Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like the Tesla cool aid drinkers are still in full force. I haven't been on in a while but to chime in, I still love my Ioniq 5 but there are some things I hate that people should be aware. The sound system (bose) on the top trim SUCKS like horribly bad and I do miss the large screen in the Y and that if I want to go somewhere it tells me the chargers along the way. I also miss the premium connectivity with the music.

Now the pros, the ride quality is amazing, it's soft and drives very comfortably while handling corners decently. You an control the level of regenerative braking, this is VERY helpful in the rain or snow. There is carplay but it's wired, you can buy the wireless dongle though. Also there is no boominess/pressure that is prevalent in the Y. Overall if I had to chose an EV it would be the I5 over the Y due to the comfort, features and service. This may seem silly but I was always worried if someone rear ends the Y I would have to wait months just for parts whereas I can go to different Hyundai dealers that may have the part in stock. Finally, the $7,500 tax credit is where it's at, so for $57k for the top loaded model you're looking at $50kish, is the Y worth the extra $13k-15k?

As for road trips/charging network, I and most people I know use it to commute to/from work during the week days and it's a great car to go run errands around town. Not to bash on Tesla but if they had better build quality and features, I would have chosen the Y.

...This may seem silly but I was always worried if someone rear ends the Y I would have to wait months just for parts whereas I can go to different Hyundai dealers that may have the part in stock...
Yup, silly. Do you really believe that Hyundai is going to bet better at "dealer" parts than any other OEM? Go read a Ford Mach E forum and see how "wonderful" the parts situation is.

It seems like the Tesla cool aid drinkers are still in full force. I haven't been on in a while but to chime in, I still love my Ioniq 5 but there are some things I hate that people should be aware. The sound system (bose) on the top trim SUCKS like horribly bad and I do miss the large screen in the Y and that if I want to go somewhere it tells me the chargers along the way. I also miss the premium connectivity with the music.

Now the pros, the ride quality is amazing, it's soft and drives very comfortably while handling corners decently. You an control the level of regenerative braking, this is VERY helpful in the rain or snow. There is carplay but it's wired, you can buy the wireless dongle though. Also there is no boominess/pressure that is prevalent in the Y. Overall if I had to chose an EV it would be the I5 over the Y due to the comfort, features and service. This may seem silly but I was always worried if someone rear ends the Y I would have to wait months just for parts whereas I can go to different Hyundai dealers that may have the part in stock. Finally, the $7,500 tax credit is where it's at, so for $57k for the top loaded model you're looking at $50kish, is the Y worth the extra $13k-15k?

As for road trips/charging network, I and most people I know use it to commute to/from work during the week days and it's a great car to go run errands around town. Not to bash on Tesla but if they had better build quality and features, I would have chosen the Y.
There are plenty of rational people around, too - they're just drowned out by all the fanboys.

Glad you like your Hyundai. Ride quality is one of the biggest flaws of the Y. People try to make excuses for it by saying 'it's a heavy car' (yeah, but so's the Hyundai, and other cars, and they ride better,) 'it's a sports car' (no, not really, it's just a fast EV,) etc. It's definitely possible to have a better suspension, so hopefully Tesla works on that for future versions.

I do think Tesla has gotten better on build quality but they definitely have had some growing pains.

The rebate is nice - it will go away eventually, but while it's there you can't argue with $7500.

As far as repairs go, I don't think you can necessarily count on parts being available for any car these days. I've had very good luck with my local Tesla service centers but ultimately, whether it's Tesla or another brand it's very location dependent. I've dealt with good dealers and also my share of bad dealers, too.

I'm enjoying watching this guys carefully crafted image, crumble.

There are plenty of rational people around, too - they're just drowned out by all the fanboys.

Glad you like your Hyundai. Ride quality is one of the biggest flaws of the Y. People try to make excuses for it by saying 'it's a heavy car' (yeah, but so's the Hyundai, and other cars, and they ride better,) 'it's a sports car' (no, not really, it's just a fast EV,) etc. It's definitely possible to have a better suspension, so hopefully Tesla works on that for future versions.
Not Correct. Tesla cars have stiffer suspension setup for performance oriented. It is personal preference. Old people should NOT buy tesla and complain about stiff ride. Why would you buy performance oriented cars and complain about the stiffer suspension which is required to support stable and sharper handling.
Again, go buy Buick or Toyota Avalon and be bored.

Not Correct. Tesla cars have stiffer suspension setup for performance oriented. It is personal preference. Old people should NOT buy tesla and complain about stiff ride. Why would you buy performance oriented cars and complain about the stiffer suspension which is required to support stable and sharper handling.

Not sure what the fuss over "stiff ride" is all about. Wifey and I are in our late 70s and both find the MY ride very comfortable. Made several long trips in the vehicle as well (AZ>Cape Cod>AZ and AZ>CA>AZ).

Rich

Not sure what the fuss over "stiff ride" is all about. Wifey and I are in our late 70s and both find the MY ride very comfortable. Made several long trips in the vehicle as well (AZ>Cape Cod>AZ and AZ>CA>AZ).

Rich
Let me correct my statement regarding "Old People". I would say "people with sensitive butt/bottom" who hates stiff ride (which is not true, but I am using their term), but the like the world
"performance" or "sport" for their car spec or option.

I have read a lot about the stiff suspension and now that I own the Y I do notice that it is stiffer than my previous car, Jeep Grand Cherokee.

However, I wonder how much of the difference between the 2 cars is suspension or tire pressure? My Jeep was set at 33psi versus 42 psi. That’s a big difference. Even with my Jeep I noticed the stiffer ride when I would fill my tires with air after getting a low psi warning.

What is the ioniq 5 tires psi set to when comparing the ride to the model Y?

...and cue the excuses! There are plenty of cars that have a stiff ride without being harsh. The issue isn't really that the suspension is stiff as much as its complete inability to absorb any imperfections or bumps in the road, thus the harshness. Plenty of people have upgraded the MY suspension with aftermarket systems, like the MPP setup and gotten a better ride without losing performance, so the notion that 'it has to be that way' is just plain false.

And I'll also point out that my 18 year old son spontaneously complained about the ride in our MY a few months ago after he drove it.

I have read a lot about the stiff suspension and now that I own the Y I do notice that it is stiffer than my previous car, Jeep Grand Cherokee.

However, I wonder how much of the difference between the 2 cars is suspension or tire pressure? My Jeep was set at 33psi versus 42 psi. That’s a big difference. Even with my Jeep I noticed the stiffer ride when I would fill my tires with air after getting a low psi warning.

What is the ioniq 5 tires psi set to when comparing the ride to the model Y?
Tire pressure does have something to do with it - I dropped my pressure to 40 PSI and it does help. If you drop it too much you compromise economy and range so it's a double edged sword. According to Google, the Ioniq specifies 34 PSI. It also uses 205/60 tires so the it's got a thicker sidewall than the Tesla's 255/45 tires, making it more able to absorb bumps and imperfections.

...and cue the excuses! There are plenty of cars that have a stiff ride without being harsh. The issue isn't really that the suspension is stiff as much as its complete inability to absorb any imperfections or bumps in the road, thus the harshness. Plenty of people have upgraded the MY suspension with aftermarket systems, like the MPP setup and gotten a better ride without losing performance, so the notion that 'it has to be that way' is just plain false.

And I'll also point out that my 18 year old son spontaneously complained about the ride in our MY a few months ago after he drove it.

Tire pressure does have something to do with it - I dropped my pressure to 40 PSI and it does help. If you drop it too much you compromise economy and range so it's a double edged sword. According to Google, the Ioniq specifies 34 PSI. It also uses 205/60 tires so the it's got a thicker sidewall than the Tesla's 255/45 tires, making it more able to absorb bumps and imperfections.

I am far from a tire expert. But why would Ioniq be set at 34 psi and Model Y at 42psi? Does it have to do with the tire or simply to improve economy and range?

Yup, silly. Do you really believe that Hyundai is going to bet better at "dealer" parts than any other OEM? Go read a Ford Mach E forum and see how "wonderful" the parts situation is.
new models have typically suffered on this, so yes, I don't think the I5/EV6 part supply will be particularly great. OTOH, after this many years, shouldn't Tesla be better?

With all due respect to your son's opinion, which you've mentioned a few times now in different posts, an 18 year old's thoughts on vehicle suspension quality doesn't carry quite the weight you think it does, just saying. ;).

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz and WhiteWi
With all due respect to your son's opinion, which you've mentioned a few times now in different posts, an 18 year old's thoughts on vehicle suspension quality doesn't carry quite the weight you think it does, just saying. ;).
perhaps, but I don't mention it because I consider him to be any sort of suspension expert. The fact that he noticed it and brought it up without me saying anything is the most telling. (as well as the fact that an 18 year old considers it to be too harsh.)

Last edited: