Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thx buddy! Love it. I’m pretty sure some or most of us here are investors and want to keep an eye on our so called “competitors”. That’s my reason to keep an close eyes on these others guys and also test drive them. The day I feel liked they caught up or im willing to buy one of their cars, I’ll be worry about my shares. 😬

Yea. If Im going to spend close to a model Y, I need to check most of my boxes. If not , just go after the base model, single motor and commute with it. Hopefully u can get it for MSRP and get the tax credit. If so, u saved easy 20k ish and there’s no complaints. Lol
Yeah got it at MSRP and $7500 rebate are the only reasons I did it. Also I felt I got blinded by all the positive and over the top reviews on YouTube and the awards it won (car of the year 2022?). I meant Ioniq 5 is a good car and does everything well but nothing outstanding. I feel there’s a biased now in YouTube review community that it is cool to promote Tesla competitors and talk down Tesla because it sells the ad and attracts the clicks. It is partially my fault I guess. I spent 57k so you don’t have to!

Yeah got it at MSRP and $7500 rebate are the only reasons I did it. Also I felt I got blinded by all the positive and over the top reviews on YouTube and the awards it won (car of the year 2022?). I meant Ioniq 5 is a good car and does everything well but nothing outstanding. I feel there’s a biased now in YouTube review community that it is cool to promote Tesla competitors and talk down Tesla because it sells the ad and attracts the clicks. It is partially my fault I guess. I spent 57k so you don’t have to!
Are you saying that you wouldn’t get the Ioniq5 if you could do it over? Your list of gripes seems to be pretty long.

Are you saying that you wouldn’t get the Ioniq5 if you could do it over? Your list of gripes seems to be pretty long.
Yeah if there’s no car shortage, and all the cars like Mach-E, MY, e-Tron…etc are readily available, I would not have bought I5. Wife hates the look of the car outside and inside and almost talked me out of it at the dealership. Lol.

Yeah if there’s no car shortage, and all the cars like Mach-E, MY, e-Tron…etc are readily available, I would not have bought I5. Wife hates the look of the car outside and inside and almost talked me out of it at the dealership. Lol.
Isn’t the Ioniq5 for your wife? Or do you guys switch cars? I guess if she hates the Ioniq5 it must be your idea. LOL!

At least in this market you should have no issues trading out of it if and when something else becomes available.

Isn’t the Ioniq5 for your wife? Or do you guys switch cars? I guess if she hates the Ioniq5 it must be your idea. LOL!

At least in this market you should have no issues trading out of it if and when something else becomes available.
I bought MYP for me then she likes it too much and just stole from me. I was banished to drive the old minivan that she doesn’t want to touch. So I decided to get the I5. I also have another MYP on order so will see in a month or two how I feel about I5.

That's probably the worse aspect for me regardless of brand cuz you know you will keep hearing that forever.

• Funny
Reactions: Nrvna76
I really wanted to like the Ioniq 5, but too many "nopes." Have a MY on lease (first Tesla, just wanted to make sure. Big mistake. Car is great. Not a single flaw and we love it. And can't buy it back from Tesla. Go figure.) which is ending Nov 2023. Have a M3 SR on order (July 11th~Aug 8th EDD window. Anyone wanna buy a bridge I own in Brooklyn??).

Debating on the replacement Tesla for the MY. Gonna test drive the X. Wifey and I do around 8,000 road miles a year in our Tesla and there is no other EV manufacturer which makes road-tripping this painless. If there were, I'd buy it!!

Rich

Yes. The Supercharger network is the "not-so-secret" sauce that other EVs do not enjoy. No way i'd try a trip in a non-Tesla EV right now. STILL too much of a crapshoot...especially for the un-initiated new EV owner out there.

Now...when the Supercharger network opens up to the others...hmmm. THAT will be most interesting to the perception that an EV can REPLACE a gasser. not everyone drives farther than 500 miles at a time, but perception that an EV can do that is huge. Perception.

most of my conversations with interested parties asking about my EV experience are overly impressed that i've driven my car on long distance trips (over 1300 miles over 2 days typically) with NO charging issues or worries. it is so simple and easy and stress free.

Now...when the Supercharger network opens up to the others...hmmm. THAT will be most interesting to the perception that an EV can REPLACE a gasser. not everyone drives farther than 500 miles at a time, but perception that an EV can do that is huge. Perception.
I lean to thinking that the CCS network will reach parity (which translates to superior given the current ratio of Tesla to non, and the limited availability of the CCS adapter for Teslas) well before the SC network is opened.

Yes. The Supercharger network is the "not-so-secret" sauce that other EVs do not enjoy. No way i'd try a trip in a non-Tesla EV right now. STILL too much of a crapshoot...especially for the un-initiated new EV owner out there. ...

You are spot-on. I've driven a Chevy Bolt from Cape Cod to AZ, and our Tesla from AZ>Cape Cod>AZ (did a San Diego trip last week in the MY as well). The Bolt trip was "an adventure." The Tesla trips non-events. I tell anyone who will listen; if ya want a local runabout then any EV will do. If you plan on going anywhere then your only truly viable option is a Tesla.

I don't drink the cool-aid, I'm not a cult-member. But facts are facts.

Rich

Keep an eye out for the 12 volt battery in the Ioniq 5 for some reason there is a phantom drain that is killing the battery. Hyundai has yet to find the problem and they are just swapping out batteries with new ones in the meantime. Maybe keep a portable jump stater in the car for backup until recall or OTA update is sent out.
I was so concerned about that issue, that I bought a jump start box just in case. Fortunately, I did not have to use it on the IONIQ 5 before I sold it.
My wife's gf was over the other night and when she went out to leave, her car wouldn't start. I used the box and WOW! Cranked right up and the box still showed 98% remaining strength. A worthwhile investment with any car at about 85 bucks.

I was so concerned about that issue, that I bought a jump start box just in case. Fortunately, I did not have to use it on the IONIQ 5 before I sold it.
My wife's gf was over the other night and when she went out to leave, her car wouldn't start. I used the box and WOW! Cranked right up and the box still showed 98% remaining strength. A worthwhile investment with any car at about 85 bucks.
Did your wife's friend have an Ioniq 5 as well? Also what jump box did you buy? Nice to have one for road trips along with an air compressor.

I was quoting the article linked in this thread to get my numbers.

I took their actual miles and divided it by the manufacturers stated kWh for those models.

Obviously different tests are going to get different results for all kinds of reasons.

PS. I see now that the standard for EVs is to calculate the kw's used per mile. Which is fine, same thing stated a different way.
Yet another test showing how much more efficient the Model Y is than the Ioniq 5.
(Obviously this is the correct comparison, rather than comparing to the completely different Hyundai Ioniq EV as you seem to have done.)

Reactions: voxel and WhiteWi
Yet another test showing how much more efficient the Model Y is than the Ioniq 5.
(Obviously this is the correct comparison, rather than comparing to the completely different Hyundai Ioniq EV as you seem to have done.)

Pretty much well known. The Y's efficiency is EV-crossover class leading. The Ioniq 5 is a softer ride (as mentioned in the video) with a less cargo space. It's basically a sedan/wagon to me. Can't go wrong with either choice IMO.

1652565023827.png

Reactions: Daekwan
Did your wife's friend have an Ioniq 5 as well? Also what jump box did you buy? Nice to have one for road trips along with an air compressor.
No, she had a Honda. Got the Type S Jump Box and it worked like a charm dropping the charge status by only 2%. Small, available and it works well.
Portable Battery Jump Starters
The nice part of it is that I shouldn't ever need it with my new MYP with a lithium battery! Always around to help others.

Pretty much well known. The Y's efficiency is EV-crossover class leading. The Ioniq 5 is a softer ride (as mentioned in the video) with a less cargo space. It's basically a sedan/wagon to me. Can't go wrong with either choice IMO.

View attachment 804330
The IONIQ 5 does have a softer ride, but the weeble-wobble constant steering correction drove me nutz. A great first attempt by Hyundai.
I am so neurologically in tune with the Tesla, that the only way I could use the steering assist safely was to leave it turned off.
They IONIQ 5 range is spot on actual range though, compared to Tesla's uneducated and under-represented guess.