of their complaints.) Regardless, if you're interested in any of the 3 cars it's worth looking at.

Hopefully Tesla will make a Model Y with air suspension at some point but I think it’s reserved for the S and X. The Mercedes EQS has “dreamy” air suspension but it’s also $150k. I agree that we all compromise with what is available on the market. I’m just glad that suspension overall is much better nowadays than 50 years ago.
totally agree. From the article I posted above, "we can’t help but wonder how much better it could have been if Tesla had spent more time polishing its dynamics. With a smoother ride and quieter cruising manners, the Model Y could be a class leader."

Many people (maybe most?) buy a compact SUV as a practical hybrid of a sedan and minivan. Better driving position, easier entry and better storage than an sedan but more fun and not as 'frumpy' as a minivan. These people enjoy the acceleration but aren't looking for sports cars, they're looking for a good car to drive. It would make total sense for Tesla to have a more comfortable suspension in the LR model and a sport tuned suspension in the performance model.

My main complaints with my MY have been ride, the crappy adaptive cruise and the way they messed up the V11 UI. I'm on an old software version, but from the reports it sounds like they are making good strides in phantom braking and they have also worked on fixing some of the faults and deficiencies of the UI. Maybe they could get some of the folks from Öhlins or Moutain Pass Performance to their design lab and tweak the suspension a bit. Despite my complaints, the MY is overall a good car. With a bit of work it could be an incredible car.

Reactions: Exelion
Personally, I really like a firm suspension. Our Model 3 LR suspension is pretty much ideal from my perspective. I have heard some say that the Model Y suspension is stiffer still, albeit I did not notice that when driving my in-laws' Y. I guess though that it would be nice if Tesla would offer a choice, for people who like a softer suspension.

I’m just glad that suspension overall is much better nowadays than 50 years ago.
Well yeah, the VW and IH Scout comments were just a couple of "experienced" guys commiserating of course. I've had enough "floaty" BMW and other car time to really appreciate the MY though. I recently switched to the "sport" steering after 2 years and like that better too! But as with all the comments here, it's my opinion and YMMV.... :cool: